Fresh water tank advice please (1 Viewer)

offwego

Free Member
May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi all,
As a novice to this game, I would like some advice from you experienced motorhomers with regard to the fresh water tank when not touring. Is it best to completely empty the tank or fill it up adding a water purifier in the process (Inherited a bottle of Katadyn Micropur from the previous owner)
I live in SW France and it concerns me that with the high temperatures experienced recently this could lead to unwanted bacteria problems.
Look forward to your informed replies :thumb:

offwego

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I work on the basis that bacteria need water. Dried meats, jams and many other foods are preserved by the removal of available water, so I follow the same logic with regards to the fresh tank. I drain down after each trip (trying to ensure I don't get home with a lot of fresh water still on board), then aim to get as much out as possible. I use my (clean) hand to sweep the residual water to the drain hole. Then I leave the inspection plug on top of the tank open but resting over its aperture to allow air in, vapour out and prevent debris falling in.
Before filling up next time, I have a 'squint' into the tank to check for debris / insects etc.; give the tank a quick swill - just half an inch, or less - then reinsert the drain bung and fill up. Sounds like a lot of work but only takes a few minutes in practice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For me it would depend on the 'not touring' time.. and also the location of the tank..

Bacteria need light .. so if the tank is in a dark locker or is painted black then for one or two weeks I wouldn't bother.. just leave it filled up then drain down and refill for the trip..

If longer, then I would drain down then sterilize before using again.. this is how I do it Link Removed

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all,
As a novice to this game, I would like some advice from you experienced motorhomers with regard to the fresh water tank when not touring. Is it best to completely empty the tank or fill it up adding a water purifier in the process (Inherited a bottle of Katadyn Micropur from the previous owner)
I live in SW France and it concerns me that with the high temperatures experienced recently this could lead to unwanted bacteria problems.
Look forward to your informed replies :thumb:

offwego

Perhaps I am alone in my thinking, I often am; but I never drain down my fresh water tank except in winter.
As my van is 13 years old I am sceptical that the fresh water is ever fresh, the sediment from 13 years must be there. Consequently I never drink water from the fresh water tank without first boiling it, then it is great in tea or coffee; the residue in the kettle is then fine for washing up. The water in the fresh water tank is fine for washing and showering and for use when cooking and preparing vegetables when once again it is boiled.
For the limited amount of "fresh water" we need we have a couple of bottles stored away which we either renew or refill depending on where we happen to be.

Norman

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Never drained my tank in my boat or my MH in 11 years, never added any additives in 11 years, always drank the tank water, in the last 4 years I have been using a nature pure filter and that is to remove the chlorine taste that is in tap water.

Neither my wife nor I or our friends and visitors have ever reported any health problems due to water.

Doug...

Upvote 0

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
Just a point.........many chemicals will harm tanks, pipes and fitting if left in for any length of time.
We empty ours after every trip and refill for each new trip and use no filters/chemicals.

Upvote 0

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
the equ to miltons at tesco,,,87 p and will treat 150 ltrs,, pour in and leave for a day ,,,drain and refill and offf we got ,,,lot less hassel than fill,re fill and clean :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: oh by the way not harm full to babys so not harmfull to you

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We empty the water tank when we've finished each trip. Fill it when we go out again, once we get to where ever. Sterilize it a couple of times a year with milton.
We drink the water as well as use it for everything else.
Saying that the motorhomes only left 3 weeks at the very most before using it again , as we usually go off every other weekend.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
never have emptied ours or sterilised it.
we use it for everything but we live in the van so there is plenty of water going in and out every week.
there is so much chemical in tap water to kill bacteria etc plus the water main has probably been full of the same stuff for years just moving a bit and mixing with more of the same.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

offwego

Free Member
May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
Thanks

Apologies for not replying sooner, but thanks to all of you that responded to my question concerning the fresh water tank.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Never drained my tank in my boat or my MH in 11 years, never added any additives in 11 years, always drank the tank water, in the last 4 years I have been using a nature pure filter and that is to remove the chlorine taste that is in tap water.

Neither my wife nor I or our friends and visitors have ever reported any health problems due to water.

Doug...

Hi Doug I agree, I've had 3 Motorhomes over 25 years and I have used the Nature Pure system from the USA for drinking and have never emptied or even cleaned my tanks it was costly initialy but a replacement filter annualy is all that is required. I would highly recommend this system to anyone.

Brian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back