WHAT HAPPENS -rain/mud Lincoln JIM (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Jim

As you are the marshall this year.. what happens if we get the rain and wind we had last year being down in the show ring? Those of us that were down there had some real problems getting out at the end of the show. Front wheel drive motorhomes seemed to churn up the mud ramp to the normal level. It seemed some members of some of the clubs in the area had no idea how to drive a front wheel drive in mud and just gunned it and mad one hell of a mess.

It spoilt the weekend worrying about how we were to get out of the show ring at the end of the show. It is such a worry that we will not decide if we are going to come until we know the weather for the show period.

One wonders if Warners have given any consideration to the issue of possible damage to motorhomes by putting the vehicles down in the show ring. They eventually stopped new arrivals from coming down the ramp, but by then the damage was done.

Plus the water was miles away from the location. I wonder Jim have you given this any consideration or as Marshall will you be expressing any concerns to Warners about the fears?

Water was up the side of tyres on some vehicles. I am concerned as the RV is heavy with the trailer. The last thing I need is to be bogged down on the ramp.. last year it was a real problem getting up the ramp even with twin rear wheels drive.

Bob:Sad:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I haven't been to Lincoln in years and have no idea about layout. But I'll be there early to check it out and will post about the conditions on Wednesday night /Thursday morning. I have a trailer too, and a trailer with front wheel drive is a good recipe for getting stuck, at least you have rear wheel drive. :Smile:

I never worry about it to much about getting stuck, I've seen hundreds of people stuck in all sorts of places over the years, none of them are still there::bigsmile:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
There I was Jim thinking I would be there until 2012

I haven't been to Lincoln in years and have no idea about layout. But I'll be there early to check it out and will post about the conditions on Wednesday night /Thursday morning. I have a trailer too, and a trailer with front wheel drive is a good recipe for getting stuck, at least you have rear wheel drive. :Smile:

I never worry about it to much about getting stuck, I've seen hundreds of people stuck in all sorts of places over the years, none of them are still there::bigsmile:

There I was Jim thinking I would be still there in 2012.

But would be good if you could post a report...

See you Thursday

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
there will be plenty of us to pull,push,lift, and laugh,dont worry we will all help each other:thumb::thumb:
and it aint going to rain, i have canceled all rain that weekend:thumb::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my experience you can protest all you want to warners but they'll take no notice.....if the site plan says you are in the arena, then you are in the arena...end of story :Angry:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Strikes me your not going to get a lot of sense out of this post Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When I am on site with the Landy as everyone is aware I am only to happy to help anyone stuck but at Shepton on issue became apparent and that is not all motor homes have a suitable recovery point on the front to pull from and using the back up idea of a tow strop around the front axle has two issues one is the risk of contact between the strop and the vehicles body and secondly whos the idot thats going to limbo under a sunken RV :Eeek::Eeek:

I am out for one - to fat and too old :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Strikes me your not going to get a lot of sense out of this post Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

y and secondly whos the idot thats going to limbo under a sunken RV :Eeek::Eeek:

Hi Bill
THATS the driver's job ::bigsmile:
Nigel & Pamala

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

When I am on site with the Landy as everyone is aware I am only to happy to help anyone stuck but at Shepton on issue became apparent and that is not all motor homes have a suitable recovery point on the front to pull from and using the back up idea of a tow strop around the front axle has two issues one is the risk of contact between the strop and the vehicles body and secondly whos the idot thats going to limbo under a sunken RV :Eeek::Eeek:

Most Europeans have a towing eye at the front, whereas many American A Class RVs are not towable from the front and owners should always bear this in mind when pitching up anywhere . I've towed a 40ft Monoco Cayman out of mud with a Lanny , but from the back. The RV I owned could be towed from the front because the front skirt was higher than the axle so it was easy to get a straight pull on it.

I have my bread crates at the ready::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont even have to bend down to hook the chain on this old girl...Just sit on the bumper and hook it on...Having said that have never had to be pulled out but have pulled a few others out of the s**t with it.

Attachments

• $R75ZRED.jpg
    $R75ZRED.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 20

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If in dount I always park so tow bars accessible to a tow vehicle.

Now Snowy your just showing off BTW:winky::ROFLMAO:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
As it looks like I'm not going to get there til Sat morning, I'll be left with the shittiest pitch then:Doh:

I'll bring a llllllllllllllllooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg rope:thumb::roflmto:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I don't know what you are all worried about...

THIS IS GOD'S COUNTY.....you think he/she will let it rain here??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Dont know why peeps are worried about rain ,jim wont let it rain,iv seen jim walk on water, so stopping rain is well within his capabilties:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Its goanna be a lovely weekend, not much rain:winky:

THIS IS GOD'S COUNTY.....you think he/she will let it rain here??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Best way to look at it,A SUNNY WEEKEND FOR ALL :thumb:

Hey stop, I'm not buying you all a beer:roflmto::roflmto:

Oct 2, 2007
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Loads of years
Never been to Lincoln, but getting stuck in at Shepton and reading other threads about Lincoln will l make me think twice where i go when i get there. If i think it's to bad then i will park elsewhere. I dont want my motor home damaged. I can do that by myselfl :Blush::Blush:Blush::
Gary&Barb

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The other problem with this is what about the disability scooters? Could they get up to the showground? I can't remember last year.... other than the fear of getting stuck, but grateful that the winds blew over the top of the motorhomes whilst in the pit.

I do know that at another show it was impossible for some disabled people to attend the show and the entertainment because of the muddy field ... and THAT was in the disabled section. Straw set out as a path to the top of the bank would have made a big difference.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
From a 10 day weather forecast

Well folks just looked at the weather for Lincoln on a 10 day weather forecast and it generally looks pretty good - about as good as Shepton or a shade better

Thursday is showing as good during the day with a few light showers overnight -
Friday is dry all day with a very slight risk of a light shower overnight -
Saturday is occasional showers throughout the day and possible light shower overnight -
Sunday dry and overcast all day - possible shower overnight -
Monday Dry to start possible rain overnight but who care we will all be gone by then

BUT if it all goes wrong just bear in mind I am the messanger not the forecaster :biggrin:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
The other problem with this is what about the disability scooters? Could they get up to the showground? I can't remember last year.... other than the fear of getting stuck, but grateful that the winds blew over the top of the motorhomes whilst in the pit.

I do know that at another show it was impossible for some disabled people to attend the show and the entertainment because of the muddy field ... and THAT was in the disabled section. Straw set out as a path to the top of the bank would have made a big difference.

you can always get smudger to pull them out with is wheelchair:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Jim

As you are the marshall this year.. what happens if we get the rain and wind we had last year being down in the show ring? Those of us that were down there had some real problems getting out at the end of the show. Front wheel drive motorhomes seemed to churn up the mud ramp to the normal level. It seemed some members of some of the clubs in the area had no idea how to drive a front wheel drive in mud and just gunned it and mad one hell of a mess.

It spoilt the weekend worrying about how we were to get out of the show ring at the end of the show. It is such a worry that we will not decide if we are going to come until we know the weather for the show period.

One wonders if Warners have given any consideration to the issue of possible damage to motorhomes by putting the vehicles down in the show ring. They eventually stopped new arrivals from coming down the ramp, but by then the damage was done.

Plus the water was miles away from the location. I wonder Jim have you given this any consideration or as Marshall will you be expressing any concerns to Warners about the fears?

Water was up the side of tyres on some vehicles. I am concerned as the RV is heavy with the trailer. The last thing I need is to be bogged down on the ramp.. last year it was a real problem getting up the ramp even with twin rear wheels drive.

Hi Bob, you have got a good point there, in fact as living on the South Coast, this year I have opted to see the weather forcast, and if it is O.K, will tavel and use the general area, and pop over to see you in fun...........Del

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Last year we parked with MCC we were with friends who were not members of Fun. We visited the area that Fun was in only once, Amanda's scooter had to be pushed up incline out of the section fun was in, it was very muddy and i remember thinking at the time how restricting in would have been to get to the show on a daily basis with disability scooter. We to are concerned about this, we are booked with fun this year, its a great club to park with, but it seems that lately warners do seem to put fun in some of the NOT SO NICE AREAS. Somtimes it can have its advantages but more than not i believe it will make peolpe think twice about booking with Fun, which is sad. I do realise that there is a Disabled area and it is a risk we have to take, when parking with other groups. We to will have to decide on the day, it will be interesting to see how accomodating Warner's will be on the day too where we will be put if we say no to the Fun area.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Damage it yourself Gary!!!!

Never been to Lincoln, but getting stuck in at Shepton and reading other threads about Lincoln will l make me think twice where i go when i get there. If i think it's to bad then i will park elsewhere. I dont want my motor home damaged. I can do that by myselfl :Blush::Blush:Blush::
Gary&Barb

Bill really enjoyed towing you out of the mud.. but it makes the point it had to be pull from the Reece tow hitch.. and your RV is serious weight 16 tons? Bill and I were only discussing that this morning on the phone... thinking about trees.. or using ground stakes like Jims tent pegs.. Interesting final solution... dumping air

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my scooter is not 4 wheel drive

you can always get smudger to pull them out with is wheelchair:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My scooter is not 4 wheel drive .. the muddy slope caused me serious problems a) gettting water an b) getting to the show..... Warners do not think MHF members may use wheelchairs or scooters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back