Anyone recommend an MP4 storage device? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Swift but what we want is to transfer our 500+ :Eeek: DVD's onto a storage device rather than rent new ones. We carry them all in the van at the moment but need to make space. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
OK, no problem, get a Seagate Goflex Satellite 500gb hard drive (I have recently bought one), it fits in the palm of your hand, has a 4hr or so battery life, but can be run via the mains or 12v ciggie socket and it acts as a wifi hot spot, up to 3 wifi devices can link to it at once and all watch different films. Up until yesterday it was only available to use on Apple products, iPhone / iPad e.t.c. as you downloaded an App to run it, but as of yesterday it was launched in Android. We have 2 x iPads for the kids, they use these in the boat, in the car, in the motorhome, at home and even in restaurants if we are with friends and want some peace to chat it keeps the kids happy. The iPad is great and just like a small TV, there are cables available that will connect the phones, iPads to a TV but I have not explored that yet, too busy packing for France :ROFLMAO: But if you look it up I am sure other devices will be able to lik to it soon.

I bought mine off Amazon.com (US site) as it is not launched yet in the UK, it is $199 USD plus about $35 for 2 day shipping UPS and $40 for import tax, amazon sort all this out for you at point of sale so no unexpected import duties to pay. Still a great bit of kit and yes it is ready to supply entertainment for passengers on the long drive to the South of France :thumb:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-Storage-STBF500101-Black/dp/B004Z0S7K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312405404&sr=8-1[/ame]

The future is wirelss, cloud e.t.c. don't be buying any old technology, remember icloud comes to Apple on IOS5 this Autumn and that will change the way we operate our lives for sure! :thumb:

Link Removed

P.S. the DVD's I have downloaded are about 850mb, so 500GB will get you loads of DVD's, music and pics on the goflex :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Are these commercial DVDs. In which case illegal to copy, usually copy protected (easy to remove but illegal too)

It has been mentioned in the past that its actually illegal to record a copyright TV program, so whether anyone really cares I don't know.:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Swift but what we want is to transfer our 500+ :Eeek: DVD's onto a storage device rather than rent new ones. We carry them all in the van at the moment but need to make space. :Smile:

What's wrong with a laptop and an external USB drive ?

A DVD is 5GB so 500 * 5 = 2500GB, that's one BIG HD. aka 2.5TB. 1TB hard drives are common enough.

To transfer a DVD you have to "rip" them, it takes overnight to do this, so there's 2 years work for you.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No

A DVD is 5GB so 500 * 5 = 2500GB, that's one BIG HD. aka 2.5TB. 1TB hard drives are common enough.

To transfer a DVD you have to "rip" them, it takes overnight to do this, so there's 2 years work for you.

Oh dear, more poo :RollEyes:

OK, a DVD in MP4 is 850mb ish, I know I have ripped 200 in the last few days :thumb:

I use WinX DVD Platinum, takes about 15 mins per DVD NOT OVERNIGHT :ROFLMAO: Here is the link and a special offer on at the moment :winky: http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/ You can choose which format you want to rip to, anyway read it, its all there.

WIRELESS IS THE FUTURE bear that in mind, buy old technology at your peril, READ what I have posted and make up your own mind, live in the past or live in the future and ready for what is just around the corner that your new purchase will work with :thumb: Oh! and get an iPad, maybe some deals coming up from Apple on iPad2's when the new iPad 3 is launched.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If you rip to a usb drive and then use this [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyclone-Micro-Media-player-Adaptor/dp/B003JHC92S[/ame] or this one [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xenta-HDMI-Media-Player-Upscaling/dp/B003AMKAWI/ref=pd_sim_ce_7[/ame]

to play the ripped dvd's to your telly. I bought the Xenta and it works ok unless their is still copy protection on the rip, if their is it won't play it. I don't think either has a scart, its HDMI on both.

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh dear, more poo :RollEyes:

OK, a DVD in MP4 is 850mb ish, I know I have ripped 200 in the last few days :thumb:

I use WinX DVD Platinum, takes about 15 mins per DVD NOT OVERNIGHT

Guilty as charged I'm afraid. That 15mins is mind blowing. What spec PC did it in that time ? What spec for their claimed 5 mins I wonder.

So Dame Penelope, a 500MB or 1TB USB hard drive in the £50 region will do you nicely for storage.

If you don't want to use your laptop for playback then find a media player to suit. But if your TV has PC input then using your laptop saves yet another gadget and it's obligatory power supply.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have a very cheap 15" LED TV from Asda.. Takes almost nowt in power 20watts and has a USB input... Use a free program called "freemake" to convert my DVD'S to .xvid or .avi files and store them on a small portable hard drive..
Hard drive into TV and we have hours and hours of stuff to watch..

REF Copyright and legality,,, Technically it IS ILLEGAL even to make your own copies for personal use. BUT it was on news yesterday that the law if being changed on that matter..
Even though most people have been doing it for years..

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Good of you to post what you did hilldweller :winky:

Here is the spec I am using:

Sony Vaio
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
RAM - 8GB
System type - 64-bit Operating System :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I rip mine to a usb powered 250gig drive and play them on the lappy, for a larger screen I use an HDMI cable between the computer and the 32"TV at the front, and tell the computer to output to the tv. I have an HDMI socket under the dinning table, wired direct to the TV so no snaking wires.

Wireless may be the future, but its been about since Marconi's time and we still use cable, why? Because everytime wireless gets quicker, cable goes up as well, USB3 and apples new thunderbolt, are I believe far faster than any wireless connection, its also less prone to interference.

BT are rolling out 25meg broadband over copper, that's as quick as 4G which we won't see this side of 2017, so I think to say wireless is the future may be a bit premature.::bigsmile:

Ian

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

You can reduce the size of DVDs, with some loss of quality, using something like DVD shrink.

Unless you have a very big screen you can reduce them to 1Gb still giving reasonable quality.

Another alternative that is faster is to just copy the files from the DVD to a folder on your hard drive (separate folder for each disc) and then view them direct using powerdvd or something similar. You can get a 2Tb external drive which would hold most of your collection from Maplins. A feature film takes about 15-20 mins to copy via usb which compares favourably with many hours to rip it.

This is somewhat hypothetical but I am just trying it out. I''l let you know in 15mins or so.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
OK I have just tested my idea with the Big Country and it works fine. You may need to remove the copy protection, in which case 'DVD43' is brilliant and free.

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions :Smile::Smile:

Rex is exploring the DVD43 suggestion now and we'll try putting a DVD onto the external hard drive.

Fingers crossed!! :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back