Free Member
Aug 5, 2011
Calne
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
what would be a suitable battery bank power setup to be off grid for 5/6 days with reasonable power usage,could you do it with no solar.,and just carry a small generator.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
what would be a suitable battery bank power setup to be off grid for 5/6 days with reasonable power usage,could you do it with no solar.,and just carry a small generator.
yes:thumb:a very small 12v genny would be ideal:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
a frugal camper could make one 85ah battery last two weeks.. maybe more.. another would kill it in a day or two

so first, you need to define 'reasonable' One man's reasonable is another's extravagance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a frugal camper could make one 85ah battery last two weeks.. maybe more.. another would kill it in a day or two

so first, you need to define 'reasonable' One man's reasonable is another's extravagance.

Indeed we just had 4 nights at Silverstone and hardly discharged an 85Ah battery with no charging at all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Indeed we just had 4 nights at Silverstone and hardly discharged an 85Ah battery with no charging at all.

Absolutely agree Brian ..

donkeys years ago as a tugger we had no leisure battery.. we ran everything off the car battery .. when I say everything ,.. just a submersible pump and a couple of fluorescent lights ..
as time went on we had a small b/w TV .. still no need of an extra battery .. a trip out in the car every few days was all that was needed to keep it topped up..

In my last euro camper I had one 85ah battery .. I could make it last for ever, as Terry mentioned in another thread.. a quick nip out to the shops and back was plenty to keep it topped up..

I do appreciate the need for a bit more if you are charging cameras, phones etc .. but still don't see the need for whacking great battery banks, solar panels and gennies .. it seems we have gone way over the top with on board power hungry kit..

life away from the post code should be slower and simpler .. otherwise why go ? .. it's all about relaxing .. not watching a 24" plasma TV and playing with your Wii ..

last year we had three weeks tenting.. no leccy, no TV, no lappy , it was heaven.. just sit and read a book until it's too dark to read.. then put on a camp fire.. that is camping.. not glamping

kiss ..

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A week at Glastonbury Festival this year (no ehu), normal car battery powering lights, water pump and charging 4 phones, was still loads left in it when we were leaving.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, it depends on if you are driving from place to place or just staying put. we did 24 days in france on 1 85 anp battery as engine charges while driving, we also have done about 5 / 6 days stationary on the same battery once, but as from my name suggests I hate staying anywhere longer than a couple of days so only tried 6 days once !!!. Terry

OP
OP
D

dabber

Free Member
Aug 5, 2011
Calne
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
thanks for the replys electric use will be led lights and a few hours of tv or cd.cooker,fridge,waterheater on gas.sounds like one 110amp should be ok then,could be 3 days without moving though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks for the replys electric use will be led lights and a few hours of tv or cd.cooker,fridge,waterheater on gas.sounds like one 110amp should be ok then,could be 3 days without moving though.

Yes, I would agree...

one of the heaviest users is the blown air heating fan.. not a problem in summer but come winter an electric hook up becomes a real bonus if staying for more than a couple of days.

in the 'good old days' we had catalytic or a gas convector heaters .. didn't use leccy ... that's progress ... :RollEyes:

enjoy your van and good luck

jim

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Time of year makes a huge difference. We have 2 x 110 Ah batteries and can last more than five days in summer with no problem. In deep winter with temperatures below freezing, we can run out on the third night.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

As long as it's not a 42" plasma TV you've no problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back