Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Folks, this probably seems a silly question to those who know the answer, but to someone who grew up outside of the mobile phone- wi-fi era,
If in France and in a wi-fi site or Mc Donalds, can I connect to their wi-fi without incurring charges on my phone?
Regards, John

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Folks, this probably seems a silly question to those who know the answer, but to someone who grew up outside of the mobile phone- wi-fi era,
If in France and in a wi-fi site or Mc Donalds, can I connect to their wi-fi without incurring charges on my phone?
Regards, John

Yes......

Just make sure you switch the data roaming off on your phone before you leave UK.

Many apps will still use data therefore incurring charges even without you knowing.

Then just connect using the wi-fi on your phone if you have got free access at Mc Donalds or a camp site etc.

I am typing this message sat on the pool terrace at a campsite in France using "Free WiFi" and its a very fast signal too..:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Regards, John

Yes and no, If you have "SKYPE" set up on your computer you can use your computer as a phone, it one hell of a lot cheaper but you sometimes have to put up with poor reception.

To give you a better idea, I don't have a land line at home so I have been using SKYPE 100% for all my outgoing calls for the last 3 years bot at home and abroad.

I believe that dedicated wifi phones will also work but I have no knowledge of them.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back