Now its the 3.0 Semi Auto's turn (1 Viewer)

welly414

Free Member
Aug 10, 2011
lancashire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
Hello all,

Well it seems that Fiat's gearbox problems are extending across the range. My 8 month old and 1600 mile McLoius Tandy 636g has now been in a Fiat dealership for week whilst they try and find a fault that has it stuck in reverse, well on the readout at least.

It seems (well according to Fiat) I am the first one with this issue and the dealership have been in constant contact with Italy trying to find a solution but as yet to no avail.

I now have had to hire a caravan to be set up at the CC site at Morn Hill Winchester for this weekend as we are going to watch the MX World Championship round............not happy

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
You have my sympathy!

Given that Fiat do not make the engine I wonder if they make the gearbox either?

This also makes me wonder if there is anything in common between the Fiat auto and the old Merc sprintshift. I had one of these once and had a lot of trouble with it, now I would not buy a semi auto again.

This is not a lot of help to you, lets hope Fiat get it sorted for you.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Sorry to hear about your problems

I have a 3 litre auto 2009 autotrail

Can anyone tell me is this a traditional auto or a semi auto

Either way its great to drive. ( so far ):Smile:

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think they are a robotised manual gearbox similar to what the smart has.
basically a manual box but instead of the mechanical gear selector they fit a stepper motor to select the gears and a few extra sensors and an actuator to operate the clutch and then an ECU to control it all.

OP
OP
W

welly414

Free Member
Aug 10, 2011
lancashire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
You are correct, apparently the bods in Italy have been working on the theory that it was the actuator at fault, its taken a week to find that it isn't that after all. Latest from 3pm today is that some top techy person is coming to see the fault in person tomorrow.

Beachcaster; If you have the 'normal' looking gear lever on the dash that you push away from you to put it into manual mode and the motorhome button on the dash just above it, then yours is semi-auto. It does drive extremely well and had shown no signs of a problem beforehand. I went to collect it after some warranty work, on the habitation side and the screen in the dash would not move from the 'R' reading and the van would lurch backwards when the engine was turned off. It would then select 'N' in the window and start up in neutral but instantly the display changed to 'R' but the box was still in neutral :Eeek:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I know one or two people like that "stuck in reverse":ROFLMAO:

I hope you get sorted out by Fiat soon please keep us up to date:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Latest from 3pm today is that some top techy person is coming to see the fault in person tomorrow.

Progress hey.

Now move on to out of warranty time, you're on the trip of a lifetime, enjoying the Atlas mountains and on comes the R light.

If that thought does not make you shudder I don't know what will.

Or maybe I do, what is the residual value of something so complex they have to fly in experts from Italy.

This is common in industry but industry can absorb the cost. Whole different matter when some poor old pension's dream is melting away. A whole different matter when the Geo's of this world can't do repairs any more.

OP
OP
W

welly414

Free Member
Aug 10, 2011
lancashire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
All sorted now.

Techy person obviously new his stuff on Friday (last) and ordered the part, it arrived from Italy on Wednesday and was fitted yesterday. Lets hope they can develop the proccess into the diagnostic system, as hildweller quite rightly states we are at the mercy of the microchip these days.

Big thanks to Tilshead Caravans whose excellent hire service (with delivery and set up if required, like us) worked a treat and to the Wardens at Morn Hill for all their help over the weekend.

Now its off to Cornwall and Devon for 10 days from next Saturday.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I was at Morn Hill at the weekend, but obviously didn't see you if you were in a caravan, great weather though.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
W

welly414

Free Member
Aug 10, 2011
lancashire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
1 year
Hi Bill

We were on the centre island directly in front of you as you reached the fork after the reception. Dark blue Lexus GS450H, that everyone was looking for the towbar on all weekend ::bigsmile:

The weather, barring Saturday morning was excellent and the Moto X was well worth all the mither and expense.

Regards

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back