Winter in Spain 2012 - recommendations? (1 Viewer)

dc6947

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
converted ducato
Exp
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to go to southern Spain in January 2012, preferably to the warmest parts in the south (although i understand it can get cold still, but it's gotta be better than the UK, right?!). We plan to work our way up through Spain as the weather gets warmer, into Portugal, and meandering through France and Germany in the summer before finally making our way back home to the UK late summer 2012.

Anyway, the first leg of our trip in Southern Spain, i'll want to stay put for around 1 to 2 months to catch the better weather.

Does anyone have any recommendations for sites which are reasonably priced, and suitable for children too as i have a 3 year old? Preferably with good wi-fi access, either via onsite wifi or via a good dongle connection, this is the most important thing for me because i have to work while away. The rest we are not fussed about, i don't care for posh showers and pools and clubs, etc, and the hefty price tags that normally come with such amenities, although it seems to get the good wi-fi we might have to look at these kind of sites?

Is anyone here going to be in Southern Spain / Portugal at the beginning of 2012? Where are you going? What are your plans?

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Me too, Me too !!!!!

That's where I will be going, arriving early December, after that into Portugal (google chicken run camping ) for a month or two and then on the motorhome fun meet at camping Marjal...Then the rest of 2012 in France (Aquitain) until June when my MOT and isurance is due ! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

All of these work out ( I believe ) at about 10 Euros per night if staying longer than a month !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

dc6947

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
converted ducato
Exp
United Kingdom
Thanks! Maybe i'll get to meet some people and have a chat then if we happen to be around at the same time. I would go much earlier than January if i could, i'd be outta the UK by November, but i have to stick around here for Christmas for the family.

10euros a day or thereabouts is great (would be better if the exchange rate improved though!)

My insurance and MOT is due for renewal in August so i'll have to make a trip back to the UK then i guess(!) but at least it's a nice time of year to be in the UK... i'll probably come back for the MOT then go on up to Scotland or across to Ireland maybe for a month or two.

edit to add: chicken run camping looks fantastic - just the kind of place i'm after!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't understand the chicken run :Doh::cry::cry::cry:

€547.50 PER YEAR plus €7.50 per night inc €2.50 electriciy
100 METRE SQUARE APPROX PRIVATE PLOT TO DO WITH YOUR OWN

What is it and how much? Sorry for being a dumbass on this :cry:

OP
OP
D

dc6947

Free Member
Aug 25, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
converted ducato
Exp
United Kingdom
gromett, look further down on the website under the "motorhomes/RV" section it says:

"RV's / CAMPER VANS / CARAVANS WELCOME
PETS WELCOME
€7 per night
STAYING LONGER THAN 1 MONTH €5 per night"

5 euro a night sounds like a great deal and it looks like a lovely site too. Might spend one month in Spain and one month there.

Reonvore

Free Member
Aug 29, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'm a Newbie
gromett, look further down on the website under the "motorhomes/RV" section it says:

"RV's / CAMPER VANS / CARAVANS WELCOME
PETS WELCOME
€7 per night
STAYING LONGER THAN 1 MONTH €5 per night"

5 euro a night sounds like a great deal and it looks like a lovely site too. Might spend one month in Spain and one month there.

:thumb: More like this please:Blush:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Penelope Pitstop and quite a few funsters went to this site last year/this year from October to March and had a great time. They will be going away agaiin shortly. Sounds a great trip, have a good time. ::bigsmile:

http://www.campingpinarsanjose.com/

Ivy

Hi can you tell me if the sea is a walk away? I have checked the website and although it shows lots of beach pictures reading the blurb it seems to be a car ride away.

Ginny and Mike

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
sounds and looks good but sadly no pets allowed!:Sad:
Don't tell my dog that, she would be most put out. She spent a lovely winter at Pinar last year along with about ten other dogs. I think that rule must apply for summer season only. Incidentally, the wi-fi is included in the price and connection is quite good most of the time. When connection is not so good, you can go into the bar/restaurant where the connection is spot on. Adrian.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Don't tell my dog that, she would be most put out. She spent a lovely winter at Pinar last year along with about ten other dogs. I think that rule must apply for summer season only. Incidentally, the wi-fi is included in the price and connection is quite good most of the time. When connection is not so good, you can go into the bar/restaurant where the connection is spot on. Adrian.

Could you please let me know if it is the chicken run that has the wfi, we are really interested in going there next year but I could not find any thing that says about wfi, it does look like a good place to chill out. (not wanting to be to chilly any idea of what temperature to expect in March / April time. any info would be appreciated.

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Could you please let me know if it is the chicken run that has the wfi, we are really interested in going there next year but I could not find any thing that says about wfi, it does look like a good place to chill out. (not wanting to be to chilly any idea of what temperature to expect in March / April time. any info would be appreciated.
Sorry Carol, I don't know about the chicken run but I'm sure some of the other funsters will know.
Adrian

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We go to La Manga in Feb then on to Bonterra park in Benicassim in mid March weathers good, beach close in both camps. Pete:thumb: :thumb::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

The latest info from The Chicken Run is that WiFi is available but they charge for it now 2.50 euro a week. It's on the first page of their web site. Link RemovedLink Removed

Last year Lesley & Andy used to lend out their dongle for free, but did say they were going to set it up on a more permanent basis. At 2.50 euro a week it sounds good to me.

The temp. in March was hot with the occasional dull day. The local farmer was watering his crop each day so it must have been dry.

Attachments

• DSCI1423.jpg
    DSCI1423.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCI1418.jpg
    DSCI1418.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi can you tell me if the sea is a walk away? I have checked the website and although it shows lots of beach pictures reading the blurb it seems to be a car ride away.

Ginny and Mike

So, you coming to join us Mike & Ginney? :Cool:

It's an easy walk even with my gammy hip so you will be OK. :thumb:

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
http://www.lagunaplaya.com/en/

http://www.lagunaplaya.com/en/ appears to be a favourite in Torre del Mar. We live in the mountains above Torre Del Mar and decided to take our MV to Laguna Playa for a learning curve. Impressed with the facilities inc. WIFI. Toilets immaculate with each pitch well served and sheltered. The site is two minutes from the beach and the Paseo Maritimo where you can ride your bikes for miles along the front. Restaurants galore with menu del dia's around 6.50 euro to 7.50 euros. Winter rates circa 11 euros per day.. Finally it is a very popular site with the Brits coming down for the winter. Can be chilly but you will still have the blue sky. Hope this helps. atb.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
cost

Penelope Pitstop and quite a few funsters went to this site last year/this year from October to March and had a great time. They will be going away agaiin shortly. Sounds a great trip, have a good time. ::bigsmile:

http://www.campingpinarsanjose.com/

Ivy
any idea about rates for M/H for Jan to Mar 2012?

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
So, you coming to join us Mike & Ginney? :Cool:

It's an easy walk even with my gammy hip so you will be OK. :thumb:

Hi Keith and Jean,

Will you be there?? When are you going? We are going to southern Spain after Christmas, we are definitely not spending the winter in UK, it costs too much and Michael is always ill when it is cold and wet.

It would be great to see you again

Ginny and Mike

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
http://www.lagunaplaya.com/en/ appears to be a favourite in Torre del Mar. We live in the mountains above Torre Del Mar and decided to take our MV to Laguna Playa for a learning curve. Impressed with the facilities inc. WIFI. Toilets immaculate with each pitch well served and sheltered. The site is two minutes from the beach and the Paseo Maritimo where you can ride your bikes for miles along the front. Restaurants galore with menu del dia's around 6.50 euro to 7.50 euros. Winter rates circa 11 euros per day.. Finally it is a very popular site with the Brits coming down for the winter. Can be chilly but you will still have the blue sky. Hope this helps. atb.

Do you know if they allow dogs? I have checkd on the website but cant see any mention.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Do you know if they allow dogs? I have checkd on the website but cant see any mention.

Yes Ginny they do allow dogs, well they did last year.

We are booked in from 1 December, or thereabouts. Will be staying for 2 months we think at present, then off to Portugal.

Ravenmad.

If memory serves me right (not often these days) it is 250 Euro a month if you stay 3 months.
From their web site
1 Month 300 €
2 Months 275 €/mes
3 Months 250 €/mes
June and September 450 €/mes
Incluye: 2 adultos, 2 niños, caravana/autocaravana/coche, agua, electricidad, conexión TV satélite y WIFI.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Considering spending a few months in Spain this winter, having given it a miss for a few years. Have we a member who has worked out the travel costs from i.e. Calais to Benidorm, Fuel and Tolls. I specify Tolls because last year friends had to use motorway all the way down because of bad weather, in fact followed snow ploughs for several 100 miles at one stage.
There is so many good deals out there for long stay apartments with cheap flights. Dread the thought of spending another winter 'Cabin'd Up' in the UK.
Best Regards Mac

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back