LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
A Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology.

Have I made the right choice?

Any suggestions re 'free' books I should download?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Right choice, Dave.
Loads of free (legit) downloads available, even from Amazon.
Books out of copyright tend to be free on there.
I've spent 76pence on a book since Xmas.
Sundance recommended obooko (legit free downloads, free to register).
Good site.
Wouldnt be without mine, brill bit of kit.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Too busy to read any books yet but seems a good bit of kit. 3G & wifi works OK and have downloaded a dozen free books off Amazon to start with.

If you don't already have an Amazon account, it is worth opening one as you can download any books with just "one click". They have hundreds of free books and thousands at less than a pounds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its a great bit of kit, there are free books everywhere, but even on Amazon there are thousands free or for 99cents.

And it just occurred to me as I type that Funster kindlers could make good use of the Loan Feature that allows book owners to loan to other kindle owners (infact you don't really need a kindle) and set up a book loan club.

Someone asks for a book and if you have a copy you lend it to them, I think the maximum loan period is 2 weeks. A quick search shows me others are taking advantage of this too:thumb:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/feb/16/new-sites-kindle-lendle

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I resisted until last January before buying the Kindle but wouldn't be without it now. Great bit of kit, especially for use in the van - much less bulky/heavy than conventional books. Not just Kindle though, Jill likes her Samsung E65 just as much.

Diesel and Smashwords are a couple of other sites where free and cheap books can be downloaded. For classics, Project Gutenberg probably has the biggest range.

With non-Amazon sites you often find that the book is not in a Kindle format but (unless it is rights protected) the file can be converted using Calibre (free software).

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think the kindle lacks marketing, as far as I was concerned until I seen people posting on here about it having 3g it was an electronic book reader, and I have the Kindle app on my Android.

So what else does it do??

Think I'll go have a browse :)

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I think its the free 3G that swung it,,,, Can be of use when abroad,,, We have mifi, repeatit, so now we have option no3....

As always

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So what else does it do??

Nothing well.

It has a browser but without proper cursor control or touch screen it's a total pain in the bum to use.

It has MP3 playback, again poorly implemented.

But as a book reader, unbeatable.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nothing well.

It has a browser but without proper cursor control or touch screen it's a total pain in the bum to use.

It has MP3 playback, again poorly implemented.

But as a book reader, unbeatable.

Absolutely right. And one feature which it has over any Android tablet (as I know you'll agree, Brian) is that it can be read in sunlight.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The biggest problem with the Kindle is its tooooooooooooo damm easy to download books :Sad: I go on Amazon, see a book I fancy and press buy without even thinking about it. Its costing me a fortune. Spent all of £3.96 in their book sale yesterday. :whatthe: 4 books at 99p each. ::bigsmile:

Ian

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
im thick :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: can you use it for skype as its got wifi and 3 g :ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The internet side of things is a clunky and slow for anything apart from buying books but you dont really neeed to do that.

I heard a rumour that you can buy buy 4000 books burnt onto dvd on ebay.
Including all the latest stuff.

So yes you did buy the right thing.......brilliant.

You just need the books now.

Try using a free programme called calibre on your computer very clever library and file converter prog with demos on youtube.

barry

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Kindle is a brilliant book reader. The browser is clunky and slow but works, which means you can get free e-mail pretty much anywhere in the world. Wonder when Amazon will stop it!

A very friendly man in a motorhome gave me approx 3000 electronic books, on a site at El Rocio, earlier in the year, so I am very slowly working through these!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The internet side of things is a clunky and slow for anything apart from buying books but you dont really neeed to do that.

I heard a rumour that you can buy buy 4000 books burnt onto dvd on ebay.
Including all the latest stuff.

barry

Don't buy it... PM me first...

JJ :Cool:

PS. The Kindle is not really for surfing the net... bit slow for that... but in an emergency I was able to purchase channel tunnel tickets using the Kindle... took some doing but I did it!

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Motorola Xoom, dont need laptop anymore...

Sat Nav
Music Player
Movies
email
Internet
Kindle app
HD video Camera(unlike iPad)
5mp camera(unlike iPad)
word exel etc
Wifi
3G
Bluetooth
Flash Player (unlike iPad)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
many really good books are very cheap. When they are priced at a quid each it does not matter if you buy a book that you don't like.

I have my books on my kindle and on my samsung galaxy tab. the tab has a bright screen so I can read at night and the kindle is perfect in bright sunlight.

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
And it just occurred to me as I type that Funster kindlers could make good use of the Loan Feature that allows book owners to loan to other kindle owners (infact you don't really need a kindle) and set up a book loan club.
Isn't this just for owners with US Amazon (.com) accounts? I have a separate account with .com, but my Kindle is registered with amazon.co.uk, and therefore I can't loan any books out (yet).

The internet access is indeed clunky. However, when you're in the middle of the French countryside, with your lounger at full stretch, it's better than nowt :winky:

I've got squillions of 'free' ebooks :winky: on my computer, but I still buy the things. Spent two lots of 86p this very afternoon :cry:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Why do a lot of people think the Kindle has to do anything else, it's an e book reader, and does this perfectly. If you want to browse, use something else. I've had a kindle for over a year and now could not be without it, especially when traveling around.

Rgds
Bill

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
my daughter gave me a demo of an audio book played on the kindle today
and very impressive it was too..........with the speakers or with headphones.

barry

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Why do a lot of people think the Kindle has to do anything else, it's an e book reader, and does this perfectly. If you want to browse, use something else. I've had a kindle for over a year and now could not be without it, especially when traveling around.

Rgds
Bill

Because why buy a kindle if you already have a kindle reader app.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Having lost a daughter and husband to Kindle reading, I decided if you can't beat them-join them and had one for my birthday this year. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit.::bigsmile:

Do you put calibre on the kindle or your laptop? I'm not technical so any help gratefully received.:winky:

I felt very pleased to manage to download 41 books but wow 3000! Where did you find this
lot?
Lucille

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Because why buy a kindle if you already have a kindle reader app.

Because my lappy won't fit in my pocket
Because my lappy doesn't go two weeks without charging
Because my lappy can't be read in the sun
Because my lappy is difficult to read in bed/bath :ROFLMAO:
Because my lappy cost £399 without free 3G

Must hundreds of other reasons. ::bigsmile:

Calibre goes on your computor.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!