High Tech, Green, Electric Camper Van (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
nao-ecco-electric-camper-van_100355469_m.jpg

Going straight onto All Car Tech's list of things we want is a new electric camper van by design collective NAU, known as Ecco.

Describing it as a camper van almost doesn't do it justice, though. The teardropped vehicle is more like a Transformer, changing from efficient and spacious vehicle into a sail-like home with space for five, revealing beds and even a toilet.

Adhering to the camping ethos of "leave only footprints, take nothing but pictures" the Ecco is a zero-local-emissions vehicle that aims to be both economical as a vehicle and efficient as a micro home. Constructed from lightweight aluminum and augmented with solar panels, the streamlined shape can transform by opening upwards to increase space and reveals transparent panels to improve your view.

If there's no light for the solar panels then you can recharge the onboard battery and power your camping gear via a 240V socket.

At eight feet wide, sixteen feet long and six feet tall when on the move it's around half a foot shorter, 1.5 feet wider and a little lower than a 2011 Ford Flex, making it quite a streamlined machine. NAU's images compare it with the classic Volkswagen Bus - it's quite a bit wider, but in profile, much more sleek.

There's no word on price yet but we think it looks fantastic. If it has enough range to make the typical camping trip a reality, we'd love to see it on the road.

http://www.allcartech.com/news/1062884_whats-that-ecco-high-tech-green-electric-camper-van

http://www.archdaily.com/137475/ecco-nau/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20ArchDaily%20%28Arch%20Daily%29&utm_content=Google%20Reader

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
They have not done their homework and research.

All that glass up front! The world needs to be protected from us motorhome users, I like to have my stomach, shorts and crocs well hidden from view when I am driving.

I do not want to cause an accident by causing other drivers to be distracted whilst rolling around in laughter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's a seriously good idea. In the future, use of motorhomes (and even cars for that matter) burning ever scarcer fossil fuels, may become unachievable.

A motorhome spends most of its time stationary and so solar power could be a practical proposition.

I like the idea of being able to tour long term without paying anything for fuel.:Smile:

Of course the design means you would always have to park facing south which could be a bad idea as most of the windows are also on that side, a call for good reflective blinds I think.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Of course the design means you would always have to park facing south which could be a bad idea as most of the windows are also on that side, [HI]a call for good reflective blinds I think.[/HI]

Or.. solar blinds ... :thumb:

come to think of it.. has no one marketed thermal screens that are also solar generators ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
come to think of it.. has no one marketed thermal screens that are also solar generators ?

you could be onto something there Jim as they do flexible panels for backpacks etc.
so what if you only get 20 watts per window/ roof light.
i have 10 in total excluding the cab so thats 200 watts of solar charge. :thumb:
but then id be sat in the dark:Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you could be onto something there Jim as they do flexible panels for backpacks etc.
so what if you only get 20 watts per window/ roof light.
i have 10 in total excluding the cab so thats 200 watts of solar charge. :thumb:
but then id be sat in the dark:Doh:

I was thinking more about the front screen .. that must be at least 120watt .. using an existing thermal screen it should be straightforward to sew a flexible solar panel to it..

but as you suggest, no reason you couldn't replace the existing thermal blinds with solar ones on all windows..

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Malicious site

I tried to find out more about this, as I am interested in the design. However, Googling on design collective NAU, which I believe is at Northern Arizona Uni, produced Norton warning that it was a malicious site. Where did you find the info Jim?

nao-ecco-electric-camper-van_100355469_m.jpg

Going straight onto All Car Tech's list of things we want is a new electric camper van by design collective NAU, known as Ecco.

Describing it as a camper van almost doesn't do it justice, though. The teardropped vehicle is more like a Transformer, changing from efficient and spacious vehicle into a sail-like home with space for five, revealing beds and even a toilet.

Adhering to the camping ethos of "leave only footprints, take nothing but pictures" the Ecco is a zero-local-emissions vehicle that aims to be both economical as a vehicle and efficient as a micro home. Constructed from lightweight aluminum and augmented with solar panels, the streamlined shape can transform by opening upwards to increase space and reveals transparent panels to improve your view.

If there's no light for the solar panels then you can recharge the onboard battery and power your camping gear via a 240V socket.

At eight feet wide, sixteen feet long and six feet tall when on the move it's around half a foot shorter, 1.5 feet wider and a little lower than a 2011 Ford Flex, making it quite a streamlined machine. NAU's images compare it with the classic Volkswagen Bus - it's quite a bit wider, but in profile, much more sleek.

There's no word on price yet but we think it looks fantastic. If it has enough range to make the typical camping trip a reality, we'd love to see it on the road.

http://www.allcartech.com/news/1062884_whats-that-ecco-high-tech-green-electric-camper-van

http://www.archdaily.com/137475/ecco-nau/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20ArchDaily%20%28Arch%20Daily%29&utm_content=Google%20Reader

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I tried to find out more about this, as I am interested in the design. However, Googling on design collective NAU, which I believe is at Northern Arizona Uni, produced Norton warning that it was a malicious site. Where did you find the info Jim?

links are at the bottom of news item

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back