Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Well, that's it, enough is enough, it's time to go.....

After getting home from work on Thursday, I went and picked up the van from the storage warehouse this morning. The guy who owns the warehouse had the van outside. he was just finishing rinsing it off. He said as it had got a bit dusty he thought he should give it a clean, he had even used a traffic film remover and got rid of all the bugs which I failed to remove before I stored it due to lack of time last leave...

So nice one George, I owe you a pint...

So with one less job to do, I will start to prepare the van, check the gas, top up batteries, flush the water tank etc etc......

Tuesday drive down to Dover, may try Marine Parade for the first time, as we have a crossing the following morning to Dunkirk....

After that, 3 weeks trying to avoid all those rude French people that others on this forum have told us about...:Doh:

The only planned part of the trip is 6 days at Benodet, our friends are working there on the Port de Palisance campsite, looking after static holiday vans for a small British company The site looks great for the boys, large indoor and outdoor pool complex, adventure trails and zip lines in the woods, should be fun.

Apart from that it's follow the bonnet of the van and see where it takes us...Just hope the sun will shine at least once or twice and the rain will stay away...

.....and we look forward to many encounters with those rude and arrogant locals....:winky:

Anyone else heading this way in the next 3 weeks? .....

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Bon journey. (There I go again bursting out with French. It's almost second nature to me now.) Pardon :Blush:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Enjoy your trip and I bet I dare offer you a pound for every genuine rude French person you encounter.

In seven weeks in Spring we never found one:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hoping you really have a ball:yeah::yeah:

Leave us to riot and protest:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keep us updated if you can:winky:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

After getting home from work on Thursday, I went and picked up the van from the storage warehouse this morning. The guy who owns the warehouse had the van outside. he was just finishing rinsing it off. He said as it had got a bit dusty he thought he should give it a clean, he had even used a traffic film remover and got rid of all the bugs which I failed to remove before I stored it due to lack of time last leave...

So with one less job to do, I will start to prepare the van, check the gas, top up batteries, flush the water tank etc etc......

Tuesday drive down to Dover, may try Marine Parade for the first time, as we have a crossing the following morning to Dunkirk....

After that, 3 weeks trying to avoid all those rude French people that others on this forum have told us about...:Doh:

The only planned part of the trip is 6 days at Benodet, our friends are working there on the Port de Palisance campsite, looking after static holiday vans for a small British company The site looks great for the boys, large indoor and outdoor pool complex, adventure trails and zip lines in the woods, should be fun.

Apart from that it's follow the bonnet of the van and see where it takes us...Just hope the sun will shine at least once or twice and the rain will stay away...

.....and we look forward to many encounters with those rude and arrogant locals....:winky:

Do me favour, if you use the Marina Parade, send a report back as to any parking problems and were the parking was not happening, Thanks.

Doug...

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years

Prehaps things have changed, but I love the French, on travels in France they have always made me feel more than welcome:Smile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, We have found it better to get evening crossing to dunkirk, then pull in to Norfolkline car park by ticket office for the night then we feel fresh for start of hols in the morn, and the same on way back we end up late at ferry term and sleep, then get early am ferry back home. Sorry forgot to say have a great holiday , and safe travels! Terry

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks everyone,

On the first night, and probably on the last night on the way back, we will stop here....

http://www.campinglachaumiere.com/

Guy the "grumpy campsite owner" is entertainment in himself. He drives around the site in his noisy environmentally unfriendly mini tractor and I could understand those who find him a bit rude. But that is part of the charm here.... He is grumpy with the locals, with everyone..... He is just a grumpy old man who many of us can empathise with....:Blush: But at the bar for a beer....:thumb:

And as for the food.... to die for.....:thumb:

Not to mention all of their menu, simply the best chips ever......:thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi, We have found it better to get evening crossing to dunkirk, then pull in to Norfolkline car park by ticket office for the night then we feel fresh for start of hols in the morn, and the same on way back we end up late at ferry term and sleep, then get early am ferry back home. Sorry forgot to say have a great holiday , and safe travels! Terry

That's exactly what we do, and a bonus is that if you are traveling up from the deep south going home, or the length of the UK going out it gives a time buffer in case of travel problems if you arrive the night before the sailing.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back