LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, the window in the side of my van is as much use as a catflap in a spaceship. You cannot open it in hot weather as the hab door opens across it. Now the question is, "is it possible to have a sliding window made to replace it and would the cost be prohibitive? Thanks in advance. :Smile:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Ken

Funny enough we are designing a self build, and luckily enough I picked up the design fault before we placed the order as the door came across the kitchen window too.

We have ordered a sliding window instead.

You might be better if its a standard size contacting seitz, or whoever manufactured the window to see if it can be done, you might have to just replace the whole window, not a problem if a standard size, but depends on how new your van is and warranty etc.

Bear in mind that the sliding windows only slide half way so although its better than nothing it is more restricted, I think also that the slide should be a certain way, not sure of the top of my head if its the same direction as the driving or the other way.

Good luck

Pat

You could try rainbow conversions

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, the window in the side of my van is as much use as a catflap in a spaceship. You cannot open it in hot weather as the hab door opens across it. Now the question is, "is it possible to have a sliding window made to replace it and would the cost be prohibitive? Thanks in advance. :Smile:

My response Ken is "Why bother" spend your money on something more exciting, like Steph!
  • The window does not open in hot weather.
  • In hot weather the door the door opens across it.
The door is open so plenty of fresh air, presumably other windows are open too, if not, then open them.

If the door opens across it then it is unlikely any significant amount of fresh air will enter the van even if it opened.

When you have spent a large amount of money I am not sure you will gain more fresh air or anything else.

Mmmm........ wonder if this is why the manufacturers made it a fixed window?

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Oi---------On the two days when you are lucky enough for it to be so hot------go and sit outside---so much better than creating a potential leaky van

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
surely ken the window being fixed is a good thing, if you put a slider in there just think how easy it will then be to break into then van whilst it is parked up. Now i could understand you wanting a 'stable' type door where by you could have the top open and the bottom closed. (Still think they are the best type of doors) but a sliding window naw not worth the hassle.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
ksebruce does not say the window is fixed.

I imagine it is the normal opening type which cannot open when the door is open because it is across the window.

In the Pilote range, I had an aventura which was like this. The more expensive reference with the same layout had a sliding window instead of the normal opening window.

So it's a cost saving measure in the manufacture of the van.

I'd live with it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I presume if the window is open the door can impact on it.. yes ?

If so, I would change, as it's only a matter of time until it gets damaged, either by the door being caught by a gust of wind or by someone having a 'senior' moment .. and in all probability also damage the door.. If that's not the case then I wouldn't bother.

There should be a Seitz sliding window with the same dimensions .. making it an easy change over..

Link Removed

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Jim I will look into that. :thumb:

Don't know why folks assumed it was not an "opener" :Eeek:

Here is a pic you can see the door a 1/3 of the way across the window. I am thinking of a sliding window opening from the left. Here is a piccie. :Doh:

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 29

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

I have a sliding window, except it dosnt slide its stuck, Im not sure there a good idea, its only worked once:Doh:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
We have a sliding window behind the door and we do get wind noise and a draught from where the two panes overlap. I would be tempted to leave as is, although it is annoying when these design faults come to light.
Geoff.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi ken ours has a sliding window that the front part opens so would be ideal so you can get them.
you could always swap the hinges over on the door so it opens the other way :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Windows

HI Ken
Our Autotrail has the same design fault and we have learnt to live with it and don,t use that window.
Swift have put some sort of a strut on there models with this fault and it stops the door going back over the window which I personally think is worse than the originall fault:thumb:
alan

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
As I see it you got two choices ,take the door off an swop the inges to the other side,or get hack saw out an cut door in half then you can open the bottom half an still have the windy open, simples, if you need any more diy tips you only need to ask:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ken from looking at your pic I don't think they make a slider that size :Sad: but that is easy to check from Jim's link :thumb: It is a easy job to change the window although they are £300 plus and they no longer make the older style you have.Having said that http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ or http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/ may well have stock of them in :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Having looked at the prices and me being Scottish I have decided to leave well enough alone. :Eeek: Thanks for the replies. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back