Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, I just wanted to say hello, we ( my wife and I ) are from east Sussex and we are looking at buying an RV to go full-time, we have joined up here to meet other full timers. We look forward to making friends and becoming a part of this community. :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Tel, you are in the right place for advice, there are lots of fulltimers here, welcome to the Fun :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi :welcome: to motorhome fun. :thumb:

:flyingwelcome: Bob and Jane.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi and welcome..

As Jim says, we have a good few fulltimers and a few ex fulltimers.. we did it for three years then decided it wasn't for us..

There is much to consider before taking the plunge .. we have a fulltime forum with a lot of good reading and advice .. many of your questions will have been asked and answered before and some you hadn't thought of, but don't hesitate to ask again .. it's a big step and needs careful consideration before embarking .. good luck ..

jim

OP
OP
T

Tel64

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks! This is something we have thought of doing for a long time and are now looking around viewing, my initial concern is driving one, they are so big, we are looking to buy a 30 ft approx RV...is this something most people fear?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks! This is something we have thought of doing for a long time and are now looking around viewing, my initial concern is driving one, they are so big, we are looking to buy a 30 ft approx RV...is this something most people fear?

Yes, I think most people fear the first drive unless they are ex truck drivers.. the one I had was 36ft .. see picture below.. it took quite a bit of getting used to.. great on the open road and great for living in .. downside is parking and finding suitable sites ..( see link in signature for map of sites suitable for RVs ) .. research and planning before setting off is paramount ..

If buying again I would set a max length of 28ft .. easier to manoeuvre on sites, and less limitation on where you can go.. also many sites now have this as a length limit.

A 28ft RV with twin slides is very spacious.. and more than adequate for full timing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Big RVs cost a fortune on the road and limit where you can go. I know a few in here full time in European vans much smaller. Fuel up from 8 mpg to 25 mpg. It all depends on if you don't intend to move much ( buy a caravan ) or wander all over the place.

OP
OP
T

Tel64

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2011
Thankyou, I took this subject over to the 'Beginners' so as not to clog up any intro's here :Smile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Hi and welcome. Yes it is something most people fear, the size. I have a thirty one feet Winnebago, and initially it seemed big, and daunting even though i have held a class one HGV licence for many years.
I think the fact that they are LHD is another factor, also panoramic windshields, etc. However, it will shrink, and after a while you will not even notice the size. It will become second nature. My son is a coach driver, and he found it strange at first, being LHD, but he handles it with ease now he is used to it.
An automatic gearbox, with cruise, is so relaxing, and comfortable.
If you are going full time, size is important, you will need space and comfort.
Mine has a separate bedroom in the rear and this is wonderful. A full size shower, separate toilet, wash basin. Heated holding tanks, and especially the slide out, etc, make it all i ever wanted.
I do not full time, but, my brother does in his 34ft Winnebago, and he wouldn't change his lifestyle for the world.
I wish you all the very best in your search.

Craig

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi
Welcome to MH Fun

:welcomefunster:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Big RVs cost a fortune on the road and limit where you can go. I know a few in here full time in European vans much smaller. Fuel up from 8 mpg to 25 mpg. It all depends on if you don't intend to move much ( buy a caravan ) or wander all over the place.

Very true..

Can you say what your plans are, lots of touring around Europe or several months on sites and moving only to follow the sun.. or something else ?

This would help greatly with advice..

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Surely a caravan to full time in and a suitable vehicle to tow comfortably with, is going to be as long, or longer, than an RV. And as for getting 25mpg dragging a caravan around, mmmm, i don't think so. Maybe a 5th wheeler is an alternative.

Craig

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the Fun, from the question regarding size I spot another question. do you have the correct licence to drive a large RV?
To drive anything and get comfortable with it just takes time before it becomes second nature. don't let that put you off.
If you intend to tour maybe a much smaller vehicle and trailer would be better, both for economy and accessability. A trailer could house a washing machine, generator, motorcycle, pushbikes chairs etc etc in a secure place

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Surely a caravan to full time in and a suitable vehicle to tow comfortably with, is going to be as long, or longer, than an RV. And as for getting 25mpg dragging a caravan around, mmmm, i don't think so. Maybe a 5th wheeler is an alternative.

Craig

Two points Craig, Brain didn't say 25mpg with a caravan... and although longer it bends in the middle..

I've used both, an 18ft caravan with a car is more manoeuvrable than a similar length RV and will get a lot more MPG .. maybe not 25 but certainly in the high teens..

These and many other points have to be considered by the OP, and as already said much depends on how they intend to live.. No point in a +30Ft RV standing static for most of the time and also requires a toad for daily use.. ..

After the initial burst of mad touring most full timers end up living at one locale or another for the greater part of the year.. and moving to follow the sun.. a caravan ( a 5er is a caravan) is IMO a better outfit ..

There are those who are real nomads .. but they tend to use smaller Eurovans.. At around 60p per mile with an RV you need deep pockets , very deep pockets for extended touring ..

OP
OP
T

Tel64

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for your advice everyone...yes I have the correct licence to drive an RV, our plans would be to live fulltime in the RV (renting our home) starting off based where we live (which is by the sea) and travelling out as we become used to driving it, we are not planning to remain in one place. The RV we are interested in buying is 28ft. Driving it is really my biggest fear right now as I have never driven one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back