Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
The official word is that flashing your lights is intended as a warning. Reality in UK means that despite the official position flashing another driver means "I have seen you and I am happy to give way".

It becomes very obvious in Europe that flashing your lights means "back off".

This got to me wondering what signal foreigners use to imply that they will give way. Then it dawned on me, they don't need such a signal.... none of them have ever given way.

While I am in bitch mode, wouldn't it be nice if the French drivers would indicate which exit they intend to take at roundabouts. Traffic would flow much more easily if I didn't have to wait for it to become obvious before entering the junction.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Agree with you 100% about the roundabouts. Drives me potty and exiting from Auchan at Perigueux is a nightmare. I often wonder if Stevie Wonder moonlights as a street planner here.
As for giving way, I often wave people across etc...and get some very surprised looks.
At junctions, pulling out from the minor road to the major the vehicle going straight across seems to have priority over one turning onto the major road, which seems to be the opposite of the UK. Not sure if that is official or not though.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
While I am in bitch mode, wouldn't it be nice if the French drivers would indicate which exit they intend to take at roundabouts. Traffic would flow much more easily if I didn't have to wait for it to become obvious before entering the junction.

sorry mate, that aint exclusive to the French its a new breed, a breed which says I know where im going so Fook you !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The official word is that flashing your lights is intended as a warning. Reality in UK means that despite the official position flashing another driver means "I have seen you and I am happy to give way".

Not being a mind reader and having seen lights flashed as both greeting and warning on many occasions I never assume that it means "I have seen you and I am happy to give way".

As somebody told me once, all that you can positively say when you see lights flashed is that the bulbs work at that instant.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have to say that,generally , and speaking as I find,the majority of French drivers are more considerate and courteous than british drivers.
My biggest criticism is that they do tend to sit behind for a very long time before overtaking.

Mike.

Havewheelswilltravel

Free Member
Feb 25, 2011
Farnham
Funster No
MH
American RV A class
Exp
God 1st a Bedford when the wheel was invented
I agree with your comments have spent many months touring around Europe and have some very surprised faces when you allow them to cross and seems you have to wave like mad to get them to cross think they think I was going to run them over when on a crossing as if .
What we have to remember is that alot of European countries have priority from the right which could even mean onto a main road or roundabout and a friend of ours was driving in Germany and a car pulled straight our in front of them and they hit them , police said the car had right of way it was a shed by all accounts he got a newer car from it and my friend ended up with a heavy fine and the German court put points on his uk licence so be warned.

Alan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not being a mind reader and having seen lights flashed as both greeting and warning on many occasions I never assume that it means "I have seen you and I am happy to give way".

As somebody told me once, all that you can positively say when you see lights flashed is that the bulbs work at that instant.

100% agree.. when I see someone flash headlights I think ..' plonker' .. and ignore them.

highway code has this to say

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

which to my way of thinking is poor advice... as already said it can be interpreted in two different ways.. so I would ban flashing of headlights on the public highway.. end of story.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
At junctions, pulling out from the minor road to the major the vehicle going straight across seems to have priority over one turning onto the major road, which seems to be the opposite of the UK. Not sure if that is official or not though.

Even in the UK the vehicle going straight across the main carriageway has priority if you are attempting to turn across their path onto the main carriageway at a crossroads.

Also as a matter of interest in most of Europe, where there are no signs or markings to indicate priority at a junction, you must give way to the right.

Pete:Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
which to my way of thinking is poor advice... as already said it can be interpreted in two different ways.. so I would ban flashing of headlights on the public highway.. end of story.

I think the reason behind the Highway Code advice is that a visual warning can help where an audible warning might not be heard.

The only reason that it is interpreted in any way other than the Highway Code advice is that some people choose to ignore what the Code says and use their lights wrongly.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think the reason behind the Highway Code advice is that a visual warning can help where an audible warning might not be heard.

The only reason that it is interpreted in any way other than the Highway Code advice is that some people choose to ignore what the Code says and use their lights wrongly.

true ..

but how many read the highway code after they pass the test, let alone obey it..

anyone who thinks they know it should test themselves with the on line theory test.. you get two go's free.. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017669

then post the results .. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
true ..

but how many read the highway code after they pass the test, let alone obey it..

anyone who thinks they know it should test themselves with the on line theory test.. you get two go's free.. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017669

then post the results .. :winky:
That would be interesting to see. Might have a go when I have time :Smile:

But - as my law lecturer always said, ignorance of the law is no defence :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
44 on test 1, 43 on test 2, however that time I reviewed my answers and I certainly found one where I'd ticked a different box to the one I intended. So I'm only just OK.

There were a number I knew I definitely didn't actually know for a fact - one about Toucan crossings, a couple about white lines along the side and was the speed limit compulsory or advisory. To me that doesn't matter, they've put the sign up for a purpose so being a cautious soul I'd opt to obey the limit anyway, in case it was compulsory!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back