LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Following on from a previous thread have had a brainwave,"bloody hell it hurt too".You know am into off grid camping and was thinking about a completely separate leisure battery bank. I have some batteries that I have managed to recondition and was thinking of building a separate bank. I don't want to connect them to my original bank as they are a different type and age. If I built this bank and had it switchable from my original bank and put a relay in from bank 1 would this work to charge it. Also if I linked a wire from the outlet on my solar charge regulator,ie, the bulb sign, would this charge no2 bank. The logic behind this is that in unfavourable conditions ie,no wind,no sun for a few days I could switch over to bank 2. Hopefully the alternator would charge the engine battery first,then bank 1 and when bank 1 was up to 13.6 would transfer via the relay to bank 2. Hope this doesn't give you the same headache it gave me thinking about it.:Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes But
The supply to the bulb outlet on your regulater is very low amp wise, see instructions that came with reg, and would proberbly like most only pass a current to that terminal when main bank was healthy
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
controller outlet is usually only a few watts.....say, to light a dark cupboard for daytime use.

dont think its suitable for charging purposes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry John and Geo but the bulb outlet on my BP regulator is not low watt,its high power. The BP regulator bulb outlet is for power and only cuts out when batteries are discharged to 11.5 volts. Don't know about other regulators but this is "fuzzy logic" whatever that means. I run my 12 volt cooler box direct from this outlet to keep my beer cold with no problems. I have heard about this low output before and have checked it out with the manufacturers and they say all feeds should come from this to protect the battery from becoming too discharged.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont need to know whats happening with my $600 solar controller Dave.....full 3 stage charging plus equalising mode.
can handle a 700watt panel array @ 12volts with 50amp output.

BLUE-SKY PV Controller

fully user programable :thumb:

needless to say this very expensive bit of kit was already installed when we bought the RV :Doh:

bit over-kill when matched to a 170watt panel.....capacity for another three panels i reckon.

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
there is a thing called an intelegent charger it will feed upto 5x110 amp batts in one bank and another 5x in another bank,,i dont know how it works or where you can get one if you want p/m me and i will ask the sparky where you get them from :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry John and Geo but the bulb outlet on my BP regulator is not low watt,its high power. The BP regulator bulb outlet is for power and only cuts out when batteries are discharged to 11.5 volts. Don't know about other regulators but this is "fuzzy logic" whatever that means. I run my 12 volt cooler box direct from this outlet to keep my beer cold with no problems. I have heard about this low output before and have checked it out with the manufacturers and they say all feeds should come from this to protect the battery from becoming too discharged.
You didnt buy the unit from your mate RR did you Dave:Doh:
being ex motor trade sales he will be well versed in Fuzzy Logic

Logic as we all know. is based on ones and zero's true and false its as simple as that
Fuzzy logic is based on theory and half truths, also know as non truths (lies)
I wouldnt buy anything that boast about having fuzzy logic:RollEyes:
In a nut shell
Your bulb terminal may produce high power but then again may not
It may cut out at 11.5 V but then again may not
It is designed to protect your batteries,then again maybe it isnt
Fuzzy Logic
So to answer your original question
Yes it will work or maybe not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have seen something that diverts the excess power developed from your solars to the engine battery. The idea behind this is so you don't drain the engine battery whilst using radio etc if your radio is wired to it.
It only diverts excess power when the leisure bank is full. I wondered if this would do the job from the solars and then a relay from bank 1 to bank 2 for when am on the road.My thinking behind this is that bank 1 would always get the priority charge but any excess would charge bank 2.
Am just asking if its a possibility and viable.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes it is Dave perfectly attainable via multiple methods:thumb:
I was having a poke at your fuzzy logic:winky:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ta Geo, You have confirmed what I thought was a possibility.
I have a set of batteries that have managed to recover by top secret means but as they are a different make and age to the batteries I have on the van I didn't want to join them together. I also don't want to throw them away,so thought about a completely separate bank for when the sun don't shine and the wind don't blow. This would give me an extra week till hopefully weather conditions improve. Have now got wind and sun power,my next project is a waterwheel as you know am against the infernal combustion engine charging batteries.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ta Geo, You have confirmed what I thought was a possibility.
I have a set of batteries that have managed to recover by top secret means but as they are a different make and age to the batteries I have on the van I didn't want to join them together. I also don't want to throw them away,so thought about a completely separate bank for when the sun don't shine and the wind don't blow. This would give me an extra week till hopefully weather conditions improve. Have now got wind and sun power,my next project is a waterwheel as you know am against the infernal combustion engine charging batteries.
Im happy to say your logic does not appear to be fuzzy
However given your last statement the first line of your signature requires re visiting:winky:
The purpose of your journies have now changed:thumb:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dave
Ive solved your problems
dont spend any more time and money on batteries
Its insulation you need:thumb:
From googling I have learned of the longest daylight location and also the windiest
It would appear your location is the problem
you need to up camp and make for Comonwealth Bay Antartica:Cool:
You see how good real logic is
Geo

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Love it Geo.....Does Norfolkline do a ferry and can you park on Marine drive and wait for it????.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
OK am back from my think tank....If I put a heavy duty 2 way switch to separate bank1 and bank2 and then put a relay between bank1 and bank2, would bank2 be charged from bank1 when bank 1 reached 13.6. Would this save having to connect bank2 to the charge regulator.
Would bank2 be charged whilst running when bank1 was fully charged???.
I await your ideas.:thumb:
The thinking behind all this is that I should always have a fully charged battery bank in most weather conditions and should never suffer from too deeply discharged batteries.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back