All The Aires - How old? (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
So....planning :)Eek!:) our jaunt over the channel for early september, and was curious about the 'All the Aires' books and how accurate a 3year old one would be...any one got any thoughts or experience with this?

Ive got upto date POIs for Autoroute and Co pilot, but we like to have a read about them before actually turning up...

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
So....planning :)Eek!:) our jaunt over the channel for early september, and was curious about the 'All the Aires' books and how accurate a 3year old one would be...any one got any thoughts or experience with this?

Ive got upto date POIs for Autoroute and Co pilot, but we like to have a read about them before actually turning up...

Hi Daryl n Claire
We went to Switzerland last Ausust, tried to find an aire in Metz on the way, found the swimming baths as stated in the book, map coordinates the lot, ok, NO aire never has been according to the reception desk at the baths, so moved on and found one down the road a bit, so older books will be out of date, but mostly will stay the same. enjoy your selves there are some good sited aires out there. Pete :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Think Peter's right.
We have the first edition. We used it the first year, It then became known as
"some of the aires in france book"

There were shed loads missing, I then as requested sent 4 or 5 I know in and did not even get the decency of a response for my efforts (pics as well) so was not very pleased.

oddly enough, Nikki and I were talking on our way back and talking about the book. My thoughts are that we as Motorhome funsters should do our own. Perhaps if Jim had a hot thread sticky that people could put a photo on, descirptions and directions it would not take long to have quite a good list. It could be accessed whilst we are away or made in an easy print format for printing off before we all go. That way it would be continually updated and most importantly a not for profit idea unlike I presume the vicarious books one. I do admire them for trying though and can't comment on the latest book but dont want to pay when I have willingly given information for free.

We also find the French version much better, especially with a Iphone translator app and our little bit of spoken French.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi Daryl n Claire
We went to Switzerland last Ausust, tried to find an aire in Metz on the way, found the swimming baths as stated in the book, map coordinates the lot, ok, NO aire never has been according to the reception desk at the baths, so moved on and found one down the road a bit, so older books will be out of date, but mostly will stay the same. enjoy your selves there are some good sited aires out there. Pete :thumb:

Aire is definitely there in Metz, we stayed there in June this year. Free as well :thumb:

But the book is always going to be out of date as soon as it is printed I would think. We used our old one this year, and one of the aires was closed down, but it only took 20 minutes to find another - you don't have to look too hard for them

david

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We always use the official book, it comes out every year, it has a few adverts and write ups in French, but the the site guide is easily read even if you don't understand a word of French.

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Daryl n Claire
We went to Switzerland last Ausust, tried to find an aire in Metz on the way, found the swimming baths as stated in the book, map coordinates the lot, ok, NO aire never has been according to the reception desk at the baths

Last year we drove past the aire and camped on the municipal site next to it, all of 100 yards from the baths.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Aire is definitely there in Metz, we stayed there in June this year. Free as well :thumb:

But the book is always going to be out of date as soon as it is printed I would think. We used our old one this year, and one of the aires was closed down, but it only took 20 minutes to find another - you don't have to look too hard for them

david
Hi David
there was none at the Baths, but the people said there was one near the Cathedral but we moved on down the road a bit and found one on a marina by the river 8 Euros hard standing and toilet n shower block. Pete :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
For the most part it will be ok. We used the 2011 edition this year and there are errors in that.

As far as the Arie descriptions go its like reading an estate agents advert on houses.

They're misleading. So is the ACSI book. I woudnt worry though, you will find your own way around, no problem.
Jim
:Smile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I personally use website motorhoming france costs £12 a year but great write ups on each aire (again only covers SOME of the massive number of aires) includes good photos,map refs ,small map. I research the area i.e. loire then print off each in that area to take with me. We are off to loire sept 18 days.
Have a good trip what ever you info you choose. Terry

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have been using Vicarious books 2nd edition of 'All the Aires' for the last 2 yrs,and had no probs finding the aire in Metz which is outside the gates of the Municipal campsite.We stayed 2 nights there as Metz is worth a good look-the cathedral has a few Chagal stained glass windows- and the new Pompidou centre is well worth a visit.

Mike.

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
thanks all

Weve used it for the last few years on our twice yearly jaunts over 'there' but have mainley stayed to the main routes...this year im wanting to go to the back and beyonds and all that, the thinking being we wont go on any main routes - apart from out and back into Calais

At least thats the plan, so far weve ended up on completley the opposite side of the country to what the plan was!!::bigsmile:

As Captain Kirk should have said (or maybe he will in the future...when hes alive)...."To go where no funster has gone before...."....yeah right!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I personally use website motorhoming france costs £12 a year but great write ups on each aire (again only covers SOME of the massive number of aires) includes good photos,map refs ,small map. I research the area i.e. loire then print off each in that area to take with me. We are off to loire sept 18 days.
Have a good trip what ever you info you choose. Terry

Thats one area on the possibles list...may well see you there somewhere..were off on the 1st september for 16 days or so

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Last year we drove past the aire and camped on the municipal site next to it, all of 100 yards from the baths.

Hi Brian
I am lost now re Metz we drove up and down the road before turning into the bath's car park, we did not see any camps, aires or anything that looked like one, the guy in the reception spoke English told us there was none and never had been at the baths, pointed us towards the Cathedral, perhaps there is more than one baths the one we were at looked quite new with football courts to the right of it, but we found a good aires further down the road so it turned out ok in the end. Pete :thumb:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi . yep were off on the 4th p.m. down east of paris chamery-geraudot -briare-then along loire east to west to anger then up to chateau gontier -mayenne- villers bocage- thury harcourt- st nicholas du bliquetuit back to dunkirk 20th. terry

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi Brian
I am lost now re Metz we drove up and down the road before turning into the bath's car park, we did not see any camps, aires or anything that looked like one, the guy in the reception spoke English told us there was none and never had been at the baths, pointed us towards the Cathedral, perhaps there is more than one baths the one we were at looked quite new with football courts to the right of it, but we found a good aires further down the road so it turned out ok in the end. Pete :thumb:

on one side of those football pitches is the town, and the road up to the cathedral and restaurant area. On the other side there is a grassy bank down to a car park and then the river. You can use the car park in the weekend, the aire is at the far end of the car park up against the fence to the municipal. To get to it, come out of the baths car park and turn right on to the main road, then right and right before the bridge over the river. It is signposted.

you can see it very clearly on google earth 49°07'25.73" N 6°10'08.77" E

David

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Perhaps if Jim had a hot thread sticky that people could put a photo on, descirptions and directions it would not take long to have quite a good list. It could be accessed whilst we are away or made in an easy print format for printing off before we all go. That way it would be continually updated and most importantly a not for profit idea unlike I presume the vicarious books one..

It's a good idea Paul .. but why reinvent the wheel.. ?

This is exactly what campingcar infos is .. a non profit making site, kept up today by the members..

Probably the most up to date and comprehensive list of aires available .. you can download the POIs for sat nav FREE, they also sell a memory stick for €15 with the same info as the site.

Members also do reviews on the aires .. not just the French, but also German, Dutch and British members.

It's free to join.. :thumb:

If you really want a book I would buy the one sold by Jim .. not just to support Fun but the French publication is IMO the best by far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back