Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
When I eventually hit the road in my yet-to-be purchased MH I will want to be able to access the internet with my laptop. I'm not entirely dumb in these matters but am far from up to speed with what technologies are available for mobile internet access, so I'm (once again) looking for advice.

I have a 3G iphone - that gives reasonable access but can be quite slow sometimes - I'd want better than that.

For the immediate future I'm looking only to be touring in the UK (if that makes any difference)

All advice and suggestions gratefully received, as usual.

Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you want to use only one device at a time then a USB dongle is what you want. All the mobile phone companies sell them so go for the one which gives the best deal/coverage for you.

If you want to connect multiple devices so several family members can go on-line at the same time then a MiFi device is what you need. They are sold by 3 but you can buy them ready unlocked for use on other networks with a separately bought SIM card.

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
3g wifi dongle:thumb:thats what im useing now at home,gone is my broadband and phone,and gone is the £30 a month bill:thumb:
and i cannot notice any difference in speed:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks Graham - I've heard of USB dongles but know nothing about them. You say mobile phone companies sell them - do you mean service providers or phone manufacturer's? What sort of cost am I looking at? Are there different levels of service available, and if so what would you recommend?

I note you are local to me btw - I'm a Redcar lad, so if you ever fancy a day by the sea........::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The main two dongle providers are "3" and Vodaphone, but you can get the dongles unlocked to allow any data simm to be used. 3 do 1gb that lasts a month for £10 and 3 gb that lasts a month for £15, you can often find cheap data simms on ebay as well. I last paid £10 for 3gb that had a 90 day expiry date. Use abroad attracts roaming charges and comes out at around £10 per meg so forget it and use wifi. Various wifi antenna and boosters are available to increase range allowing you to use the free wifi at Mc Donalds, hotels, railway stations etc without actually being on the premises. French dongle and data rates are expencive, best stick to wifi, Spain and Portugal are better and a simm can be bought.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Graham - I've heard of USB dongles but know nothing about them. You say mobile phone companies sell them - do you mean service providers or phone manufacturer's? What sort of cost am I looking at? Are there different levels of service available, and if so what would you recommend?
It's the providers (3, Vodafone, T-Mobile etc). They all have various price plans, just as with phones.

My personal choice is 3 but, as with so many things, what's good for one isn't necessarily the best for another. A mooch round the various shops will show you what's on offer.

I started with a dongle on contract from T-Mobile but when the contract ended had it unlocked and got a 3 SIM on a good deal. I subsequently bought a Vodafone SIM as an alternative.

We now have the 3 MiFi and keep the dongle as a spare in case 3 coverage isn't good in a particular area.

I note you are local to me btw - I'm a Redcar lad, so if you ever fancy a day by the sea........::bigsmile:
::bigsmile: KSEBruce isn't far away either - and I think there might be one or two other, less active, members. About time we got some more representation in this area :Smile: Then we could maybe have a Fun Rally for when the vertical pier opens :roflmto:

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
An option that rarely gets mentioned is simply using a mobile phone as a modem. My phone - a blackberry - connects to a USB port and you can then connect the laptop to internet. Works well, uses the best availably connection type (ie 3g if poss, otherwise edge or gprs). Doesn't involve any additional purchase as I have the phone anyway.

As you are charged by data volume, before connecting a laptop its important to turn off everything that might download things, eg windows update, virus checker update, and don't forget things like adobe which can hog internet to do updates.

I have done this wih several different phones, in several different countries, with no problems. If you control your internet use its not prohibitively expensive.

The Blackberry can do much of this without the computer anyway! So personally I only use the computer if I need a decent keyboard.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Yet another way is to use your phone as a wifi hotspot. I got a new phone six weeks ago with this facility and used it with my netbook whilst away, worked very well indeed. The phone is n HTC Wildfire S from 3.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've used mobile phones for Internet connection from time to time over the past 11 years and currently have two (my usual phone and an older one) which have that capability (either by cable or Bluetooth).

I don't do so these days because I simply find it more convenient to use the MiFi (especially when we both want to be on-line on netbook & tablet).

As the last two posts point out, though, it remains a viable option and one which merits taking into account when working the the best deal/coverage for intended usage.

Upvote 0

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
As a footnote - a Kindle 3g gives unlimited internet access at the moment. It's a bit slow and the screen is not good (e ink and no colour) but for e mails etc it's good enough. Mine's on order.

Upvote 0

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
Yet another way is to use your phone as a wifi hotspot. I got a new phone six weeks ago with this facility and used it with my netbook whilst away, worked very well indeed. The phone is n HTC Wildfire S from 3.

Rgds
Bill
I use my HTC Wildfire via 3 as a wifi hotspot too. So far it has worked well.
Martin:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back