Propane explosion badly burns man.. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A couple of days ago we were discussing Gas BBQs .. this one explodes and engulfs a camp site .. a salutary reminder that LPG can be lethal .. watch the video ... !

Updated: Sat Jul. 30 2011 16:51:09

ctvcalgary.canada

A 34 year old Carstairs man is in Foothills Hospital with severe burns after a propane explosion at a Water Valley campground.

It's still not clear what caused the explosion which left the man with burns covering more than half of his body.

Amateur video showed the propane explosion, creating a fireball that consumed the entire campsite including an RV.

Read more : http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110730/CGY_motorhome_explosion_110730/20110730/?hub=CalgaryHome

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
I have taken the gas out the Granvan and the next one on order will only have a microwave with grill in. At the moment we will carry a JML halogen oven. Of course one has to bear in mind that we will only use the odd campsite with mains hookup and carry hotwater\tea\coffee prepared in flasks and spend on the oldd night on our way to a mobile home or hotel.

I have thought of an inverter and have read loads about it on here and on the other side and am still non the wiser. I have also considered not the microwave but a diesel cooker from Wesbasco ???

Supposing I had a 800 watt microwave which I assume may need 1600watts to kick off, what is the minimum leisure battery size I would need and anything else to go with it.

On Porky I had two gaslo s installed and we were travelling when we heard hissing and I assumed it was a tyre. But we could not stop as we were in road works with single lane and traffic lights. So we carried on and as the steering was not affected I thought it must be some other vehicle outside. When we arrived at our camp site we could still hear hissing and on inspecition, all my two bottles of gas were leaking. The gas was off but when I went to tell the missus the problem, she was boiling a kettle on the gas even though it was turned off. I called for a clean pair of pants to be dug out. I phoned up Chelston who fitted them and they advised me to let the gas escape while not allowing any naked lights anywhere near and engine off and key out of ignition.

We were on our way home so we ate out so to speak and then the main man from Gaslo arrived at home and fitted the newer versions of the tanks telling me it was caused by a known manufacturing fault one these older models. Service and response was excellent but when Porky went to market at Johns Cross we decided to be gas free even extending to changing our gas cooker for a really expensive but crap electric one.

Now I shall be worried about whom I park next too on a campsite. :Eeek:

We still have gas central heating but in essence most of us are driving around with a bomb in our van and one in the house too. We live by percentages of risk.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As far as I am aware , North American barbies run on unregulated propane .. this being the case, the amount and speed of gas escaping would be considerably higher than from a regulated supply .. and once ignited ... :Eeek: I've always thought this was a dangerous design.. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
I think you are right. I also think my wife boiling a kettle while two cylinders of gas expel into the air around the van is also a dangerous sign not to mention driving down the road with it pouring out. One fag and.. Goodnight Irene. :cry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have taken the gas out the Granvan and the next one on order will only have a microwave with grill in. At the moment we will carry a JML halogen oven. Of course one has to bear in mind that we will only use the odd campsite with mains hookup and carry hotwater\tea\coffee prepared in flasks and spend on the oldd night on our way to a mobile home or hotel.

I have thought of an inverter and have read loads about it on here and on the other side and am still non the wiser. I have also considered not the microwave but a diesel cooker from Wesbasco ???

Supposing I had a 800 watt microwave which I assume may need 1600watts to kick off, what is the minimum leisure battery size I would need and anything else to go with it.

On Porky I had two gaslo s installed and we were travelling when we heard hissing and I assumed it was a tyre. But we could not stop as we were in road works with single lane and traffic lights. So we carried on and as the steering was not affected I thought it must be some other vehicle outside. When we arrived at our camp site we could still hear hissing and on inspecition, all my two bottles of gas were leaking. The gas was off but when I went to tell the missus the problem, she was boiling a kettle on the gas even though it was turned off.[HI] I called for a clean pair of pants to be dug out. I phoned up Chelston who fitted them[/HI] and they advised me to let the gas escape while not allowing any naked lights anywhere near and engine off and key out of ignition.

We were on our way home so we ate out so to speak and then the main man from Gaslo arrived at home and fitted the newer versions of the tanks telling me it was caused by a known manufacturing fault one these older models. Service and response was excellent but when Porky went to market at Johns Cross we decided to be gas free even extending to changing our gas cooker for a really expensive but crap electric one.

Now I shall be worried about whom I park next too on a campsite. :Eeek:

We still have gas central heating but in essence most of us are driving around with a bomb in our van and one in the house too. We live by percentages of risk.

Such an indolent life, even have someone else to put your pants on :ROFLMAO:

Shouldn't there have been a recall of this 'known manufacturing fault'

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

battery capacity is measured in amp/hours i.e how many hours a 1 amp discharge would use.
so starting with the proviso that a battery should not be discharged more than 50%

State of ChargeSpecific GravityVoltage12V6V
100%............. 1.265.................. 12.7.. 6.3
75% ..............1.225 ...................12.4 ..6.2
50% ..............1.190 ...................12.2 ..6.1
25% ..............1.155 ...................12.0.. 6.0
Discharged ......1.120 ..................11.9.. 6.0

a 110 amp/hr battery has a useable store of 55amps. A 600watt microwave, (ignoring the higher startup) will consume around 50 amps in one hour.amp = watts divided by volts in this case 600/12
That is the microwave alone and leaves nothing for lights pump radio TV etc . In my mind there is no justification for a microwave in terms of economy. you use it at the expence of everything else. A battery is not a bottomless pit of power, what you take out has to be replaced.
If you have a huge battery bank and lots of solar power then maybe you could think about it. Otherwise you would have to run the engine or a generator to recharge the battery every time you used it.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I often feel that many gas accidents could be avoided with a little training/education, or even reading, and leaning the instruction manual.

Think about it, you are not allowed to drive a car without training, over simple I know there are many activities that we get up to that are potentially dangerous but there are ways to get the training, IE sailing, some kinds of flying, mountain claiming, skiing, riding a bicycle, but has anyone heard of a training course for the use of gas equipment?

Doug...

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think you are right. I also think my wife boiling a kettle while two cylinders of gas expel into the air around the van is also a dangerous sign not to mention driving down the road with it pouring out. One fag and.. Goodnight Irene. :cry:

Driving with the gas system live is dangerous and irresponsible.
There will, no doubt, be some along soon who " have always done it, never had a problem", or "quite safely roast a joint whilst driving" etc.
In an accident where escaping gas is present, the fireball size is phenomenal.
Simple procedures make the job safe.

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Such an indolent life, even have someone else to put your pants on :ROFLMAO:

Shouldn't there have been a recall of this 'known manufacturing fault'

Best of all... I have someone who takes them off. ::bigsmile: What perks do you have.? :winky:

The manufacturing was stopped and given to another company. I understand it was not gaslo fault but the company that made them. No idea if there was a recall but at the time I ended up with two spanking new ones, set up by Mr. Gaslo his self who also pointed out that Chelston, or the people they got in to install it had not done it correctly which is why my wife could cook while the gas was turned off.

But on the plus side, if we hear of anyone disappearing in a puff of smoke and they had gaslo, you can be rest assured they have the olde worlde model. :Cool:

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
You could always keep the gas and pack in smoking ::bigsmile:

I have coincidentally the same year as this happened I think. 4 years of smoke free life and I have never had so much wrong with me since. :cry:

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
battery capacity is measured in amp/hours i.e how many hours a 1 amp discharge would use.
so starting with the proviso that a battery should not be discharged more than 50%

State of ChargeSpecific GravityVoltage12V6V
100%............. 1.265.................. 12.7.. 6.3
75% ..............1.225 ...................12.4 ..6.2
50% ..............1.190 ...................12.2 ..6.1
25% ..............1.155 ...................12.0.. 6.0
Discharged ......1.120 ..................11.9.. 6.0

a 110 amp/hr battery has a useable store of 55amps. A 600watt microwave, (ignoring the higher startup) will consume around 50 amps in one hour.amp = watts divided by volts in this case 600/12
That is the microwave alone and leaves nothing for lights pump radio TV etc . In my mind there is no justification for a microwave in terms of economy. you use it at the expence of everything else. A battery is not a bottomless pit of power, what you take out has to be replaced.
If you have a huge battery bank and lots of solar power then maybe you could think about it. Otherwise you would have to run the engine or a generator to recharge the battery every time you used it.
Many thanks indeed for your advice. I may well still go for the microwave but of course, it will only be used on mains hook up which for our slight useage should do us fine paticularly as we never stop now anywhere other than a campsite with mains hookup as we are too timid. Plus I am 65 and still have managed to get through life without being raped despite taking the battery out of my rape alarm. :Sad:

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Driving with the gas system live is dangerous and irresponsible.
There will, no doubt, be some along soon who " have always done it, never had a problem", or "quite safely roast a joint whilst driving" etc.
In an accident where escaping gas is present, the fireball size is phenomenal.
Simple procedures make the job safe.

I would point out that our gas was off and always has been off even for the shortest journey. My wife is known as Ms. Health and Safety and boy do I need her around.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I rarely turn my gas off when travelling. How irresponsible am I being? :Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always turn it off. The risk of a gas pipe being fractured in an accident is low but is so simple to avoid by turning it off.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have coincidentally the same year as this happened I think. 4 years of smoke free life and I have never had so much wrong with me since. :cry:

Ah, but is that a result of giving up smoking 4 years ago or retiring from IT 4 years ago? You could be suffering the withdrawal symptoms of not having to think in binary/octal/hex &c :Smile:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I rarely turn my gas off when travelling. How irresponsible am I being? :Blush:

I always turn it off. The risk of a gas pipe being fractured in an accident is low but is so simple to avoid by turning it off.

Risk of fuel pipes rupturing is low, also...but they do.

On a scale of 1 to 10... 10

Simple thing to turn it off, Jim
Cant think of anything that relies on gas whilst travelling.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Cant think of anything that relies on gas whilst travelling.

You're right I should turn it off. :Blush:

Most RVs you see going down the road will have their gas on as most US fridges don't have a 12v option.
Every motorhome with an LPG conversion will have theirs on too:Smile:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
You're right I should turn it off. :Blush:

Most RVs you see going down the road will have their gas on as most US fridges don't have a 12v option.
Every motorhome with an LPG conversion will have theirs on too:Smile:

There will always be exceptions, Jim.

Like the LPG comment: was waiting for it from somewhere!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I too have been irresponsible every now and again and travelled with my gas on.

I have had gas faults every now and again and can always smell instantly if I have a leak into the living quarters (and that is over and above the natural aroma residing there! :Eeek:)

The last leak was located using the bubbly water method and I was staggered (and reassured) by how strong the smell was in relation to the tiny, tiny leak at a joint (now fixed of course.)

When I consider the millions of motorhomes and RVs using lpg around the world I am not too concerned with the rare reporting of an accident with the stuff... it seems to me nearly as many get hit by trains on level crossings...

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I agree with Jim's comment about RV fridges..

However.. they are designed to be used while travelling, there is no alternative . Also, while travelling in winter I've used the blown air heating.. the cab heater would never heat an RV ..

I've even left the fridge on by accident on the ferry .. and while refuelling .. :Blush:

If you want /need to travel with gas on I suggest you fit a regulator that shuts off in the event of a leak .. Google Secumotion

what I wouldn't do, is fiddle with a high pressure BBQ connection while connected directly to a bottle with the tap on .. that is plain stupid.. :Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yeh but No but - nobody can ever legislate against or avoid complete idiots.

We were astounded when tent camping in 2009 to discover the piece of pipe we were using to power the fridge had become porous. It wasn't brand new for that holiday but we hadn't had it that long (from a well-known local camping emporium who have never been known to sell duff stuff) and it had never been exposed to the elements - we used to have a touring caravan which was actually permanently sited from April to October and the pipe ran from the gas locker then underneath the van and came up in the awning. The fridge and pipe then came home where it was stored in the loft. pete had shortened it to use when camping, we kept some and eldest had the rest.

On the campsite the bottle and pipe/fridge were all inside a gazebo with the back and 2 side walls erected due to the wind.

Immediate trip out to replace! Immediate phone call to daughter on our return home!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while this was an unpleasant, painful and very expensive experience for the owner i have little sympathy......

NEVER change gas bottles or connect appliances in the vacinity of naked/open flames or incandecent materials.

he was next to a camp fire :Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We nearly always travel with the gas on, but do have Secumotion. Sometimes leave the water heater on if I need hot water on arriving, but have to turn it off if I need to refuel.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
while this was an unpleasant, painful and very expensive experience for the owner i have little sympathy......

NEVER change gas bottles or connect appliances in the vacinity of naked/open flames or incandecent materials.

he was next to a camp fire :Doh:

Lots of sympathy for the guy, John, it's just many of these incidents can be avoided with a little forethought and the application of common sense.

Never had one but what about your water heating is it gas and do you leave that on.

Yes mate, and no.
It doesnt take long to heat a tankful of water on arrival.
Cant see the need to keep it running (In my experience, that is.)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
AFAIK----all (later ?) American bottles will not allow gas out with valve open unless a fitting is screwed onto the bottle----------------Also-- all pigtails (fitting from bottle to regulator) have a valve inside that (virtually) totally cuts off the gas flow in the case of a sudden massive leak.
So if, with an American unit there was a (for example) pipe fracture or one burn through in a fire, the gas would automatically shut off.
This is the same as our old Camping Gaz regulator from YEARS ago !!
I have no idea about US BBQ's:cry:
Nigel

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
AFAIK----all (later ?) American bottles will not allow gas out with valve open unless a fitting is screwed onto the bottle----------------Also-- all pigtails (fitting from bottle to regulator) have a valve inside that (virtually) totally cuts off the gas flow in the case of a sudden massive leak.
So if, with an American unit there was a (for example) pipe fracture or one burn through in a fire, the gas would automatically shut off.
This is the same as our old Camping Gaz regulator from YEARS ago !!
I have no idea about US BBQ's:cry:
Nigel

Know nothing about US propane bottles Nigel, but if you are familiar with the Extenda Stay adaptor, it comes supplied from the US with a pigtail that screws directly onto our standard propane bottle and also a taping point for a US BBQ that uses high pressure unregulated gas..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back