Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about lighting the gas fridge. My spark lighter had just about given up and I wondered if I could use a bbq gas lighter by removing the outside bottom vent.

Everybody gave me cautious advice because of the legalities of messing with gas and explosions. Anyway, It stayed lit for the 2 weeks while I was away and I did not tamper with it because I did not want to be without cold beer.

Now that we are back I turned the fridge off and then attempted to light it again using the bbq lighter. My wife held the plunger in and I sparked the lighter in roughly the right area where the little blue flame appears. It lit first time.

So, the moral of the story, if the fridge won't light with the spark lighter on the control panel the bbq lighter will work very well in an emergency.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I recall your first post about it and was reticent about giving advice .. now you know it works ..

I remember many years ago I had a fridge that used a flit and wheel to ignite it.. there was a long push rod under the front of the fridge.. but when the flint ran out it was a bugger to change, so I used a lit taper pushed under the bottom in the general direction of the burner.. never did get round to changing the flint and it did go bang a few times.. :whatthe:

you never read that .... :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I was a child, we ( the family ) had quite a large fridge and freezer.. almost unheard on in the late 50's ( daddy worked at Walls at the time and would often help the company out by forcing us and many other families in the immediate area to test the wares :winky: ).. But what was odd about it ( to me as a child ) was that it was indeed gas.

And to light it was always exciting !

There was a clear glass or very hard plastic tube that exited the top of the fridge at the very back ( it actually poked up through the vents at the back )

To light the gas you had to hold in the knob on the front while someone else applied a lighter to the top of that tube.
The gas would ignite and chase down the tube until it lit the pilot light right at the bottom ( dad pulled the fridge out one day so we could watch it happen ! )

I somehow doubt such a method would be allowed nowadays !

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
When we lived in the bush in Australia back in the 70's we had a kerosene (parrafin) fridge. We kept the spare kerosene in a gerry can inside the shed. We also kept a gerry can with petrol in. Yes, you can guess what we are about to say, it was not until we went to fill up the car with petrol and the gerry can was half empty that we realised that we had been running the fridge on petrol for nearly a week.:shout::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

Nigel and Pamala

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
When I was a child, we ( the family ) had quite a large fridge and freezer.. almost unheard on in the late 50's ( daddy worked at Walls at the time and would often help the company out by forcing us and many other families in the immediate area to test the wares :winky: ).. But what was odd about it ( to me as a child ) was that it was indeed gas.

And to light it was always exciting !

There was a clear glass or very hard plastic tube that exited the top of the fridge at the very back ( it actually poked up through the vents at the back )

To light the gas you had to hold in the knob on the front while someone else applied a lighter to the top of that tube.
The gas would ignite and chase down the tube until it lit the pilot light right at the bottom ( dad pulled the fridge out one day so we could watch it happen ! )

I somehow doubt such a method would be allowed nowadays !

Never mind the kids watching it - I would have liked to see that myself !

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
When we lived in the bush in Australia back in the 70's we had a kerosene (parrafin) fridge. We kept the spare kerosene in a gerry can inside the shed. We also kept a gerry can with petrol in. Yes, you can guess what we are about to say, it was not until we went to fill up the car with petrol and the gerry can was half empty that we realised that we had been running the fridge on petrol for nearly a week.:shout::shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

Nigel and Pamala

So you didn't have the expense of an airline flight back to blighty then .... :ROFLMAO:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
fridge

Yes this method works (obviously) but its not a good or safe way to light a fridge. Please get it serviced by a motorhome engineer. See the mcea web site to find someone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back