living in my motorhome/paying council tax (1 Viewer)

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
:Blush: Can anyone else put some light on this particular query?

We have holiday let our house for the summer so we have now been reclassified as business rate for Council Tax purposes. The trouble is the Council now want to class us Band A on our motorhome which we are living in, changing sites every 28 days as Caravan Club rules dictate. Effectively the Council are charging us twice.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

:Sad::Sad::Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

We have holiday let our house for the summer so we have now been reclassified as business rate for Council Tax purposes. The trouble is the Council now want to class us Band A on our motorhome which we are living in, changing sites every 28 days as Caravan Club rules dictate. Effectively the Council are charging us twice.

Yes..

When full time we were billed for council tax while on a CL in Colchester.. but we weren't paying on any other property .. so not exactly the same circumstances.

see thread

Link Removed

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Council rates

will check with friends who are doing the same and live on Cl's in the Bristol area Will come back when I have an answer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

How can they charge you council tax when you are not in that area, sounds a load of hogwash to me, same as business rates for the house, its still RESIDENTIAL.

Peter

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
How can they charge you council tax when you are not in that area, sounds a load of hogwash to me, same as business rates for the house, its still RESIDENTIAL.

Peter
Not if it's a Holiday Let. They have their own tax rules and if let (or probably intended to be let) for 140 days or more in a year, then they pay business rates. They are taxed as a trading business not an investment income like long term renting.

As for council tax, I suspect you owe it for wherever you are staying as you have no other residential address. The paper trail resulting from that will be a nightmare.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
According to the website, you only pay it for one address.

Interesting thing is, what are they classifying your motorhome as?? It isn't a mobile home, as it doesn't satisfy the legal term of a mobile home.

As you are also moving around, I cannot see how they can charge you really! I would look into it in greater depth.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
It could be the council have their wires crossed, or maybe because you said it was a holiday let is the reason they want business rates for it, as holiday lets are classed as businesses, and there fore if you also said you would be living in your motorhome full time they are if you are sited in their area entitled to charge you rates on it. The council can charge rates on a caravan/motorhome if it is classed as your place of residence

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting thing is, what are they classifying your motorhome as?? It isn't a mobile home, as it doesn't satisfy the legal term of a mobile home.

As you are also moving around, I cannot see how they can charge you really! I would look into it in greater depth.
Tending to agree with the above. I can't see how a motorhome can be a "residence" without it being parked up long term on a site. If it is on a residential site then either council tax is payable or it's covered by the business rates paid by the site owner (the second being more likely)
But we are opening a can of worms here, address for insurance and driving license? I remember someone who went FT found one insurer who would cover them, but driving license?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you read the thread I gave in my fist post it covers most of the points raised.. plus a bit more..

You can also see the Court Summons I received from Colchester council for non payment ..

OP
OP
Myfanwy

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
council tax in my motorhome

Peter

:Smile: Hi Peter
Thanks for your reply. They have re-classified the property as we are 'advertising it' therefore it becomes liable under business rates. As we have stayed on and off in our area just moving every 28 days, (we have been to South Wales, Gloucester, Stockbridge, Winchester and West Sussex) we have to pay Council Tax for when we are in our area. We were only advised of this yesterday so a visit to the Council offices is imminent!:RollEyes:

Myfanwy

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Myfanwy

My friend :Eeek:MYFANWY:thumb: has answered the question I posted to her earlier today

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Myfanwy

My friend :Eeek:MYFANWY:thumb: has answered the question I posted to her earlier today,sounds like a bit of a nightmare:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back