Which are the best built MHs? (1 Viewer)

Aug 24, 2011
Ribble valley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Everybody,

We are newcomers to this interest. I am 56 and am planning retirement. I intend buying a Marquis Majestic 145 as a starter because We like the layout and the size.
What I really want to understand is who makes the best MH? Everybody knows which companies produce the best cars, and I am sure that we are not buying the "Volvo" of the MH world, but for future musings can someone give me the BMW, Merc, and Rolls Royce marques of the MH industry please?

Brian

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi Everybody,

We are newcomers to this interest. I am 56 and am planning retirement. I intend buying a Marquis Majestic 145 as a starter because We like the layout and the size.
What I really want to understand is who makes the best MH? Everybody knows which companies produce the best cars, and I am sure that we are not buying the "Volvo" of the MH world, but for future musings can someone give me the BMW, Merc, and Rolls Royce marques of the MH industry please?

Brian

Oh what a can of worms this is going to be!!

I should think everyone has there own preference. Personaly I believe its more down to which Country rather than which manufacturer. In my case I would say for build quality and longivity first would be USA then Germany and lastly France. British I wouldn't give house room. I looked at some NEW British ones at a reputable Dealer in Somerset some years ago on a very wet and windy day ( my choice ) One had no sealant around some of the windows, another had a tarpaulin over a skylight to stop the rain getting in. Another the draw unit collapsed when pulled out.

So basicaly I wouldn't buy new, always go for second hand, that way any niggles have been ironed out by the original owner.

All the best in your quest

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I haven't been in an RV so cannot comment on them for build quality.

We have a German van and it's pretty well built and solid compared to the British vans we looked at - but massively more expensive too.

I suggest you visit a number of dealers and check them all out:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Leaving aside USA-built RVs of which I have no experience, I would vote for German vans first, then probably French. I would not buy British although many do and are very happy with them.
In terms of best makes, I would probably short-list the following:
Concorde, Niesmann + Bischoff, Hymer, Eura Mobil, then Burstner, Rapido, Pilote and Laika. Lots of other worthy brands of course, but that's my vote.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I saw the Concorde reviewed on the Caravan channel over the weekend - all £160,000 of it:Eeek:

I wasn't all that impressed with anything except the boot size to be honest.

I was looking at a Burstner Elegance (longingly) a few months back for £89000 and thought that topped the Concorde.

I agree with Jeanluc though in terms of the short list.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For £89k you can get a brand new A Class American RV with all the bells and whistles :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
phew, haven't had this question for quite a while.
Generally works lke this--
if you have loads of wonga, then Concord, Cathargo .

if your just rich- Hymer, Burstner, Rapido, Frankia Euramobil N & B

If your in the real world,

An older german built Motorhome is as good as they get. I have an Adria, (Slovinian) previously had a CI (Italian) and both are (have been) excellent and a fraction of the cost of the upmarket brand.

By choosing the right lay out your doing the right thing. be careful you choose the layout correct first.

good luck

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
USA - Build Quality Not seen those terms used together for a long while:Smile: My experience of RVs is that they are thrown together will little attention to detail.

Outside of RV's most motorhomes use the same components, its just the way they nail and glue them together thats different. :Smile: Most things German will be well built but pricey so you would expect that. Some Euro "value" vans are amazing quality for the price. Choose your motorhome by layout rather than maker first, then get the best quality van in that layout. One thing about motorhomes is that you are always spoilt for choice.

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
It's all about budget, IMO. I think you generally get what you pay for in motorhomes.

If you've got the money, it seems that German brands are the best, although some now say that Hymers, for example, don't have the quality with current models that they did a few years ago.

I like Chausson (I'm on my second) because they're a mid-lister, not too expensive, but better quality than some of the bargain basement vans. There's nothing wrong with any of them. Some people will always want to buy the best, money no object.

I wouldn't have a British van, because the habitation door's on the wrong side :roflmto:

Gerald

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
Leaving aside USA-built RVs of which I have no experience, I would vote for German vans first, then probably French. I would not buy British although many do and are very happy with them.
In terms of best makes, I would probably short-list the following:
Concorde, Niesmann + Bischoff, Hymer, Eura Mobil, then Burstner, Rapido, Pilote and Laika. Lots of other worthy brands of course, but that's my vote.

not nit picking but ,,, rapido and pilot are the same company just that one is built in the north of france and one in the south of france,:whatthe: and burstener Cupboards and fittings are built by rapidio in le moulnere in the newes jig plant in the eu so nearly the same,,,just look and you will see:whatthe:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
10 years ago I would have said Hymer. These days not so much. they are still good but not great. The older ones are still worth looking at though.

Euramobil is the only one I have recent experience of and it was fantastic. Great quality and well thought out.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I cant comment on US RV’s too big, too expensive to run.

European – have looked at a number, I agree that the French and German ones are well built. Early Hymer are solid and can be sparse. French ones have style and are designed to be used, not designed by a committee.

British- we currently have an Autosleeper, the build is solid, the design is dated and thats the problem, they have failed to move on...
The truth is that you only get what you pay for, if you go for the lower end of the market, then don’t expect solid wood, hand crafted. Expect laminated chip board.

In my mind the 1st van you buy is your 1st mistake. The second van is the one you know what you want and cant find it. The third is possibly the van of your dreams, you know what you want and have found it.

Just enjoy whatever you get and lets hope you are lucky,

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
A couple of people have already stated that you get what you pay for including ^^^^^^.

But, that is not true. Because there is a pattern going on here, that being don't buy British. Yet a top of the range British van from a well known company will cost you into the 80-90k Yet, a real decent Burstner, hymer, Euramobil can be picked up for the same price..:Smile:

I know some own British vans and swear by them, most of the components these days are transferable to all cans, heating, cooker, water systems etc. All the difference is, in the way they bang them together.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
For £89k you can get a brand new A Class American RV with all the bells and whistles :thumb:

Maybe - but without the build quality of German motorhomes. As already mentioned VERY diplomatically - 'US RV' and 'quality' are not terms usually seen together.

The question posed was 'What is the best built ... ' not 'What has most bells and whistles'.

A HOBBY would be my first choice if I could afford one, and in particular a 750 Exclusive or, a bit smaller, the exquisite VAN L Exclusive. All beautifully built !

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was in Brownhills some time ago and the sales rep pointed out the van below.

He then said.... "That could you yours for £50,995, problem is its not got a toilet"

Would I spend £51k on a van with no bog? Nope...

For an extra £8k you can get a full A class pilote from Biggles.
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Pilote-Aventura-G740-LCA-Motorhome-2011.html

No contest..

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Oh what a can of worms this is going to be!!

I should think everyone has there own preference. Personaly I believe its more down to which Country rather than which manufacturer. In my case I would say for build quality and longivity first would be USA then Germany and lastly France. British I wouldn't give house room. I looked at some NEW British ones at a reputable Dealer in Somerset some years ago on a very wet and windy day ( my choice ) One had no sealant around some of the windows, another had a tarpaulin over a skylight to stop the rain getting in. Another the draw unit collapsed when pulled out.

So basicaly I wouldn't buy new, always go for second hand, that way any niggles have been ironed out by the original owner.

All the best in your quest

Brian

Does he know?

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Hi Everybody,

Brian

Definitly GERMAN, we have had four MH,s 2 German, 5* 1 Spanish, 3* 1 British (no comment on that)

Quality comes at a price though!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
the build Q of modern german motorhomes,is living off the back of a good reputation from years ago,and are now built to a price the same as most things,take the merc car years ago great,now not so good.:Sad:
buy what you can afford,and what suits you.:thumb:
the build Q of swift,goes down year on year,look at the kon-teki of around 2003/4 the floors fell out of the things around the steps,the hab electronics were pants:Sad:,and dont get me started on rollerteam=soiled pants:Sad:
hymer's great if 10 years old or more:thumb:
im waiting to see the new bailey motorhome in the flesh,could be good:thumb:
and why do they keep cramming motorhomes with fancy electronics,that most user's have no understanding what they do yet alone how they work:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I don't think there's an answer to "What is the best motorhome". Over the last 40 years I have owned that many have forgotten some of them.I remember the first was Standard Atlas pop top which was English.Since then have owned 2 X RVs and both have been good,but the Tiffin is now 22 years old and everything works just the same as when it left the factory with no damp issues.Its still more than capable of trans European trips and is built like a tank.The yanks call them the Cadillac of motorhomes,and they know a little about RVs.Regarding European motorhomes,am of the opinion that the older German models are as good as they come,the Hymer 660S being my favorite.
Have recently been thinking which is the best built and having looked at more than enough I still think the pre 2000 Germans are as good as they get.If you look around you how many 20 year old English vans do you see on campsites compared with 20 year old German.I think that's the best rule of thumb regarding quality.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Geist which is built on an LMC (German) motorhome and marketed in the UK.
It is our first van but we were caravanners for many years so we knew pretty much what we wanted for layout. We love the van. The fittings are solid and well made and everything works. It's the seemingly little things that make all the difference such as the quality of the mattress and cushions and the way the door catches fit. None of this is evident when you first look round vans but to be fair they can also be improved later on if you find they're not up to scratch.
We were just saying the other day that one of the biggest joys of our MH is that we can go away for weeks and sleep like dead things in the lovely bed. In our Swift caravan we could only manage a 3 week trip before our backs started screaming to go home to a real bed.
Quality wins above gadgets for us.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The lack of british vans on the list is rather dissapointing.
Why I wonder.

barry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My favourite part of my Burstner is the habitation door.

Sad I know but its a real good quality thick sturdy door.

Never mind the layout, check out the doors::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
new bailey motorhome

Looked at a number at Heart of England, Weedon. Not that impressed, some new ideas but the build quality was not brill. As they stand, I would not be rushing to buy one...

I looked in detail at th Bentley Signature Oulton, £ 63720, big rear bathroom, rather flimsly handles on drawers etc.

Is it worth £ 63720?
or
For the same price a Rapido 983F or Carthago C Line or Dethleffs Esprit T 6700

No contest

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
The lack of british vans on the list is rather dissapointing.
Why I wonder.

barry
maybe they dont carry the right badge on the front.:winky:
the best cars in the world come from japan(toyota/honda),but every one want's a german motor,apart from me that is,i want reliabilty:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
no easy answer these days, basically the one that does not fall to bits. Historically the early Hymers are among the oldest surviving still in regularly used motorhomes 1980's Hymer 660S (Mercedes base) still running fine and woodwork generally found in good order. Given a no expense spared scenario I would probably go for a Neismann Bischoff. a Quality motorhome from the Hymer group. Layout is the most important factor to look for mind as the most brilliant build quality in the world is no use if you can't live in it.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Looked at a number at Heart of England, Weedon. Not that impressed, some new ideas but the build quality was not brill. As they stand, I would not be rushing to buy one...
bailey motorhome

shiftzz you must have been honered it aint even launched yet till october at the nec:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/the-new-bailey-motorhome-range-previewed-3189/

Link Removed

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back