Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Having paid for a habitation service this year I had three of my MH windows resealed. The other two did not even warrant a damp meter reading on the habitation chart given. Imagine my horror when one of these, "Safe," windows began leaking at an alarming rate and needed to be resealed.
You will not be surprised I do not intend to have a habitation done next year, but to make sure I do not miss any damp penetration I thought if I bought a damp meter I would be able to keep a check myself.
The gas I can get checked much cheaper by a gas engineer so pffft to habitation checks.

Hence I am looking to buy a damp meter but as prices range from £5 to £129 I would be grateful for any advice and suggestions from the more experienced among us.

Many thanks

Norman

Grumblewagon

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
N.Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30+
Hi Normanandsue, I see that you're in the Broch, so we live pretty near each other. Now, as for damp meters, I don't have a lot of faith in them. Many are made for checking the moisture level in timber and do not give reliable readings in buildings, vehicles etc.. For example, slight condensation can give inaccurate readings. There was a lot of anaecdotal evidence of dodgy dealers exploiting this when you wanted to trade in a van!

I've never bothered with habitation services - just another cost that I can do without. As you suggest, gas work can be done by a qualified engineer, and a lot of other jobs are within DIY scope.

I can only suggest that if you want a damp meter, that you get one that is specifically for this purpose. Remember, it can only detect moisture - not the cause.

Cheers.. G

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a pro one I am selling. I have just cleared out my storage unit and need to get rid of a load of stuff as it won't fit in the van (I am a full timer)
I will dig it out and let you know what it is.

I used it when I had my Flimsy's but don't need in my self build.

Karl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
Having paid for a habitation service this year I had three of my MH windows resealed. The other two did not even warrant a damp meter reading on the habitation chart given. Imagine my horror when one of these, "Safe," windows began leaking at an alarming rate and needed to be resealed.
You will not be surprised I do not intend to have a habitation done next year, but to make sure I do not miss any damp penetration I thought if I bought a damp meter I would be able to keep a check myself.
The gas I can get checked much cheaper by a gas engineer so pffft to habitation checks.

Hence I am looking to buy a damp meter but as prices range from £5 to £129 I would be grateful for any advice and suggestions from the more experienced among us.

Many thanks

Norman

Having done damp surveys on houses but not motorhomes, before you buy a damp meter, please ask yourself the following questions:

1 What will the damp meter indicate, with regard to damp penetration from the outside of your MH?

2 How accurate and reliable is the reading?

3 Having obtained a reading, what will you do with the information?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I believe the pros use a Protimeter:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The one I have is a Protimeter Mini which I bought from Link Removed full description on the link.

It has the meter, an extension cable with remote probes. Spare pins, calibration kit and instruction manual. This is all in a case.

It is as good as new condition and only used once.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The one I have is a Protimeter Mini which I bought from Link Removed full description on the link.

It has the meter, an extension cable with remote probes. Spare pins, calibration kit and instruction manual. This is all in a case.

It is as good as new condition and only used once.

If Norman doesn't want it can I have second refusal:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sure, I put it on ebay at £80 + £10 carriage.
If any fun member wants it I will drop that by £30. So £60 inc postage.

Its in my shop on ebay if you want to see the details of the device itself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/karlg1971/m.html

Been a busy couple of days for me on ebay :RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It has sold via ebay. sorry for anyone who has pm'd me with offers.

That sold fast......

Karl

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Having done damp surveys on houses but not motorhomes, before you buy a damp meter, please ask yourself the following questions:

1 What will the damp meter indicate, with regard to damp penetration from the outside of your MH?

2 How accurate and reliable is the reading?

3 Having obtained a reading, what will you do with the information?

Thanks for your thought provoking comments. I had hoped the reading on the meter would have shown the level of damp ingress surrounding the windows and the door and should they be at a level of 15% or less then the reading could be ignored. Should the reading be higher than this then it would, I thought, indicate the window might be in need of being resealed.

Having said that the window that leaked had a reading of less than 15% so I suppose as you suggest the readings actually mean little or nothing.
Also as I saw the wood supporting the window when removed, after it had been leaking seriously for about a couple of months, there was barely any sign of water stain and certainly no damage, so perhaps the best indication of damp penetration is when the window actually leaks.

Norman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back