Vista upgrade to Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
See if there is an upgrade path. MS sometimes offer one. Look Link Removed to see if your current PC can run Windows 7

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm always wary about putting a newer OS onto an old machine as the hardware might not be up to the job. If it is just for usability "upgrading" from Vista to XP might be preferable. I did that with one of our laptops and it runs much better ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm always wary about putting a newer OS onto an old machine as the hardware might not be up to the job. If it is just for usability "upgrading" from Vista to XP might be preferable. I did that with one of our laptops and it runs much better ::bigsmile:

It's not that old Graham.. It's a Sony VGN TZ2 1WN, about 2 year old, I want to upgrade for Charlotte starting senior school next month ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's not that old Graham.. It's a Sony VGN TZ2 1WN, about 2 year old, I want to upgrade for Charlotte starting senior school next month ..
Seems to have a high enough spec. Problems documented in reviews seem to be Vista rather than hardware related so 7 should be an improvement :Smile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Windows 7 is an improvement over Vista, but I am not convinced that I would upgrade an existing machine, not sure the benefit is worth the cost. There is also a risk of compatibility issues.

You say the reason for doing it is because charlotte is going to high school. If this is the only reason I would check what the school has, in my experience schools often have older systems and it might be better for her to have the same system as the school.

I used to run computer courses for U3A in a school and their machines were always several years behind what was commercially available.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Windows 7 is an improvement over Vista, but I am not convinced that I would upgrade an existing machine, not sure the benefit is worth the cost. There is also a risk of compatibility issues.

You say the reason for doing it is because charlotte is going to high school. If this is the only reason I would check what the school has, in my experience schools often have older systems and it might be better for her to have the same system as the school.

I used to run computer courses for U3A in a school and their machines were always several years behind what was commercially available.

well, it's not the only reason.. it is a crap system and I use it as well.. but I hear what you say.. I'm in no rush so will see what the school are using ..

cheers

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Dumb question

How do they know if you are a student or not?

Many, many moons ago, I purchased an Adobe Photoshop program as a student - and I had to supply proof that I was actually attending the course, Course number, course run by, when and where etc., etc., etc.

Mind you the program that I wanted originally cost something like £700 and they eventually let me have it for quite a bit less - however, I have upgraded 4 times since then at a cost of about £500 a time - so Adobe did well out of the deal, in the end!

Dick

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Most of the time the check for student status is having an education based email address.

Personally I wouldn't perform an upgrade on a used system but back up the data and do a clean install. Windows 7 will run better on it than either XP or Vista would, so I wouldn't worry about that side.

If you do get to a point where you need assistance, then let me know and I should be able to help remotely, or at worst you are not too far away.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
when you register you give the name of college or school with pupils name..

maybe it's just a loop hole to sell the software cheap .. and they don't actually check ?

Be careful, they don't check because they don't care whether you meet the licence requirements or not. They will not refund if the software company refuses you a serial number. So read those conditions carefully, I would suggest you do not buy any Adobe products if you cannot verify absolutely your student status. Microsoft on the other hand do not carry out such checks:whistle: I used them to get MS office pro for under £50 with no checks but paid £500 for the Adobe Master collection and had to send copies of letters verifying student status.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just to add, IMO, if Vista works on your Sony, it will work better with Win 7 and it will probably have every driver so the upgrade will be smooth and quick. :thumb:

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
I would echo what has been already said. In my view it is most important to trash Vista re partition\format and do a clean install.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Windows 7 ... I'm impressed

What can I say... never thought I would praise a windoze ... had 7 running on my small 12" Sony for about a week, did a fresh install and I am very impressed... so much so I may now buy a new windoze lappy instead of a Mac ... :Eeek:

Can't believe I just typed that ... :roflmto:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
didnt the windows work then, how much memory have you got

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Glad you like it Jim. You went the right way too, in my opinion a "clean install" is always better than "ugrading" :thumb:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Windows 7 Professional £30.00 for Students on MS website :thumb:

Link Removed

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
think you misread Ray... yes, it works a treat thanks :thumb:
Sorry Jim senior moment,,,,,first one lol, I've got MS Office either standard or professional if you or any body wants to borrow,:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back