Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi,

I am just registered to this great site today. I'm living in Ireland and looking to buy a motor home.

I am married with 3 young kids from 2 to 6 years. I have always dreamed about owing a motor home and I'm now actively looking at buying this winter.

I have a real liking towards the old Hymers - 700s etc but I am very open minded.

My budget is around €15kish and i would love anybody's suggestions on what i should consider.

2 Adults
3 Kids

Regards

Kevin

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome to fun
what ever you decide on make sure it has enough seatbelts for everyone and they should be forward/rearward facing not sideways

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun.

Choice of motorhome is individual but have a good look round.

Jim our ringleader has a good buyers check guide well worth having

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

betty swallux

Free Member
Nov 5, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Cannot go wrong with the old "S" Hymers, Mercedes and bomb proof.
We have the S560 and it never has let us down, Turning circle of a 3 wheeler, Naturally aspirated 2.9 diesel engine with a manual box, "first gear it will climb everest", 25mpg :thumb::thumb:
The S700 was the top of the range, fixed rear bed and bar version is what we would like, but parking will not permit.

Mick

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

Make sure you take your time and get the van that is rightt for you, as you will be stuck with it for years to come. Think about what your going to use it for if its mainly in the uk and Ireland then you will spend a lot of time indoors during winter months, so make sure there is enough room for you all to sit and do what ever you do like watch T.V or plays games. If your going to use it mainly in the sun so abroad then you will be sitting outside a lot more just something for you to think about.

Go to shows and dealers and look on ebay until you are sure you have found the correct layout also think if you plan to keep it for 5 or 6 years how big the kids will be so make sure beds are big enough.

Cheers Gerry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

filofax

Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Cannot go wrong with the old "S" Hymers, Mercedes and bomb proof.
We have the S560 and it never has let us down, Turning circle of a 3 wheeler, Naturally aspirated 2.9 diesel engine with a manual box, "first gear it will climb everest", 25mpg :thumb::thumb:
The S700 was the top of the range, fixed rear bed and bar version is what we would like, but parking will not permit.

Mick

Hi Mick,

What years would you recommend for the old hymers? Do i need to do a test if i go for the bigger motor homes?

Thanks

Kevin:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

filofax

Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

Make sure you take your time and get the van that is rightt for you, as you will be stuck with it for years to come. Think about what your going to use it for if its mainly in the uk and Ireland then you will spend a lot of time indoors during winter months, so make sure there is enough room for you all to sit and do what ever you do like watch T.V or plays games. If your going to use it mainly in the sun so abroad then you will be sitting outside a lot more just something for you to think about.

Go to shows and dealers and look on ebay until you are sure you have found the correct layout also think if you plan to keep it for 5 or 6 years how big the kids will be so make sure beds are big enough.

Cheers Gerry

Thanks Gerry... That is really good advice. You are right I will be spending the majority of the time in Ireland and UK.

Kevin

Upvote 0

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi Kevin and welcome :welcomefunster:
as everybody else has said have a good look around dealers Ebay etc. and you will know what layout will suite you and your family. When you find the van that you think is for you post a link on here and some one will have the pros and cons,
Remember to think of where you will keep it, will it fit on your drive ?

All the best
Rob :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

filofax

Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi Rob,

I have a cousins hayshed where i can store it. Not a problem. Just need to the find the right motor!

Is it better to wait and buy during the winter months?

Upvote 0

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Time of year is not important just wait to find the right motor we spend 6 months looking for ours after looking at web sites and visiting dealers. when we found our van we both new it was what we wanted.
Storing in a hay barn may be risky as I have heard that mice love to sleep in motor homes.

Rob

Upvote 0

betty swallux

Free Member
Nov 5, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Mick,

What years would you recommend for the old hymers? Do i need to do a test if i go for the bigger motor homes?

Thanks

Kevin:thumb:

Hello Kevin

My preference is for 1992 on and Mercedes, but no doubt people who have older models could give you some glowing reports of theirs.
Most will say that the old hymers out-do the modern in build quality

As the other posters say have a really good look at the layout to make sure it will fit the bill, not for just the near future but as the family grows, a test is always adviseable on the big ones to make sure the handling characteristics suit.
The S700 is basically the S550 with an extra 6ft on the end with twin wheel back axle, most are LHD and are imports, the engines will literally go on forever, looked after they will give 500,000km quite easily, the rear bed is roughly super king in size, the pull down over-cab bed is both big and very comfortable and whilst down in sleep mode acts as security to prevent entry via the front windows (if we leave the van parked for any length of time this is always down)
The captains chairs are really comfortable and driving is a pleasure and stress free sat in them.
A lot of them are already fitted with Solar panels which is a big plus point, electric or manual steps, Excellent awnings, heated motorised wing mirrors on some which can be expensive (Brownhills £300+ for one)

All in all though a lovely practical bit of kit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

filofax

Free Member
Aug 8, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hymer 770s

Hi,

I am just wondering if all 770s have the same layout? I have heard that the best place to buy a second hand Hymer is in Germany. Is this the case and where should i start to look.

What would i except to pay for a 92 770s on a merc?

Thanks

Kevin

Upvote 0

betty swallux

Free Member
Nov 5, 2010
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi,

I am just wondering if all 770s have the same layout? I have heard that the best place to buy a second hand Hymer is in Germany. Is this the case and where should i start to look.

What would i except to pay for a 92 770s on a merc?

Thanks

Kevin

Hello Kevin
There are a few different layouts, the Bar version is just one of them, you could probably Google the layouts for the S700,
All S700 are Merc, I believe the "S" before the number denotes this, as previously stated the exchange rate is crap at present and hardly worth the bother of buying over there.
But a good website should you want to look for motorhomes is "Mobil.de" they have hundreds of every kind for sale throughout Europe

good luck
Mick

Upvote 0

Cumbrian_Georgie

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We looked at many layouts before coming to a decision. We decided against an A class as the ones we could afford didn't have enough 3 point seat belts.

We went to a localish dealer and drove a couple to see what engine we could live with, living in a very hilly part of the UK we needed to be be sure it was tough enough.

Buying a motorhome is one of the best things we have done, hope you have as much fun as our family.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back