batteries in Eldiss autoquest 100 (2006) (1 Viewer)

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
Planning to fit two new batteries in Eldiss autoquest 100 (2006)
There is only room for one battery in the outside batery box (max 38cm length).
Having an electrician to fit but need to know if the other battery goes inside and protected by an aerated box?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good electrical practice dictates that batteries should be as physically close to each other as possible.. that not being the case, you should endeavour to keep the connecting cables as short as possible and sized for the maximum current taking unto account the cable length .. If not sized correctly the batteries will not charge and discharge equally ..

if you install a second inside the van it should

a) be secured in a sealed box vented to the outside or

b) secured and vented via a vent tube from the battery vents to the outside..

if you need help sizing cable give us the length and max charging current.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Do you really need two batteries?

When we bought our van (2004 Autoquest 100) it had the original 85AH battery which served us well. I changed it about 18 months ago because we saw a 110AH battery at a good price at Newark Spring Show and thought that, at 6 years old, the original might have a limited life expectancy.

What we have also done is to change the lights (except the tube over the cooker) to LED to minimise power consumption plus investing in a 50W free standing solar panel. Apart from the lights we use water pump, a bit of TV plus recharging netbook, phones etc.

From March to September/October the panel puts back all the power we use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Do you really need two batteries?

When we bought our van (2004 Autoquest 100) it had the original 85AH battery which served us well. I changed it about 18 months ago because we saw a 110AH battery at a good price at Newark Spring Show and thought that, at 6 years old, the original might have a limited life expectancy.

What we have also done is to change the lights (except the tube over the cooker) to LED to minimise power consumption plus investing in a 50W free standing solar panel. Apart from the lights we use water pump, a bit of TV plus recharging netbook, phones etc.

From March to September/October the panel puts back all the power we use.
seven months to recharge your battery,i think you need to invest in a super dooper fast charger,that lets you use all the battery power you want without sitting in the dark with the telly off.:ROFLMAO:
and a desent pair of ear muffs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Planning to fit two new batteries in Eldiss autoquest 100 (2006)
There is only room for one battery in the outside batery box (max 38cm length).
Having an electrician to fit but need to know if the other battery goes inside and protected by an aerated box?

If your planning on doing this wait until Newark this week which i am there with you and i can talk you through the options and look at your van to make sure its do-able, I wont charge you a bean for my advice and looking and if you decide to fit another battery i will even give you a hand to fit it FREE! well say FREE! if theres beer on tap thats better, lol..

Don't worry i am qualified to look and touch :ROFLMAO:

Craig

Always here to help..

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
A decent pair of ear muffs, Chris? Does that mean your super-duper charger still won't have a silencer at Lincoln? :ROFLMAO:
no it will be the same as malvern:ROFLMAO:
iv got used to it,it's like listening to little purring cat to me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thought of another point. You mentioned max 38cm length but don't forget to measure the width and height. We've seen one or two batteries too tall for the box.

OP
OP
P

patilo

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
July 2011
great advice

Gee whizz.... what a lovely bunch of motorhomers on the site.
Thanks for all the great advice from all you folk.
As W18BLA has offered to look at it/offer advice, at Newark, I'll take him up on the offer.
Mum and Me will CU there.

Oct 24, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Second Battery

My dealer has told me that it is permissible and safe to place a second battery on its side (not base!) underneath the drivers seat. Existing battery is a sealed / maintenance free Numax .
Is it really wise to install such a battery on its side?

Arthur:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had to look this up .. no personal experience...

According to the manufacturer a fully sealed AGM or Gel battery can be used on it's side ..
be aware that some are marked sealed, but only in a maintenance meaning, not for use on their side .. they will leak.

However, the charger must be suitable for that type of battery so provided it is the same as your existing battery I see no problem .. don't mix types, batteries in parallel should be the same size and must be the same TYPE ie ,, Gel, AGM or FLA .. and preferable the same age and manufacturer.

some interesting reading on battery types HERE that will help explain about the different types , their benefits and drawbacks..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back