Changing the expiry date of tax disk? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone advise please?

My current tax disk expires in Feb 2012. I want to make it expire in August.
What is the best way to do this so I lose the least amount of money please?

I could buy a new tax disk in August then get a refund by post of my existing one but it looks like I will lose a months money no matter how I do it?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Is there going to be a month when your vehicle is off road ? If so why not SORN it for the month. I believe you are not allowed to reapply for VEL until 21 days after the SORN so if you do it on the 1st of a month then you can reapply by internet 5 days in advance (dates are all from memory)

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Can anyone advise please?

My current tax disk expires in Feb 2012. I want to make it expire in August.
What is the best way to do this so I lose the least amount of money please?

I could buy a new tax disk in August then get a refund by post of my existing one but it looks like I will lose a months money no matter how I do it?

I don't think you have to lose any money.

Send in your old tax disc for refund on the last day of the month in the same envelope for the tax application commencing the following month.

EDIT

Better still, on the last (PO working) day of the month apply at your nearest DVLA authorised PO for a new tax disc to commence the following day (they'll give you one because it's valid from midnight and they're not open then!) and on your way out post off your old disc for a refund.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
you will only get a refund on any full months left on the tax disc,so you will have to make sure that they recieve it before month end,so you would have to post it off five days before month end.26/8/11
then renew on the 1/9/11 so it would expire on 31/8/12

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Tax it for 6mths end of Feb-when that expires (end of Aug) tax it for a yr. Or is that too easy and am I missing something.::bigsmile:

Mike.

That would work, apart the difference in cost between a years and six months. The six months always seems poor value.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as long as the envelope is post office date stamped before the end of july you will get all remaining months refunded.

bit late now though...the PO will be closed.:Sad:

should have asked a week ago :Doh:

Mikes suggestion of 6 months is your only option now .....apart from getting 12 months and surrendering it in 6 months time..... its not worth the trouble for the sake of a few quid extra for 6 months.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Don't forget that if your tax falls due in August you might be away come renewal time. Could cause a slight inconvenience if you go away for a few months at a time.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
you will only get a refund on any full months left on the tax disc,so you will have to make sure that they recieve it before month end,so you would have to post it off five days before month end.26/8/11
then renew on the 1/9/11 so it would expire on 31/8/12

Not so, Chris - as long as you catch the post on the last day of the month the PO date stamp is accepted by the DVLA as proof. And if they receive a contiguous tax application at the same time it confirms you aren't trying to evade RF tax anyway. I've always found the DVLA to be quite helpful in cases like this. They would quite happily send a refund should you accidently duplicate a RFL for the same vehicle. It's happened to me before!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Tax it for 6mths end of Feb-when that expires (end of Aug) tax it for a yr. Or is that too easy and am I missing something.::bigsmile:

Mike.

Too easy I am afraid. I am going away and don't want to come back until July next year. I have to come back then to do my companies house paperwork, accounts and self assessment. I am trying to get everything to happen in August. Getting a new MOT as well with 8 month still to run on the old one.

I will just buy a new one at the end of august and stay off the road for 7 days while I send the old one in for refund...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice :)

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Can't you tax it online and get the new disc sent out to you by a 3rd party? That's what I did but I was in the UK at the time :Nowink:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This from the web site..

Not a change but useful info ( for me anyway !!! LOL !)

You can
Tax online or by phone
Use the reference number on your V11 reminder or Registration Certificate to renew your tax from the fifth day of the month in which the current tax disc expires. The tax disc can only be sent to the address shown on your V11 reminder or Registration Certificate. You could ask a friend or relative to post this to you at an address abroad.

Tax your vehicle online or by phone
Tax in advance
You can renew your tax up to two calendar months in advance in person or by post at a Post Office® branch that deals with advance applications or a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office.
Take or send:
Registration Certificate
completed V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’
insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
valid MOT certificate - if the car or motorcycle is over three years old - must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
the payment for vehicle tax
a letter to explain why you’re taxing in advance if you’re making a postal application

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back