Free Member
Sep 8, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coach built/low profile
Exp
Since 2002
Hello, new to this site so don't know if this subject has been explored before much on here.
Have what I define as a 'part time' problem (apparently a fairly common problem) with my Peugeot Boxer 2003 2.0 HDI.

After driving for a while the speedo needle behaves at odd times as if with a mind of its own e.g. showing 80 when actually doing around 40 etc. also sometimes when engine hot and vehicle is stationary speedo needle will still move often when clutch is depressed. (Electrical connections all seem o.k.)

It seems to point to a 'not uncommon problem' as described by local Pug garages and another mechanic as a faulty electronic speed sensor 'sender' unit (a small white nylon unit plugged in a socket on the lower rear of the gearbox /diff case) The unit has a 3 terminal electrical connector block on to send the signal to the speedo and a small nylon drive spline that goes into the gearbox casing.

My first main question is this, on the off chance anyone else has experienced the same problems on a Boxer (or C: Ducato) and succesfully cured it by replacing this sender unit.

Interestingly the Peugot dealers I have spoken to have stated computor says I need part no 616083 at £115.00 !! for the Boxer and the spline drive unit is not even included (use the old one) However what looks like an identical unit. part 616070 although computor says it is primarily listed for the Peugot car range and is around £40.00 ! (around £14.95 on ebay) Peugot dealer said it might be the same up to me to try it (no refund of course if not suitable):Doh:
A Peugot breaker has also offered a recycled one at £24 and he claims both listed items above do the same job just use the correct nylon spline drive bit ?
Doesn,t look too difficult a job to replace this unit. if the lower priced one does the same job I dont feel like paying for the dearer option. ??

Any feedback from others having had this speedo problem most appreciated.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Buy the ebay one but you must use your original drive spline as the wheels on the van will be a different size to a car

Peter

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Meanwhile :welcome: :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

Ole Dodger

Free Member
Sep 8, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coach built/low profile
Exp
Since 2002
Buy the ebay one but you must use your original drive spline as the wheels on the van will be a different size to a car

Peter
Many thanks Peter, just to confirm for anyone with this problem or who may develop it ...Was the Peugot breaker guy right then with his comment that effectively the two parts listed by Peugeot - part 61683 (sold for and used on Boxer Motorhomes & Vans ) and part 616070 (used on 405 cars and other car range ) both speed sensor unit that look the same are in fact basically one and the same item in the end, and both will be capable of doing the same job on either of the vehicles mentioned in sending the speedometer the appropriate electrical message (with the correct drive spline retained) All the Peugot and Fiat dealer parts departments approached stated you must shell out the £115 quid for the dearer one.

Could this then possibly mean Messiere Peugeot assumes that Boxer owners are all so affluent that they can all afford to pay £115 insead £45 for basically the same item used that they quote is specified only for the 405/305 car range (providing the correct drive spline is retained or ordered separately,I have checked that you can order these drive splines as a spare) or am I still so confused that I still may have the wrong end of the stick in all this ??

P.S. Citroen dealer quoted even more for their version of what again looked the same!!:whatthe:
Hmmm un mystery mon ami ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
before you start thowing good money at the problem try this trick.

a bit of work involved and you may need double joints but disconnect the instrument wiring harness at the PCB on the back of the clocks.

leave a few minutes then reconnect.

no guarantee it will work for the speedo but its a known cure for eratic fuel gauge problems.

many folks have had new instruments fitted on advise from main dealers at a cost of hundreds of pounds.....and of course the gauge then worked, but only because the wiring was removed to fit the new cluster.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Your description of the fault is unusual for a speed sensor (yes the two part Nos are for the same part by the way) they normally fail to give no reading at all. Before you spend out I'd suggest you track down the wiring from the speed sensor on the diff housing through the engine bay, it may have rubbed through and be shorting somewhere giving the intermittent fault. If all is well then go for the speed sensor. If you want I have a dead one I could send you to test with. As this one is known to give no speed output if you fitted it and still got intermittent high readings on the speedo it would prove it to not be the speed sensor. Give me a call tomorrow on 01952 587702 if you want to try it.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

Ole Dodger

Free Member
Sep 8, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coach built/low profile
Exp
Since 2002
Again many thanks Dave for that really kind offer of sending a duff sensor to try, but as mentioned someone had offered a brand new genuine part 616070 on ebay for ...........
**£6 odd quid !! ** all in. and I have bought it to try at that price (don't often have that luck, "what are the chances of that happening" Harry Hill would say!)
Pity I live so far away from your garage Dave in order to have originally booked it in with you to actually do the job. (Cannot seem to find anyone as obviously so open and giving really good old fashioned honest service as yourself here as yet.) Seem to have to re-morgage each time my 2003 Peugot Boxer based motorhome needs anything just looking at or doing down this neck of the woods, and I really don't mind paying a reasonable charge, but I hate the feeling of a possible rip off.

So regarding spare parts for our motorhomes I wonder what Peugot's Public relations or marketing strategists (if they have such a department) would actually say if a number of Motorhome owners were a bit cheesed off in the fact that if you have a Boxer vehicle (its also specified for a similar engined Ducato) you have to shell out £115 pounds odd for a replacement speed sensor spare part instead of a Peugeot 405 car owner who would be paying around £43 odd for the exact same item with a different coding.
" A genuine mistake!" "Not our department" "Computor says, must have this bit" "Not me guv was nowhere near it"
Strewth its not just a small difference in price. Could this be more regularly happening with other parts than we think I ask myself, how does one know. It has made me a bit wary in future of the possible weird & wacky world of vehicle parts pricing and what you actually are paying for I must say.

Anyway regards the speedo problem - just gave the van an hours run on a visit to someone and it behaved normally on outward journey nearly all the time but after about 45minutes (may be allied to engine working temperature?) changing up/slowing in traffic needle starts climbing - up to 80 - then maintains over high reading until brakes are applied each and every time to immediately return to correct reading each time the brakes are applied again - then it seems to think its a rev counter at low speeds occassionaly - (a definate pattern emerging here methinks!) after a while speedo then returns to normal. On the return journey an almost exact repeat.
Will fit my 'bargain' genuine part speed sensor when I can in due course as the first step in my process of elimination.
Booking into a Peugot dealer I am afraid now will be the very last resort for me I think!:Cool:

susiespoon

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
southend on sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Did this work?

Did the part number 616070 work, I am desperate and have this same problem £115 for a speedo sensor!!! Did it have the same attachments was it easy, please let me know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back