Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Hi can any body help with a solution to stop my 1996 Peugeot 2l petrol auto sleeper stuttering.
To explain when driving it is fine through all gears apart from fith when engaged moves along with a stutter as soon as any acceleration is applied, it does not matter what speed it is doing when it happens.
So far the plugs and leads have been replaced and the petrol filter.
Any help would be appreciated as spending on parts not required is a pain.

Thank you Tony

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sounds like a weak mixture
I would be checking very very carefully all inlet joints and rubber pipework for splits, whilst engine is ticking over spray some carb cleaner around the manifold areas if speed picks up you have found your air leak
Dont cause a fire Keep away from heat source ie exhaust manifold
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if it runs ok in the first 4 gears i cant see how fifth can affect the engine......

sounds like a gearbox fault to me.

the only other thing i can think is if selecting fifth is somehow interfering with the ignition wiring under the dash in some way...possible poorly routed wiring being disturbed by the gear lever mechanism etc.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
...or it's there all the way through but most noticable in fifth?

Is it violent or gentle?

Fuel starvation possible, pump type issues, or air leaks around the inlet?

Fuel age, is the van used regularly, just a thought if it's been standing a while, or shorter trips, ie you haven't filled up for a good while, though we're talking months here unless you've picked up some iffy petrol?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cobmonster

cobmonster

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
...or it's there all the way through but most noticable in fifth?

Is it violent or gentle?

Fuel starvation possible, pump type issues, or air leaks around the inlet?

Fuel age, is the van used regularly, just a thought if it's been standing a while, or shorter trips, ie you haven't filled up for a good while, though we're talking months here unless you've picked up some iffy petrol?

The van is used daily and there is no hesitation through the gears and the engine is sweet as a nut and free reving which makes it seem so daft, I have had the mechanic drive the van also and it is for sure engine.
If it were air leaks would it be affected in the other gears ?

Tony

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The van is used daily and there is no hesitation through the gears and the engine is sweet as a nut and free reving which makes it seem so daft, I have had the mechanic drive the van also and it is for sure engine.
If it were air leaks would it be affected in the other gears ?

Tony

Then, I can safely say ignor me:ROFLMAO:

Sounds a right odd ball?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi can any body help with a solution to stop my 1996 Peugeot 2l petrol auto sleeper stuttering.
To explain when driving it is fine through all gears apart from fith when engaged moves along with a stutter as soon as any acceleration is applied, it does not matter what speed it is doing when it happens.
So far the plugs and leads have been replaced and the petrol filter.
Any help would be appreciated as spending on parts not required is a pain.

Thank you Tony

Tony this may/may not help. I have a Peugeot Autosleeper 2ltr petrol/ lpg and have expereinced the same thing, shuddering/misfiring in 5th gear and a alck of power on hills or inclines. As you have not mentioned lpg I am assuming you have not had a conversion which was the cause of my problem.
The garage were mystified until they tested the engine's compression and found the compression was low on no.1 cylinder; taking the head off revealed a burned out exhaust valve.
If all else fails it may be worth having the compression checked.

Hope this is not your problem as its mega bucks to fix

Good luck

Norman

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that the spring in the fuel lift pump has rusted through. I had exactly the same fault on a 1983 fiat 131. By the time you get to 5th gear and try to accelerate the float chamber is severely depleted, try to accelerate in 5th and the reduced fuel pressure leaves you with fuel starvation and a spluttering engine.

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that the spring in the fuel lift pump has rusted through. I had exactly the same fault on a 1983 fiat 131. By the time you get to 5th gear and try to accelerate the float chamber is severely depleted, try to accelerate in 5th and the reduced fuel pressure leaves you with fuel starvation and a spluttering engine.

D.
couldnt say for sure as i dont know the engine but i would think at 1996 it would be fuel injection with an electric pump

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

D.

Come on Dave call yer sen a mechanic:Doh:
Which coil on the spring
top middle or bottom:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread