LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Can anyone help me with this? It would be really useful to be able to use the internet when over in France. I bought an unlocked dongle only to find that by the time I get logged onto my home page my £10 or £15 top up has been gobbled up.
So I bought a wifi booster (one of these:- Link Removed) It works great and yes, it does boost the range of networks within reach. However, the majority are secure networks which are of no use. The others are either 'Airportthru' which I have found out is the default name of a particular manufacturer's wireless printers! or a 'Free Wifi' network which asks for a username and password. Below it asks (In French) Not registered? Click here to register and get on line immediately. Clicking on the link has no effect. I was under the impression that if I was in range of a Mcdonald's I could pick up their signal but find that even on their carpark no signal is detected and only inside the premises can I get a signal.

We have just returned from a month touring France staying at a different location every day. I tried finding an available network at every location without success.
Is there any hope of me getting internet access in France?

To add insult to injury as we drove through the ferry port I saw the port had Free Wifi available and assumed that also it would be available on the ferry but after repeately failing to find a network enquired with one of the crew who informed me that the ship did not have any Wifi on board. :cry:
Wyn

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I was actually looking at a sat- based system recently. Quite expensive to set up at the moment it would appaear as they are fairly new, and they are effected by heavy rain. That said, you can pick up 'broadband' anywhere you like!......though not a ferry.

If you look for too-way, i beleive they are called, you can have a browse. You will be looking at £30 a month ish subscription and around £500 mark to buy the dish etc - all this depends on how much you wish to stay in touch!

I would suppose if you priced up against site fees, dongle fees etc over a month, it is probably on par, if not cheaper and with a slightly more guaranteed result.

I was planning to have a chat with other members who may have this system to see how they are getting on with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Can anyone help me with this? It would be really useful to be able to use the internet when over in France. I bought an unlocked dongle only to find that by the time I get logged onto my home page my £10 or £15 top up has been gobbled up.
So I bought a wifi booster (one of these:- Link Removed) It works great and yes, it does boost the range of networks within reach. However, the majority are secure networks which are of no use. The others are either 'Airportthru' which I have found out is the default name of a particular manufacturer's wireless printers! or a 'Free Wifi' network which asks for a username and password. Below it asks (In French) Not registered? Click here to register and get on line immediately. Clicking on the link has no effect. I was under the impression that if I was in range of a Mcdonald's I could pick up their signal but find that even on their carpark no signal is detected and only inside the premises can I get a signal.

We have just returned from a month touring France staying at a different location every day. I tried finding an available network at every location without success.
Is there any hope of me getting internet access in France?

To add insult to injury as we drove through the ferry port I saw the port had Free Wifi available and assumed that also it would be available on the ferry but after repeately failing to find a network enquired with one of the crew who informed me that the ship did not have any Wifi on board. :cry:
Wyn

Free Internet in France, first a little history..... about 4 or 5 years ago there was plenty of free Internet in France, IE garages, lorry parks, road side hostels/cafes etc. But then the telephone companies took these place's over and now about the only regular free wifi access is McDonald's, plus a few supermarkets and marinas

Fortunately, despite the french not liking the yanks there are plenty of Mac's about.

You can set your modem to only show insecure stations or AP (access points) which is what you are looking for.

Doug...

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are currently in France on hols.....

Been using wifi on campsites, and free wifi on my antenna, since we arrived we have had connection everyday, wherever we are, at the moment it is real high speed, my wife has just downloaded a Pinoy language movie from SE Asia...

Yes, via the mobile companies here it is very expensive. I have sim cards for most other euro countries, but not for France..

If we are out of range i use my UK Vodafone to check my mail and surf a little on my mobile.. £2 per day.. I have not spent a £ yet...

So it is no big problem, just be a little patient and flexible...

and if you get a sat based system it will work on any ferry........:thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
And if you require a secure conection call into any "library" in France, 15 or 20 minutes for free, long enough for banking etc.:thumb:[/[/I

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back