LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:Eeek: GUTTED -- Been for vans MOT - failed because ABS warning light came on :cry: passed everything else :thumb: Now I am trying to find where / who has a computer to diagnose what is faulty :whatthe: then get it fixed.
Been told it is probably main agents job :Eeek:££££ :Eeek:
Our local HGC place has shut down :cry::cry: so now it may well be a 80 quid an hour job :whatthe:
GEO do you have any diagnostic equipment ?I can get to Chesterfield in about 30/40 mins :thumb:
terry

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
:Eeek: GUTTED -- Been for vans MOT - failed because ABS warning light came on :cry: passed everything else :thumb: Now I am trying to find where / who has a computer to diagnose what is faulty :whatthe: then get it fixed.
Been told it is probably main agents job :Eeek:££££ :Eeek:
Our local HGC place has shut down :cry::cry: so now it may well be a 80 quid an hour job :whatthe:
GEO do you have any diagnostic equipment ?I can get to Chesterfield in about 30/40 mins :thumb:
terry
might just be a broken wire or dirty abs sensor if you havent used the van in a while the crud off the disc's can mask the sensor?
take the wheels off and check the abs sensor's and clean.also check the wiring to abs sensor's:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
are you sure its not a bit of dust, dirt or grease affecting one of the sensors

ok Chris beat me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Take the bulb out.

Ian

well that works but doesnt cure the problem now does it and have you seen how hard it is to get some dashboards apart these days to remove/change bulbs and some of them you cant change without changing a whole panel cos they are led type things

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Take the bulb out.

Ian

:thumb: Already thought of that but the computer tells them it has ABS :Doh:
He already told me about the muck etc but says it is a gamble as to which wheel to start with :Eeek: It could be anything from muck on a sensor to a broken wire or even the sensor itself :Smile: hence save time and effort by having the diagnostic bit done to give a clue where to start :thumb:Apparently sender units can cost anything from 30 quid to 150 quid each :Eeek:Without the diagnostics there is no way of telling if it is the sender wires or muck unless you get lucky :Doh:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That defeats the object of having a warning light telling you the ABS does not operate. ABS can save your life and a nasty skid!

More than likely dirt on a sensor.

Peter

Hi Peter, the brakes still work great :thumb: it is just the stupid warning light :ROFLMAO:You can see the fronts no problem but (I think ) the rears are inside the drum ---discs all round with drums for hand brake --not a easy job to take to bits
terry

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If it gets you through the Mot? after that you can find the fault.

Ian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
GEO do you have any diagnostic equipment ?I can get to Chesterfield in about 30/40 mins

only problem is Geo's in MANSFIELD :roflmto:

i believe taking the bulb out will still be a fail....the tester will look for the light when the ignition is turned on and it illuminates momentarily as a test function.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
terry

A basic ODB2 reader for a PC is very cheap. Only problem is if a basic one will identify the particular fault. Look on ebay. £20 or so.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
As it happens my BUS passed MOT this morning:Smile: (with a little bit of help from Cheyne Upmarkethippy)::bigsmile:

Hope your sorted soon Terry:Cool:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
GEO do you have any diagnostic equipment ?I can get to Chesterfield in about 30/40 mins

only problem is Geo's in MANSFIELD :roflmto:

i believe taking the bulb out will still be a fail....the tester will look for the light when the ignition is turned on and it illuminates momentarily as a test function.

yep already said he will be looking for it :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
Mansfield is about the same distance :ROFLMAO: just hope he does not want 80 quid an hour :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Most vehicles use a standard protocol for reporting faults these days. Pretty much any decent sized independent garage will have an ABS fault code reader. It should at least identify which circuit is reporting the fault. You will then need to inspect that to see if it is dirt, a broken wire or a failed sensor.

No need for a main dealer, and a local garage should charge more than £10-20 for reading the codes.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
ABS

I had a ABS fault on my auto-trail, popped into a fiat dealer to be told broken off side front wheel sensor. 5 mins later £80:00 BILL OUCH!:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most vehicles use a standard protocol for reporting faults these days. Pretty much any decent sized independent garage will have an ABS fault code reader. It should at least identify which circuit is reporting the fault. You will then need to inspect that to see if it is dirt, a broken wire or a failed sensor.

No need for a main dealer, and a local garage should charge more than £10-20 for reading the codes.

had to have the codes read and reset on my volvo after a injector pump belt failure...volvo dont do timing marks as such for the injector pump :Doh:

£45 for the diagnostic, £45 to set the timing correctly...plus VAT

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Ours failed 4 weeks ago for not having beam deflectors on the headlights (it is left hand drive) when hubby said they are in the packet at home the reply was 'well i've already failed it now and its gone on the system, you will need to bring it back with them stuck on'. :Sad:

We have taken it to the same place for the last 2 years and it has never been picked up on as long as they know you are aware they should be on. There is keen and there is a bit too keen.

Then they had the cheek to charge another £40 for a re-test :Angry:.

Needless to say it wont be going there again neither will the other vehicles in the household!!! What plonkers.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Ours failed 4 weeks ago for not having beam deflectors on the headlights (it is left hand drive) when hubby said they are in the packet at home the reply was 'well i've already failed it now and its gone on the system, you will need to bring it back with them stuck on'. :Sad:

We have taken it to the same place for the last 2 years and it has never been picked up on as long as they know you are aware they should be on. There is keen and there is a bit too keen.

Then they had the cheek to charge another £40 for a re-test :Angry:.

Needless to say it wont be going there again neither will the other vehicles in the household!!! What plonkers.

There is no retest fee for headlamp alignment

Loddy

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all quick update --- freelanderuk -Chris has come up with the correct lead that nobody had :thumb:-sent for one ,cheers Chris :thumb:
yesterday morning,Went to 3 independents and nobody had right lead to couple it to computer so I finally phoned the main dealers who wanted 50 quid plus vat for a read out and £85 plus per hour :Eeek::cry: any way I argued the toss and got this reduced to £50 per hour :thumb::Eeek: Got the van through for 1pm as agreed and told about 10 mins wait until they shifted a big artic wagon away from the computer :Doh:After 45 mins they could see I was not a happy bunny with the wait so they sent a mec who got under my van to check for any loose wires etc,(already done that :Doh::RollEyes:)but at least some movement :thumb:At 2.30 another guy came out and said -I can do that with the laptop :thumb:so in he goes and comes back :thumb: :Eeek: he does not have the right lead :Eeek::whatthe::Eeek::cry:I cannot write my reply to that ::bigsmile: needless to say I was not pleased and paid nothing and may not be welcomed back :Smile:
Took it this morning to a proper guy who told me the fault is on the front left sensor :thumb:but it could also be something different :Eeek: Anyway he checked what he could in the spare time he squashed me in and gave me a couple of things to check :thumb: if that did/does not cure it then he can fit me in late next week to get it sorted :thumb:
In the morning I am taking it to a garage to remove the front disc and check some kind of sensor which has some kind of gearing on it -not got a clue so getting a mechanic who knows what he is doing :thumb: I can take the disc off but don't know what I am doing with it once off, so I will watch them do it and learn :thumb:
I have priced a complete new sensor up in case this gearing thing cannot be cleaned.
/ fixed and they are cheap :thumb: have it in stock :thumb: or at least have it in the morning :winky: so with a bit of luck it may be cured.Again the main dealer said it does not have ABS on my van :ROFLMAO: then after 5 mins investigating found it has and knows the part :thumb:
Anyone looking for a new career should seriously look at the diagnostics bit as the guy who I saw this morning is booked solid for 3 weeks-but promised to squash me in if needed next week (told him my hols depend on it :thumb:) He gave me the idea that he knew exactly what he was on about and in turn that has left me in no doubt it will get fixed either tomoz or next week :thumb:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
HuH!!! Missed this one terry anyone turned your light off yet to see if its a permenant fault or just a gremlin
as for diagnostics its a black art mate 50% scanner 50% hunch no matter how good you think you are the scan will only point you in the rough area the rest is up to the techy
Just looked at my Autodata for your vans and there is no test data for the sensors :Doh:
Geo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The gear thing could be a reluctor ring. They get rusty and gunked up. Easy to change especially on a smart car. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Geo I take it you went online like the guy did and found nothing ?Then told me about soft where that came in books a few yrs back,then Cd and now on a DVD ::bigsmile: same software from /for USA come on 12 DVDs :ROFLMAO: He told me more or less what you have said -black arts- and called Bosch German bar-stewards or something :ROFLMAO:Even the software that found the fault did not find faults when he unplugged the plug to say none of the 4 sensors should be working :ROFLMAO: He tested what he could in the 40 mins or so then hopes he is confident that it should be this gearing thing :Doh::winky: :ROFLMAO:If not it looks like he needs it next week :Eeek:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The gear thing could be a reluctor ring. They get rusty and gunked up. Easy to change especially on a smart car. :ROFLMAO:

Yep that what he called it :thumb: but on the iveco it comes as a complete sensor :Sad: but it is only 23 quid for the unit so not too bad as newer ivys are nearly 100 quid each :Eeek: so I am told
terry

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
Yep that what he called it :thumb: but on the iveco it comes as a complete sensor :Sad: but it is only 23 quid for the unit so not too bad as newer ivys are nearly 100 quid each :Eeek: so I am told
terry

terry is light on all time or after you move off does it come back on??
allso did it come on while they had it in for test or befor ??

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
terry is light on all time or after you move off does it come back on??
allso did it come on while they had it in for test or befor ??

yep on all time- he took it off and it came back on as we moved off-I know a couple
of auto sparks but this guy certainly knew his stuff :winky::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
terry...i had same prob on mine light on all the time the cure for mine was to top up fluid its worth a try
dave

They checked that in the MOT bay for me :winky:
The guy who did the read out/ quick test for me is pretty sure it is the reluctor ring thing as he tested the sensor it-self :thumb: but then tested other things that should show up as a fault but didn't :Eeek::Doh: hence the IF it is not that bring it back so he can test stuff with other things (beyond my understanding :ROFLMAO:)while connected
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back