LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a limited amount of space in the van wardrobe so need to wash clothes on longer trips. No problem (apart from cost) if staying on a site with a laundry room but what do you do when those facilities are not available?

As it happens, Jill's parents bought a Link Removed some years ago so we borrowed that for a trip earlier in the year. It worked but was hard work and a bit of a pain so we wanted an alternative.

Also as it happens I had a couple of 5 gallon bins in the garage left over from home brewing many years ago. With the addition of a large plunger bought from Poundstretcher for 99p, suitably modified to make a posser by the drilling of two holes in its rubber bit, we have a "washing machine" in which we can both wash and rinse. Works fine, especially (so Jill tells me) if you leave the clothes to soak in a bio liquid solution for a while before possing and rinsing.

Attachments

• washing machine 2.jpg
    washing machine 2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 63

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good solution .. ( no pun intended ) :thumb:

another idea, along the same lines;
while on the move, we used to soak laundry in a plastic linen bin stood in the shower cubicle .. after a days travel, rinse in the shower tray then hang out ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Works fine, especially (so Jill tells me) if you leave the clothes to soak in a bio liquid solution for a while before possing and rinsing.

All you need now is a few goats and some black stuff to earn a few bob with.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Mrs Callumwa in action at the local launderette.....

No worries when we are travelling...
No Dot Cotton or coins required......:thumb:

Attachments

• DSC01433.jpg
    DSC01433.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC01437.jpg
    DSC01437.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC01439.jpg
    DSC01439.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 78
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
We have a limited amount of space in the van wardrobe so need to wash clothes on longer trips. No problem (apart from cost) if staying on a site with a laundry room but what do you do when those facilities are not available?

As it happens, Jill's parents bought a Link Removed some years ago so we borrowed that for a trip earlier in the year. It worked but was hard work and a bit of a pain so we wanted an alternative.

Also as it happens I had a couple of 5 gallon bins in the garage left over from home brewing many years ago. With the addition of a large plunger bought from Poundstretcher for 99p, suitably modified to make a posser by the drilling of two holes in its rubber bit, we have a "washing machine" in which we can both wash and rinse. Works fine, especially (so Jill tells me) if you leave the clothes to soak in a bio liquid solution for a while before possing and rinsing.

Graham I think it's great to see that the spirit of UK invention is still alive and kicking in the 21st century...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In the second picture is the wooden thing what she hits you with to remind you who's boss???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Trust me...... it works.......:RollEyes:

and it cleans the clothes well too....... (that's not the delicates cycle of course):thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a much better solution and not anywhere as labour intensive....

a friend of mine had one a few years back as his ONLY washing machine and swore by it !

The WONDERWASH.

51ESdRj4hTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

takes a 5lb load....

put in hot/warm water and a little detergent, screw on the lid and tighten the pressure valve.

turn the handle for around two minutes then drain via the removable spout.
a quick rinse then hang to dry.

works on the principle of hot water in a sealed container will increase in pressure to force water/detergent through the clothes.

i believe no longer available in the uk but some are listed on ebay etc or can be bought in america for around $40.
retailed in the uk for around £35.

small and light...around 6lb

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No Dot Cotton or coins required......:thumb:

Ours washes plains and strips as well as dots - and other fabrics as well ::bigsmile:

Graham I think it's great to see that the spirit of UK invention is still alive and kicking in the 21st century...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Nowt to do with the spirit of invention, all to do with being tight :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

i believe no longer available in the uk but some are listed on ebay etc or can be bought in america for around $40.
retailed in the uk for around £35.

small and light...around 6lb

My mum and dad had one for camping .. :thumb:

here but, temporarily out of stock
Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

a friend of mine had one a few years back as his ONLY washing machine and swore by it !

The WONDERWASH.

I had one of those. Used it twice and ended up giving it away. Pain the the backside, the back and the arms and left your clothes dripping wet. I can't remember who I gave it to no but I haven't heard anything from them :ROFLMAO:

Prefer the twin tub I have now :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My mum and dad had one for camping .. :thumb:

here but, temporarily out of stock
Link Removed

while searching for info i found quite a few sites were out of stock....one or two were on the ball saying they dont know when, if ever, they will get stock.
one supplier went as far as to state they are no longer available in the uk and they couldnt restock.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree with Karl (Grommet)...

Wonder Wash useless...

I reckon if one is using "pressure" to force anything through anything then there has to be a pressure DIFFERENCE between one side and the other... so if you are forcing water through material (clothes) the pressure one side has to be lower than the other. How does sticking clothes in a tub, sealing it and pumping it up push the water through the clothes? :Doh:

Anyhow, it took up loads of space, loads of water and didn't work. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Anyhow I now have a solution... takes up no space... uses no powder... uses no water... and you still have clean clothes...

Do what Jack Reacher does... when your clothes are too dirty for use... buy new ones and throw the old ones away... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Wonder Wash useless...

I reckon if one is using "pressure" to force anything through anything then there has to be a pressure DIFFERENCE between one side and the other... so if you are forcing water through material (clothes) the pressure one side has to be lower than the other. How does sticking clothes in a tub, sealing it and pumping it up push the water through the clothes? :Doh:

JJ :Cool:

Brownian Motion and Fourier’s Heat Equation

Brownian motion is named after Robert Brown, a Scottish botanist who discovered
the phenomenon in 1827. :winky:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

it dont say that in your link jim:Smile:
it says you have to put it under pressure(you have to shout at it):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it dont say that in your link jim:Smile:
it says you have to put it under pressure(you have to shout at it):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

well, I can't be held responsible for that now can I .. :Doh:

The wording in the link is no doubt written in such a fashion as to be understood by non technical people .... if the scientific principal, Brownian Motion and Fourier’s Heat Equation was given most just wouldn't understand ... :winky:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Slightly off topic but...... At a campsite we stayed at in France recently they had a vintage wringer (Acme brtitish made in the fifties I guess) by the laundry sinks. Thought it was a great idea to help with hand washing and it was well used. Would be great if more sites followed suit!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
while searching for info i found quite a few sites were out of stock....one or two were on the ball saying they dont know when, if ever, they will get stock.
one supplier went as far as to state they are no longer available in the uk and they couldnt restock.

John here is one for you

Link Removed

But surely this is the modern way to go....or the one I would buy

Link Removed

Mel:thumb:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
GJH;465941 Also as it happens I had a couple of 5 gallon bins in the garage left over from home brewing many years ago. With the addition of a large plunger bought from Poundstretcher for 99p said:
What a brilliant idea but- what happened to the home brewing? We've just started with home made hock glugging quietly by the stove.
I find the travel washing gel in a tube " Genie" great in the van. It's light,small to store( in a tube)and very effective. You can get it in French supermarkets
Lucille

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Brownian Motion, quite appropriate....:thumb:

It's because of that stupid Brownian Motion, I now have to wash my underpants more often than I used to!:Eeek::Eeek:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
A couple of years ago when I got fed up of using Laundrettes I started just leaving things to soak in a bucket overnight and a good camping rotary clothes dryer (takes very little room), and even if we are away for 3 months no trouble at all. (my only wish is to find a very small lightweight old fashioned wringer) I would be sorted then.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What a brilliant idea but- what happened to the home brewing? We've just started with home made hock glugging quietly by the stove.
Used to do it in our last house but nowhere suitable in this one - which we moved into only 19 years ago ::bigsmile:

I find the travel washing gel in a tube " Genie" great in the van. It's light,small to store( in a tube)and very effective. You can get it in French supermarkets
Lucille

Doesn't that gel taste a bit funny when you brew it though? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A couple of years ago when I got fed up of using Laundrettes I started just leaving things to soak in a bucket overnight and a good camping rotary clothes dryer (takes very little room), and even if we are away for 3 months no trouble at all. (my only wish is to find a very small lightweight old fashioned wringer) I would be sorted then.

Funny you should mention an old fashioned wringer, Carol. We're both sure that we had a small one that we could use on a worktop (with suckers on its feet) in the first few years of our marriage but no idea what happened to it and can't find anything like it anywhere.

We bought a rotary dryer at Newark in March and it works very well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back