Sep 4, 2011
Stirling
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
5 years
Hi,

I found you when I was checking on porch awnings for my motorhome. We have a canopy but it makes such a noise if there is the slightest breeze that we were thinking of buying a porch awning but then we saw this curved rafter that is supposed to stop the racket. Does anyone have one and does it work? Also, if not, could you suggest a SMALL porch awning, not a drive away, that would either work with the present awning channel or with a conversion kit.

Many thanks! :Smile:

OP
OP
E

E560 Lady

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
Stirling
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
5 years
E560 Lady

Hi,

Many thanks! Will have a 'Google' and see where I can get the cheapest as Fiamma prices seem to be thought up by someone who has too much money!!!!!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RVfulltimer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I found you when I was checking on porch awnings for my motorhome. We have a canopy but it makes such a noise if there is the slightest breeze that we were thinking of buying a porch awning but then we saw this curved rafter that is supposed to stop the racket. Does anyone have one and does it work? Also, if not, could you suggest a SMALL porch awning, not a drive away, that would either work with the present awning channel or with a conversion kit.

Many thanks! :Smile:

Hi i had the same problem with my G H awning it made a right noise and was flapping about in high winds and when it was snowing the weight of the snow on the awning made it difficult to open the RV door ,so i bought a curved rafter ,they are adjustable and it worked fine no more flapping or noise ,only down side was that when under constant pressure it would slide closed so no tension on the roof , to cure this set the tension and marked the rafter and drilled a 6 mm hole through the rafter and fitted a bolt through ,then slid the rafter into place under tension ,result no more sliding , hope this helps

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I had the curved rafter and it does not stop "flapping" as the awning can still lift.
We now have three, the end ones bought for the "wind blockers" and we tie both legs down as standard then throw another tie down across the middle which has now stopped the flapping. (I know it is said you should not tie down across the middle but with a rafter in the middle and one at each end we have done this for a while now in some very gusty conditions with no problem)

One word of warning, do not put one rafter in the middle then tighten against it as you can bend the front of your awning and it will not close properly. ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i found the telescopic straight awning rafters work well.

the type which fit between the front rail and the roller box.

simply fit in place, pull out and tighten the locking knob (i used two..one each end) then wind the awning in an inch or so to tighten the fabric.

around £20 each from memory.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Here is a piccie of our set up. :thumb:

Attachments

• Van.jpg
    Van.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
E

E560 Lady

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
Stirling
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
5 years
E560 Lady

Thank you all very much for your replies, they have been helpful! :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
One fits straight out from the side of the van to the awning rail, keeps it tight

Other one goes from one awning arm to the other arm, I presume to lock the arms

Peter

thanks peter can see that on your site but was wondering witch one was the best and what benefits there is paying the extra for the one that locks the arms

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
thanks peter can see that on your site but was wondering witch one was the best and what benefits there is paying the extra for the one that locks the arms

The expensive one does everything, the cheap one stops it flapping and pooling water.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products...r-L-2.5m-.html

Dont forget Funsters discount code at checkout if you decide to order anything

funster2

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread