Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
What panel would I need?

also

Is this any good?
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solar-Panel-charge-controller-cables/dp/B004MIPDLC/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314516671&sr=1-12[/ame]

Spec / value?

Ta

Dave

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
What panel would I need?
Hi Dave

Not a simple answer - second thoughts, a simple answer would be "the bigger, the better" :winky:

It depends on how much power you use during the day, and when and where you go travelling. The amount of sun depends on the time of year and your latitude on the earth. The equator gets more sun than Norway.

But ... we've had a 130W panel for a couple of years now, mainly travel in Spring and Autumn, and generally South of Dover. We've been able to stay off grid for weeks, our panel recharging the two batteries we have each day. Apart from the usual (water pump, lights, etc), we might watch 3-4 hours of TV a night, charge laptops and electronic gubbins.

If you're anywhere where there is less sun (up North or winter, or both), you can get more power by inclining the panel so that it's more perpendicular to the sun's rays, or you can get fancy panels that will rotate with the sun's movement across the sky. We've never found it necessary, but others might.

Gerald

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Dave,Have had 2 X 75 watt on the VW and toured without hookup for a month.Watched little TV but wild camped everywhere,using shower and charging laptop,phone etc.I prefer 2X75 as opposed to 1 X 140 as you can place them at different positions on the roof,meaning that at least 1 will be working all the time.Also there is a lot of flex in a big panel and there is more chance of damage to the glass.These are just MY thoughts and its everyone to there own.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I love our solar panel. I spent a little less a year or so ago but for only 85 watt. We too have 2x100amp batteries and the panel does a good job. We use the TV, Jess has been watching it for a couple of hours this morning, I am on the mac, we have all have showers and the batteries have dropped from 12.8v to 12.5v.

Its overcast outside but with blue skies on the horizon its looking promising. A few minutes ago the panel was pumping in 0.4 but just now with the sun popping out its gone upto 0.9amp. By this afternoon I expect to see the battery almost back to a good charge.

Like Gerald I have spent all year off grid. There is obviously a saving on not having plug in. There is no campsite not available, even the ones without hookup and there is a really good feel that we are harnessing the free power the sun and light send our way:Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back