Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Guys
On batteries, what does ultra deep cycle mean????

Tim:thumb:

A normal battery you discharge only 50%.

A deep discharge one can be taken to something like 70%.

Ultra - sounds like marketing speak.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Quote:

Watch the term leisure / deep cycle as it simply does not exist. The standard, so called, leisure batteries, are simply starter batteries with extra support for the active lead material. This may increase the life by 5 – 10 %, but does not turn a starter battery into a deep cycle battery. True traction (deep cycle) are not available at a sensible price and are uneconomical to use for standard leisure use. : unquote

For a better understanding of batteries and the terminology ....

Which battery is best ...

Link Removed

There is no such thing as a marine battery. If you see a marine label on a battery it is simply words and may as well say Mickey Mouse.

For cost and performance open lead acid batteries are king...

don't get sucked in by marketing hype.. or fancy meaningless labels with pretty pictures..

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good 12V traction monobloc batteries can be had at a reasonable price as long as you view £150 as being reasonable!
Given that a proper traction battery at this price point will outlast up to ten £60 batteries as well as providing double the Ah of a cheap equivalent, I view them as very reasonable!::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Good 12V traction monobloc batteries can be had at a reasonable price as long as you view £150 as being reasonable!
Given that a proper traction battery at this price point will outlast up to ten £60 batteries as well as providing double the Ah of a cheap equivalent, I view them as very reasonable!::bigsmile:

Sound logic there, can you give us all a link to look at spec, size and prices.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Hi Guys
On batteries, what does ultra deep cycle mean????

Tim:thumb:

Remember to wash them in non bio and on 30 deg....

Srry you asked a serious question and i thought that was an amusing comment...it was mainly for me to chuckle at..ok chuckle over.

Sounds like u r doing the battery headache which one to buy?..when you decide and its a personal nightmare...A company called RING do a nice little car charger with a difference...you plug one end to a good battery that has a motor charging it..ie someone elses vehicle...and the other to your drained one ...within a few minutes there is enough power to start your own dead battery via your own engine and you are away...it all works through the cigar lighter plug in the two vehicles.

To anyone with an american rv this piece of kit means if your house battery is dead it can be charged via your veicle engine cigar dash plug to cigar tv plug and then after a few minutes of charging there will be sufficient power to start up your genny to complete the house charge. The reverse way round with genny running if your vehicle battery is dead. Then after a few minutes of charging there will be enough power to start your vehicle battery.

Remember to stop and unplug the charger before you try to start whichever engine you are trying to start though....it says so on the can and i always obey what it says on the tin.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Nice link Jim
I think that at some time ..that article wll save me a few bob.
Very educational.

thanks

barry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
it also has to do with the thickness of the plates which are what hold the charge, car batteries are light as they only have very thin plates which are needed for a short power burst for starting your vehicle, as the plates get thicker the batteries get heavier and are called leisure batteries they are better at holding and delivering their charge over a period of time, as batteries start to perform less its usually due to the plates getting furled up to and help prevent this its recommended you use a decent 3 stage pulsating charger occasionally to give them a really good charge

maggie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Car and deep cycle battery answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), tips, manufacturer's information, references and hyperlinks are contained on this consumer oriented Web site about car, power sports (including motorcycle), truck, boat, marine, recreational vehicle, solar, and other starting and deep cycle applications.

CAR AND DEEP CYCLE BATTERY FAQ 2011

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
We are at Malvern and our house batteries have died. :cry:

Not surprising really as I believe they may be the originals :RollEyes:

The RoadPro magazine that came with the show program has "Tech Tip" on "Power from your Battery" - very informative. I called in to see them to buy one of there batteries (Banner) but they haven't brought any to the show :Doh:

They can send some out to me next week, but I had heard that the Trojan make were also very good.

Anyone had any dealing with either of this or do you have another favourite?

What ever I get it must be fast as we need them for the Oswestry weekend ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had heard that the Trojan make were also very good.

Trojan are indeed top quality batteries, with a price tag to match.. but you get what you pay for, you can't go wrong with them.. one of the best deep cycle batteries on the market..

http://www.trojan-batteries-online.co.uk/

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Given some good advice and info on the thread.......what do folks think are the best brands that offer performance and value...and where do you get them from.

Thinking of upgrading one battery to two :)

barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Given some good advice and info on the thread.......what do folks think are the best brands that offer performance and value...and where do you get them from.

Thinking of upgrading one battery to two :)

barry

This company supply good quality leisure batteries at competitive prices.. Supplied straight from the factory with no middle man lining his pockets..

I have used them for getting on for 20 years .. I used to pick them up at the factory.. fresh off the production line.. :thumb:

Give them a call with your size for a price and delivery cost.

http://www.lincon.co.uk/

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Here's a supplier of Trojan traction batteries-

Link Removed

We use Dyno batteries sourced through a local forklift battery bloke, SJB Batteries at Thorney near Peterborough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back