Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Hi, Im collecting my 2004 Hobby 750 ELC on Saturday and have been reading stuff on here about them. The in laws have one and we are changing form caravan and 4 x 4.
We know they are a good motorhome and stabilty is good with the 3 axles - what I want to know is what does the term TAG axle refer to?
Many thanks

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From what I understand it is the term used for the extra floating axle on an artic. The 3rd axle on a motorhome is called a tag even though it isn't really.
I may be corrected on this though :Doh:

Upvote 0

rickscott

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Ellon, Aberdeenland
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
2, previous 12 caravanning
Cant offer any suggestions, but interested in the answer, as we have a burstner 747-2,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in the true sense of the word, a tag axle refers to a none driven axle trailing behind a driven axle .

if the none driven axle is in front of the driven one it is known as a 'pusher' axle.

whether it is in front or behind, it serves one purpose....extra load carrying capacity.

Upvote 0

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
The clue is in the word ......and like the other guy's have said in order to carry the extra weight without overloading the existing axle they "Tag" an extra load bearing axle on :thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
its called a tag axle because its tagged to the back, if you have two axles front and one rear its called a chinese six but dont ask me why perhaps prince phillip would know

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The 2004 should be the slightly newer front end - long clear rectangular head lights, and noticabley the file clipboard on the central dash.

These are the better design of TAG as they are a proper axle, built by the manufactuerer of the cab (be it citroen or whatever) Usually on air.

Previous models were effectively indespension units, and were a pain in the backside, not only for a harsh ride, but also come MOT time for balancing brakes, which were never sufficient on the early ones - later ones improved somewhat.

One thing to remember with the TAG - You have a phenomenal amount of load capacity ON THE VEHICLE....But this comes as a price, as the tow capacity (train weight) is so low, it may as well not have one.

Not too hot on turning circle, and air compressors need to be looked after, as they usually are located quite low down, on the right hand chassis leg meaning the do collect quite a bit of water and seize - regular cleaning in the winter months will benefit you.

Not a bad van all in, just make sure it is not an indespension rear axle - (no air)!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
The 2004 should be the slightly newer front end - long clear rectangular head lights, and noticabley the file clipboard on the central dash.

These are the better design of TAG as they are a proper axle, built by the manufactuerer of the cab (be it citroen or whatever) Usually on air.

Previous models were effectively indespension units, and were a pain in the backside, not only for a harsh ride, but also come MOT time for balancing brakes, which were never sufficient on the early ones - later ones improved somewhat.

One thing to remember with the TAG - You have a phenomenal amount of load capacity ON THE VEHICLE....But this comes as a price, as the tow capacity (train weight) is so low, it may as well not have one.

Not too hot on turning circle, and air compressors need to be looked after, as they usually are located quite low down, on the right hand chassis leg meaning the do collect quite a bit of water and seize - regular cleaning in the winter months will benefit you.

Not a bad van all in, just make sure it is not an indespension rear axle - (no air)!

Thanks for this in depth explanation. It does have the clip board as you mentioned. Not sure about the indespension rear axle though - I'll ask tomorrow when I collect it.

Not worried about the train weight as we dont intend to tow with it, having traded in the 4x4 and caravan to go for the motorhome.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
independant suspension unit.

usually a square section tube with a second, smaller square section tube within.

four rubber 'rods' are inserted between the two tubes giving a preset amount of movement.

can be a single 'handed' unit which bolts to an axle tube or an axle tube which has the smaller box built in.

the firmness and length of the rubber rods determines the amount of weight it can carry

Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Thanks John..

know what they are..

just never heard that term before .. kind of suspected that was what was being referred to, just wasn't sure

great things forums huh :thumb:

Good question I thought - I didn't know but do now. I'll see what I get tomorrow

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sorry to cause confusion! Indespension is what most people know as a small car alloy type trailer type, as shown in the picture - only on a slightly bigger scale.

If you have the clipboard, then it is the later one, with the proper axle, so will be much better. Look in the service history for brake issues/mot reporting such just to be sure.

Also check that the recall has been completed on the fuel rail, as these are weak on these and split, it was a recall item, so will be replaced by the dealer.

Check the gear knob is secure - if it moves side to side or twists, get it replaced - these will shoot off, sending knob and selecting spring off round the cab - usually whilst driving and nogotiating a corner or similar, which can be quite funny - maybe not at the time, but later it will!

Also listen for knocking noise near the door area, which is the top suspension bearing - needs the wing removed to replace these - get dealer to do it if you have knocking. (sounds like something in the side pocket rolling around)

When you check under the bonnet, have a gander at the water drain from the scuttle panel, and ensure that it has been extended and put BEHIND the gearbox - if not, then look for a flickering speedo needle as early sign of water in gearbox/failure.

Other than that all good!:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pezza

Free Member
Jul 30, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years now
Sorry to cause confusion! Indespension is what most people know as a small car alloy type trailer type, as shown in the picture - only on a slightly bigger scale.

If you have the clipboard, then it is the later one, with the proper axle, so will be much better. Look in the service history for brake issues/mot reporting such just to be sure.

Also check that the recall has been completed on the fuel rail, as these are weak on these and split, it was a recall item, so will be replaced by the dealer.

Check the gear knob is secure - if it moves side to side or twists, get it replaced - these will shoot off, sending knob and selecting spring off round the cab - usually whilst driving and nogotiating a corner or similar, which can be quite funny - maybe not at the time, but later it will!

Also listen for knocking noise near the door area, which is the top suspension bearing - needs the wing removed to replace these - get dealer to do it if you have knocking. (sounds like something in the side pocket rolling around)

When you check under the bonnet, have a gander at the water drain from the scuttle panel, and ensure that it has been extended and put BEHIND the gearbox - if not, then look for a flickering speedo needle as early sign of water in gearbox/failure.

Other than that all good!:thumb:
Thanks for all this information - really helpfull. I need to check the recall but there is plenty of paper work in there to check through. The rest of the points you mentioned all seem ok.

Really looking forward to using it now.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back