Company that will retrofit 3 point safety belts (1 Viewer)

Jason71

Free Member
Sep 5, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
Still Looking
Exp
We are having trouble finding suitable older MH's with rear seat belts. Some come fitted some do not, so in the course of my research come across these people.

http://www.seatbeltservice.co.uk/

Geographically limited I know but they will travel outside the M25

Would appreciate if anyone has used this company and can provide feedback

obviously if they are Ok then this may help others who find themselves in a similar position

I know it is a subject that comes up often

Cost is £158 +vat for a 3 point including mounts and fitting and I think £108+vat for a Lap. There is a company called Towtal in staffordshire who are similar although seem to restrict themselves to laps

Cheers

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
We are having trouble finding suitable older MH's with rear seat belts. Some come fitted some do not, so in the course of my research come across these people.

http://www.seatbeltservice.co.uk/

Geographically limited I know but they will travel outside the M25

Would appreciate if anyone has used this company and can provide feedback

obviously if they are Ok then this may help others who find themselves in a similar position

I know it is a subject that comes up often

Cost is £158 +vat for a 3 point including mounts and fitting and I think £108+vat for a Lap. There is a company called Towtal in staffordshire who are similar although seem to restrict themselves to laps

Cheers

Hi Jason ... that's handy to know and undoubtedly will come in useful in certain cases.

Unfortunately, though, it's not just a simple matter when it comes to motorhomes as furniture, fixtures and fittings also come into the picture. I am particularly thinking of those motorhomes with sideways facing settees . It's virtually impossible to fit full 3-point seat belts to those without major reconstructive surgery first - and that won't come under the remit of the 'seat belt service' people. Now ... if you could find someone who would, or could, redesign and make up matching furniture as well as the seat belts ...... :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jason ... that's handy to know and undoubtedly will come in useful in certain cases.

Unfortunately, though, it's not just a simple matter when it comes to motorhomes as furniture, fixtures and fittings also come into the picture. I am particularly thinking of those motorhomes with sideways facing settees . It's virtually impossible to fit full 3-point seat belts to those without major reconstructive surgery first - and that won't come under the remit of the 'seat belt service' people. Now ... if you could find someone who would, or could, redesign and make up matching furniture as well as the seat belts ...... :thumb:
and extremely undesirable.

a side facing 3 point belt will offer no more protection than a standard lap belt but will be many times more dangerous.

as you are aware, a 3 point belt is designed to restrain you across the lap and chest.....it cant restrain you across the chest if sat sideways but could cause severe neck injury as you are thrown from behind it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
and extremely undesirable.

a side facing 3 point belt will offer no more protection than a standard lap belt but will be many times more dangerous.

as you are aware, a 3 point belt is designed to restrain you across the lap and chest.....it cant restrain you across the chest if sat sideways but could cause severe neck injury as you are thrown from behind it.

That's what I meant by major surgery - to modify the furniture to forward facing and then retro-fit the 3-point seat belts.
I did say 'virtually impossible' - I should have just said 'impossible' because that's what I meant ...

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Might be possible on older cars with no rear belts where you can get at the metal body but motorhomes do not have metal underbodies to attatch solid anchor points to.

Even with cars unless these are aproved anchor points which I doubt, insurance companies would have a really easy get out in case of an accident.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back