What engine do I have.....please (1 Viewer)

angus1

Free Member
Sep 1, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hello all,
I am completely baffled as to what engine I have in my MH.
It is a 1999 Peugeot boxer 320 2.5 TD.
However I see that Peugeot, Fiat and Citreon are all made in the same factory and that from research so far some say it is the Iveco 8140 engine. When I put the Vin number in the Peugeot service site it comes up as a Boxer cab type 14, engine 2.5 DJ5TED, is that a Peugeot engine.
There are no makers marks on the engine block itself. I know this is the original engine...so any help would be very much appreciated as I have some problems but can't even begin till I know what engine I am looking at.
I must say it's a bit odd having to spend hours on the net trying to find out what engine your Peugeot has????

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had a similar problem with a Peugeot J5 2.5 turbo diesel.
Its synonymous with the Sevel cab am afraid. It turned out mine had 2 X cam belts and was a Citroen engine as fitted to the CX:Doh:
Only way I found out was when changing the cam belts I managed to read the original numbers. I do sympathise with you on this problem

OP
OP
A

angus1

Free Member
Sep 1, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Snowbird,
Your sympathy is much appreciated, I thought I was going bonkers as did most of my friends, you buy a Peugeot because it is a Peugeot right??????
So unless you change the cam belt there is no way of knowing what engine it is?
Strangely my other car is a Citreon Jumpy, which has the same problem as this, made in the same factory, so could be a Fiat or a Peugeot.
Many thanks for your reply, the mystery goes on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
99.9% of peugeot, fiat and citroen van engine parts are interchangable anyway.

i tried to buy a simple sump bung washer from a peuguot dealer for a fiat ducato.

reg number please........Oh, that vehicle isnt on our database.

i know it aint...its a fiat.

then we dont have a sump bung washer.

yes you do !!! just give me a washer for a 2001 2.5td engine

without a reg No i dont know where in the stores to look.

F.F.S. !!! you hand these out all day to the workshop....just go get one.

and, of course, the resulting washer fits a fiat ducato :thumb::RollEyes:

OP
OP
A

angus1

Free Member
Sep 1, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i'm a newbie
I'm trying to locate where certain parts are on the engine so I can check/clean them before having to take it into the garage.So it's a diagram of the engine I'm after.
I drove it from UK to Spain, no prob untill just before the end of journey when it started to lose power.
I'm pretty sure it's not the turbo as it's not a massive loss of power, it's more on the flat doing only 60mph foot to the floor.
Thanks for your replies

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I'm trying to locate where certain parts are on the engine so I can check/clean them before having to take it into the garage.So it's a diagram of the engine I'm after.
I drove it from UK to Spain, no prob untill just before the end of journey when it started to lose power.
I'm pretty sure it's not the turbo as it's not a massive loss of power, it's more on the flat doing only 60mph foot to the floor.
Thanks for your replies
Was it windy when you had the power loss.
Was there any black smoke from exhaust.
Was there any strange noises.
The 2.5 engine is not such a powerful beast and if you have even a slight headwind it can make quite a difference.

OP
OP
A

angus1

Free Member
Sep 1, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Snowbird,
No it wasn't windy.
I do have some black smoke, usually on starting and when it's pulling uphill but other than that it's not a smoker, not as much as other diesels I've had, this has done 60,000.
On the way I was cruising at 60 and when needed could easily push it up to over 80 with a little still left in it, at the end is was 60 foot to floor, there was a marked difference in performance.
The MH has hardly been used the past year and I have a problem with the fuel guage being irratic and it has been a long hot drive to and in Spain . With these contributing factors I have been reading that maybe water in the fuel from condensation maybe a problem.
Air and fuel filter are top of list hence need to identify engine and to see if there is any way of checking for and draining any water in tank.
We had a Bedford camper when I was a lad and yes it broke down a fair few times but at least you could fix it with a pair of tights and gun gum tape.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this may sound daft but altitude can have an effect on performance....the higher you are, the thinner the air.

are you on the coast or in the mountains ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
First take the air filter out and check it,take it for a SHORT run with no air filter,if that cures it your air filter is the problem.Mine has a water drain off under the fuel filter housing,but to be honest have never known one of these work yet.
It could be an injector down but am going for a blocked air filter at this stage.
Did your fuel consumption go up after you lost power.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
this may seem a daft suggestion but on the V5 log book has it got an engine number listed?

OP
OP
A

angus1

Free Member
Sep 1, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i'm a newbie
pappajohn,
Altitude crossed my mind as problem seemed to start in the mountains but it is the same on the coast.
Snowbird,
Good idea about air filter.
I have also seen a fuel additive which claims to give the engine a clean out claims to disperse any water in the system.
aba,
Yes, I put the vin number into the Peugeot site and it came up as a DJ5 TED engine, however parts that they show don't all seem to match what I have. It seems to me that the vin number identifies the vehicle rather than a specific engine make.
I really appreciate all of your input, many thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back