Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
I'm having a problem with my sprintsift gearbox so before taking out a second mortgage in order to visit a mercedes garage I thought I'd see if any of you fellow motorhomers could help.My Challenger is based on a Mercedes Spinter 316 CDI with a 6 speed sprintshift gearbox.When I drive it in auto mode it goes up through the gears ok untill it gets to 5th or 6th gear then it goes into manual mode and I have to stop, turn off the engine,restart,go to auto and the same thing happens again.It drives fine in manual mode but I do need the auto.
It has only done 20,000 miles.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Bob

Deleted User
I'm having a problem with my sprintsift gearbox so before taking out a second mortgage in order to visit a mercedes garage I thought I'd see if any of you fellow motorhomers could help.My Challenger is based on a Mercedes Spinter 316 CDI with a 6 speed sprintshift gearbox.When I drive it in auto mode it goes up through the gears ok untill it gets to 5th or 6th gear then it goes into manual mode and I have to stop, turn off the engine,restart,go to auto and the same thing happens again.It drives fine in manual mode but I do need the auto.
Bob

sounds like a software problem in the gearbox management only answer is bite the bullet, take it to a commercial mercedes dealer and get it put on the computer.

spongy

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Does need reading by the sounds of it - on the plus side, they should cover it under warranty I would have thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Golly - how long are the Merc gearboxes warrantied for, then?

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Mercedes

|Try the mercedesbenz forums they're usually very good at solving problems.
| had a problem with our merc last week and the main dealer did a star diagnostic on it and solved our problem in a couple of hours and was lot cheaper than we had thought.
Ours was a similar problem the engine just cut out when driving along whch is quite scary
when power steering and brakes suddenly stop working and you have to stop inorder to start the engine. Ours was an alarm fault new alarm and no probs since
Alan

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Golly - how long are the Merc gearboxes warrantied for, then?

It's only done 20k - should be covered by warranty I would have thought! Isuzu covered my old trooper injectors at 160k....lots can be achieved if you ask!:winky:

Anyway, had a quick word with a man holding a spanner in his right hand, and he says.

'Speed sensor in the gearbox, locks in 4th, right?'

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
It's only done 20k - should be covered by warranty I would have thought! Isuzu covered my old trooper injectors at 160k....lots can be achieved if you ask!:winky:

Anyway, had a quick word with a man holding a spanner in his right hand, and he says.

'Speed sensor in the gearbox, locks in 4th, right?'

wouldnt of thought so as the OP states his van is 2003 so highly unlikely to have warranty at 8 years old.

I would take it to the Merc garage, get it read and find out the problem. I done a similar thing with our Merc engine on a car. They plugged it in, read it, told me what the problem was and gave me the option to get it fixed elsewhere. I didn't in the end, I got them to do it, it was only the air bag warning light but there's about 12 sensors, having it plugged in meant it was able to identify the correct one.

forgt to say, £58 +Vat to have it read

johnwjw

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
Ottershaw, Chertsey, Sry
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Sprintshift Gearbox on Merc 316 CDi Autotrail Scout

I also recently had a very similar problem to that reported by GOG (i.e. gearbox will only run in manual not auto, and engine runs in reduced power "limp home" mode). This immediately followed an engine and habitation service by a major motorhome dealer. I had little choice but to get it computer scanned by a Merc commercial dealer. The service by Rossetts in Aldershot was excellent. The diagnosis and outcome was pretty pleasing as well. It turned out a vacuum pipe had been displaced probably inadvertently during the air cleaner change. Reconnection immediatelly resulted in normal gearbox auto operation and restoration of full engine power. The cost a mini scan and half an hour labour £71 +vat.
Negotiation with the Motorhome service provider in progress. Outcome to be advised.

JohnW

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The first easiest thing to do is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to re-set the ECU then try it out. I had a Ford auto that once went silly but was OK once I re-set in this way.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The first easiest thing to do is to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to re-set the ECU then try it out. I had a Ford auto that once went silly but was OK once I re-set in this way.
ECU reset on a merc is a workshop job. Battery should NOT be disconnected or it will require towing to a merc workshop to get you going again thats what I was told any way.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
ECU reset on a merc is a workshop job. Battery should NOT be disconnected or it will require towing to a merc workshop to get you going again thats what I was told any way.

So what you are saying is that if you get a flat battery or need to replace it you have to go to mercedes. I doubt it very much.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Bob

The same problem in France in July. The van has done 15k miles. Lost auto intermittently but would drive in manual. Loss of power and maximum speed of about 30 MPH. No pull and slowed to almost stop when on the slightest incline. VERY scarey slowing to 18MPH on a busy motorway, foot hard down. :Sad:

Merc dealer sorted it. Something to do with the 'engine management system' and a 'relay', I think. Cost around £70 to repair and now drives like new. :thumb:

Good luck,

lorraine x

OP
OP
GRUMPY OLD GIT

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
Thanks to you all for the advice and tip's,eventually bit the bullet and took her to a Merc main dealer.Took them will because no precise fault showed on diagnostic,found problem in the end,invoice says.......replace pressure converter.......whatever that is. Cost £79.50 +vat.
Was pleasantly surprised.as expected to pay more.
Also had the engine remapped at Malvern,that has made a big difference as she goes thro the gears quicker and stays in 6th longer.lots more torque.Doing a mpg check now and hopefully will see an improvement on my 28 mpg. ::bigsmile::thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
and hopefully will see an improvement on my 28 mpg. ::bigsmile::thumb:
Dream on:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
After market chipping is not saupported by Mercedes, even when done at their workshop as these engine are already at critical oil levels chipping or remapping will effewctively reduce upper cyl lubrication leading to premature engine failure and no help from merc according to other threads on here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back