A Class
Well after years of dreaming motorhomeness I got one a month or two ago
Had done it years ago in Canada and I have fond memories of same
So, first 'proper' trip,
Scone for 1 night, p#shes down
Coniston, p#shes down every day
Loch Lomond, P#shes down every day
Loch Tay, P#ishes down every day
Coniston was worst, under trees which made it worst, no sleep for the first few nights

So what have I learnt ?
1. I need a tow car to get from sites to activities....or should I have just bought a Caravan to start with ? I already have a car which will easily tow
2. Don't pitch under trees if you can help it, it makes the rain noise worse
3. Sitting in an awning in the rain has limited appeal, although wine helps
4. The CC sites were far nicer than the C&CCC site we stayed on
5. Sevylor inflatables are superb
6. The black bull in Coniston serves great food and beer, plus it let my pup in :thumb:

Will be a long time before I can convince Mrs Motoberg to go motorhoming again, what a disaster:cry:
Motorhome for sale anyone....

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Fragile things dreams.

Pretty obvious where you went wrong, lakes. What are lakes full of, rain.

All you had to do was drive south a long way. Remember that for next time.

He's right you know.....:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Two things - firstly could you please publish your itinerary for any future trips so that funsters who do not want rain can avoid:ROFLMAO:

Secondly, am I alone in liking the sound of heavy rain on the roof of the motorhome? - as long as it doesn't go on all day, every day (as in your case):thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This is known as a 'wet dream' hopefully next trip will be less wet and more dream ..

Your correct about the need for a tow car with a large motorhome. They are great for touring but not so great for doing days out from the site.. This is when a caravan comes into it's own..

ps.. your sound Scottish ..?

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Secondly, am I alone in liking the sound of heavy rain on the roof of the motorhome?

Love it, keeps SWMBO awake, not me, one of my favorite sounds, almost hypnotic:thumb:

I don't know where the expresion origionates from but I saw it on a shop front in Keswick, 'there's no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes', kinda have to agree. Much as I like warm sunny weather I'd take a rainy trip in the van over work any day:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I don't know where the expresion origionates from but I saw it on a shop front in Keswick, 'there's no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes', kinda have to agree. Much as I like warm sunny weather I'd take a rainy trip in the van over work any day:thumb:

Sorry you had a wash out trip , but I'm with dodgey on this too. Rain never stops play in our household. We take our waterproofs and still get out and about regardless. Infact the furthest South we have ever been is the I.O.W. last May ,:Blush: it was red hot and sunny all week .
We have been lucky though as this May we went to the Lake-district and they had the sunniest weather they had had in years. :Cool:
We weren't prepared though and didnt have loads of summer clothes with us . Boy it was hot too.:Cool:
We are going off again next week , not planning for wall to wall sunshine , though we will take some summer stuff this time just incase.
Weve got the kayak , wetsuits , body and surfboards , and all the waterproofs.
Sun will be a bonus though especially when we do the pony trekking day , but if it rains C'est la vie .

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We have been lucky though as this May we went to the Lake-district and they had the sunniest weather they had had in years. :Cool:

May defiantly seems to be the time to visit the Lakes, always seems the sunniest, got married in May in the lakes, loverly day::bigsmile:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Sitting warm & snug in the camper with a drink whilst its pissing down is one of the joys of having a MH:thumb:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
It does sound like you selected a bunch of the wettest locations in the UK. Still it could have been worse, you could have been in a tent.:rain:
Geoff.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It does sound like you selected a bunch of the wettest locations in the UK. Still it could have been worse, you could have been in a tent.:rain:
Geoff.

Indeed, we had three weeks of it in Scotland camping last summer .. but we had the car to go out in and had the right wet gear .. as already said.. no wrong weather.. you make the best of it.. and you don't go to the lakes or Scotland and expect a heat wave.. if you do that's a bonus.. like winning the lottery

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Well after years of dreaming motorhomeness I got one a month or two ago
Had done it years ago in Canada and I have fond memories of same
So, first 'proper' trip,
Scone for 1 night, p#shes down
Coniston, p#shes down every day
Loch Lomond, P#shes down every day
Loch Tay, P#ishes down every day
Coniston was worst, under trees which made it worst, no sleep for the first few nights

So what have I learnt ?
1. I need a tow car to get from sites to activities....or should I have just bought a Caravan to start with ? I already have a car which will easily tow
2. Don't pitch under trees if you can help it, it makes the rain noise worse
3. Sitting in an awning in the rain has limited appeal, although wine helps
4. The CC sites were far nicer than the C&CCC site we stayed on
5. Sevylor inflatables are superb
6. The black bull in Coniston serves great food and beer, plus it let my pup in :thumb:

Will be a long time before I can convince Mrs Motoberg to go motorhoming again, what a disaster:cry:
Motorhome for sale anyone....

thinking out loud here if thats your worst trip things can only get better

our third trip cost us a new engine
but thats behind us now :Eeek:

i don't mind the sound of the rain at night long as i am not getting wet
and its not inside :thumb:

must admit parking when off site is a pain
but if they don't want my truck they don't need me:thumb:

if its somewhere you really want to visit park out of town a little in a side street
just don't park to annoy though catch a bus/taxi
golden rule right down where you left it with the bus no or taxi back no:thumb:

OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
The thing has an 'attached' wind out awning which we'd have to put away if we took the van off site...so we didnt...

Wasn't expecting a heat wave but....wasnt expecting atlantis either ::bigsmile:
We had the wetsuits and kayak so wetness was ok..just not for SWMBO

Florida next, not sure how I'll get teh Frankia on as hand luggage though :RollEyes:

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Love it, keeps SWMBO awake, not me, one of my favorite sounds, almost hypnotic:thumb:

Billy Connolly quote..:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We were in Scotland recently, we took toad behind, had a fabulous time. If a wet day or two you can get in the dry in places like Sealife Centre ::bigsmile:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just back from a brilliant week of two wet adults and four wet kids:

Link Removed

But if it didn't rain, it would be the Hill District. :Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The last two or three years we have done Scotland right up the west coast and the Western Isles in April.

Every time really nice weather, and even warm 22 and 23 degrees....:Eeek:

You just got to be lucky with the weather....:Blush:

We were lucky, :thumb::thumb:

you evidently were not :swear: :whistle:

Tell SWMBO it will be better next time.....:imoutahere:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Secondly, am I alone in liking the sound of heavy rain on the roof of the motorhome?

No...it's quite relaxing, particularly when trying to sleep...

...unless you've pitched under a tree in my 'van, in which case the drops coming off the branches sound like hailstones :Sad: Serves me right for looking for the flatest spot to pitch the utlity tent :Doh:

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
I did see one motorhomer really get into the swing of things in Boscastle a while ago. He went sailing in his C class even though it was really raining quite hard. No such thing as the wrong weather. Only the wrong transport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back