Packing for a month away (1 Viewer)

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I just don't believe it, I am trying to pack for a month away and just don't know what to take or not to take, I have packed, re packed and packed and re packed, each time I am either taking off or adding something, should I just pack and go is a week preparing too much? I am off to France and there is nothing really you can't get here there, but I have done that before and bought replacement stuff, it just goes on and on and on and on :RollEyes:

I even bough a MEGA top box, the Fiamma Ultra 3, EVEN THAT IS FILLED NOW :Eeek: How many pairs of underpants does a man need for a month?

Oh well, two more days, I guess it will all be out and in and out and in before we set off on Friday, I am trying to travel light but it doesn't seem to be happening :RollEyes:

If anyone out there is a hard nosed tight minimalistic packer then I could well do with some tips, because I need help :thumb:

We are taking two kids 9 and 2yrs plus wife, I haven't even seen their bags :Eeek:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Happy Holiday

A month in France ! Wish it were me, out in the middle of the north sea :Sad:- got another week to do, then 3 weeks off :ROFLMAO:

Downloaded The Motorhome buyers guide onto my Kindle - lots of good advice :thumb:

Hope you have a great time on Holiday !!

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
An old friend of mine used to say "Take half the clothes and twice the money"
I've never managed to follow either of these excellent tips... the latter because I've never had twice the money and the former because I've never had the sense. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The V10 Squad

Free Member
Jul 11, 2011
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Four Winds B class
Exp
Jan 2010
Month away

Have a great time, as you say you can get anything you forget, as long as you got travel docs, money,passport... im not envious of a month away
have fun:roflmto:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Just remember the pay load of your Motorhome. A lot of newer motorhomes dont take into consideration clothes and provisions plus people when building them , I'm sure. That could stop you taking what you would realy like to take anyway.
There are 5 of us , all full sized not little kids and 2 little dogs.
Fortunately our payload is quite generous. But we didnt realize it when we bought the motorhome, it was just luck. It had been up plated at manufacture. Think thats what they call it.
We go abroad for our main holidays ( fly) and use the motorhome for weekends and the odd week here and there. I couldnt pack as mush as i would for each of us when we go abroad. Apart from the fact that it wouldnt fit in , it would weigh far too much :Blush:
We went to the IOW in May had a cracking week and didnt use half of the stuff we took because it was so warm , but had taken fleeces and warmer clothes just in case.
Thats the problem with British weather. But saying that France has been wet over the past few weeks too , hasnt it .
At least if you are using sites you can wash your clothes through so you wont have to take as many.
Have a good time anyway. Think less is more.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I just don't believe it, I am trying to pack for a month away and just don't know what to take or not to take, I have packed, re packed and packed and re packed, each time I am either taking off or adding something, should I just pack and go is a week preparing too much? I am off to France and there is nothing really you can't get here there, but I have done that before and bought replacement stuff, it just goes on and on and on and on :RollEyes:
I even bough a MEGA top box, the Fiamma Ultra 3, EVEN THAT IS FILLED NOW :Eeek: How many pairs of underpants does a man need for a month?
Oh well, two more days, I guess it will all be out and in and out and in before we set off on Friday, I am trying to travel light but it doesn't seem to be happening :RollEyes:If anyone out there is a hard nosed tight minimalistic packer then I could well do with some tips, because I need help :thumb:
We are taking two kids 9 and 2yrs plus wife, I haven't even seen their bags :Eeek:
Pack your stuff into a suitcase, restrict it to 22kg then hang it up in the van. What else could you possibly need for a month away. If you were flying you would manage. Works for me:Cool:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Don't pack for a month - remember there are excellent laundrette facilities in France often at supermarkets. They are not expensive and even if you are not Franech speaking the directions are easy to follow.
Sue loads the washing machine, then goes shopping while I sit and "keep guard" whilst reading a book
A good tip given to me, though I haven't used it yet because I don't have a cool box - Take RIGID COOL BOX and 1/3 fill it with water and washing soap seal box with luggage straps, place in shower tray and the churning whilst van is on the move will ensure a clean wash.
Dry in shower room when connected to electric hook up. Laundry done.

Clothes are very expensive to buy in France as with pretty much everything else - don't buy what you don't have to

Have good trip wish I was going with you.

Norman

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for all the tips :thumb:

I am having another go today, I am very weight conscious so much so I bought a gizmo that is like a bar with a digital display, you drive over it with each wheel in turn and it calculates your weight, quite scary really when you see how every odd little thing all adds up, especially the wife :ROFLMAO:

I had the top box contents out 3 time yesterday, the Fiamma Ultr 3 is cavernous, so it now has the very light aluminium table, chairs, sideboard, wind breaks e.t.c. in it, all the bulky stuff. The Kontiki 645 is fantastic for interior space, but that is at the cost of external storage, so I think we have struck the right balance, but then again it is like a shed, you seem to fill them no matter what size they are ::bigsmile:

I am just taking a 1/4 water to see us through disneyland, then I will top up down at Lyon and then at Aix en Provence :thumb:

malpen

Free Member
Jul 18, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
france

have a great time. were off for 6 weeks in september before we are tied to school holidays. got 2 boys 2 and 4 . making our way down the coast then thinking off return ferry from spain rather than driving north in october. just remember nappies are heavy in the morning but the little kids are lighter. hope to hear how you got on. mal..

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
??????????????????????????????????

Follow the code of Jack Reacher...

He travels with a toothbrush, a passport and a credit card. That's all...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

I've added Fray Bentos pies to that list... :ROFLMAO:

Jack Reacher ! Hoo Hee ? (who is he, elucidate please !) :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Lucky your not packing to go away fulltime..

and you're correct, no matter how big the van or many top boxes you have you will fill them .. our RV was 36ft with 10 x outside belly lockers and they were all jam packed.

When we packed up to go fulltime each was allocated a personal locker space for clothes .. when it was full .. tough.. and if I had added roof boxes they would have filled them with more junk ..

A golden rule... EVERYTHING in a van must have at least TWO uses.. otherwise it is just taking up space.. and eating into precious payload.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Remember not to put too much wieght in the top box it makes the van handle differently especially on roundabouts ,tight bends etc. Have a great holiday France its the place to be, we are off for 16 days in Sept we dont take too much sweaters or cool weather clothes as one set surfices,one waterproof each other than that its shorts t.shirts etc easy to wash and get dry.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
When Jenny and myself used to go touring for a couple of weeks on the motorbike we used to use a couple of stuff sacks in the panniers for our clothes.

We by neccesity had to keep things to a minimum so we could fit it all on the bike incuding the camping gear!! We used to try to get away with no more than three tee shirts, pants, socks ect, one to wear one to wash and a spare just in case LOL. Of course it does help if you stay at naturist camp sites!!

Not quiet so bad with the motorhome but we still try to be quiet minimalist with the clothes we take, and you can guarantee even so that we bring things back unworn!!

And of course Jenny being the typical woman of our times still complain's she has nothing to wear!!

Pete

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Jack Reacher ! Hoo Hee ? (who is he, elucidate please !) :Doh:

Steve... if you like light weight, action/adventure thrillers you should check out Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.

Jack Reacher is very like me... except that he is an ex Military Policeman from the US Army...a loner and a bit of a rebel who is always getting into scrapes which usually result in him having to kill many very bad people (often bare handed.)

He rights wrongs, solves problems and usually wins the heart (and more) of at least one of the ladies in each story...

If you have a Kindle I might be able to help you learn more about him...:winky: :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back