Satnav for larger motorhomes, needed or gimmick ? (1 Viewer)

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
I have a satnav app on my iPhone from Navigon, it is a top class product. The chap who sold me the motorhome had a Snooper Truckmate (which he wanted to keep) into which you programmed your vans width, hieght and length (and weight?) and any calculated routes took this into consideration avoiding steep hills, low bridges tight bends etc etc...so in my curiosity I've now noticed Navigon have an upgrade for my iPhone app which now incorporates the above, albeit at £70...so, do people tend to use these things or are they seen as 'gimmicks' and you all get along fine with a standard satnav of whatever make ?

the only downside of the iPhone satnav app (havent needed to use it in the van yet) is its a small screen and the windscreen on the Frankia is a long way away !

The Navigon stuff is here:-
http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/produkte/navigationssoftware/mobile_navigator_iphone_eu.html

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Get an ipad from some of the money you would pay for a truckmate and you can use the same application on the iphone on the ipad free (if you register as owner of both) :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Get an ipad from some of the money you would pay for a truckmate and you can use the same application on the iphone on the ipad free (if you register as owner of both) :thumb:

Too late, just bought a Blackberry Playbook:thumb:

OP
OP
Motoberg

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
The reason I have Navigon is that when I went to the States a couple of years back, I tried unsuccesfully to unlock the USA maps on my old Magellan Roadmate 700, so in a last minute panic the night before I travelled I dowloaded the Navigon USA app ( The Tom Tom App was in development but hadnt been released then) and was so pleased with it, bought the Europe version on my return...

so back on topic :Smile: Is the hieght, length, width thing a gimmick or do a lot of Funsters use it ?

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
The chap who sold me the motorhome had a Snooper Truckmate (which he wanted to keep) into which you programmed your vans width, hieght and length (and weight?) and any calculated routes took this into consideration avoiding steep hills, low bridges tight bends etc etc

I would save your money.

I have the Snooper 7000 which supposedly does the same, but in reality the only benefit over other satnavs is that it will avoid mapped low bridges or width restrictions. Other than that it cannot guide you any better as the mapping is not yet available. Mine has often sent me down unsuitable roads and up incredibly steep and narrow roads.

For the time being stick with what you got and use common sense when using it, particularily watch for low bridges. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Try www.lowbridges.com where for £9.95 you can download to your existing navigator.Also on the website are load, weight and width restriction downloads.
Could save buying a new navigator :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
heehee! The thing is with all nav systems unless somebody tells them in advance of your going there about the low bridges, new one-way systems and far too narrow bits on diversions eg when there is a burst water/gas main and they are digging up roads or there is a market that day spread all over the road you should be going down, you have to use your eyes and your seat of the pants judgment anyway!

:ROFLMAO:

Going to have look at that site "low bridges" etc; if Jim could use it on his TT for his comparative monster - then it should do for us? But I dunno; can make the whole journey more 'interesting' sometimes????

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Gimmick don't waste your money no better than a £99.00 Garmin Nuvo::bigsmile:
I've used a cheap Nuvo all over the world good as anything even when driving the RVs

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use a Snooper 7000

I have a Snooper 7000. Driving an RV (Ford B class Winnebago) the vehicle is large and the bigger screen is a great bonus. I also have a pioneer which I mainly use as a back up /rear view camera facility.

The Snooper allows me to see bridges off the route I am on and does avoid them. Plus you get audio warning of sharpe bends as well.

used it for a year now and even used it to the South of France and back off motorways... like all sat navs it can have it's moments. But the basic concept is good and works.
:thumb:

Bob

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi

Agree with everything Bob says, I think the relevant word regarding Snooper is TRUCKMATE, we have had 1 of these for 3 years, used it both in the UK and abroad never has it sent us down the wrong road and avoids low bridges. We also get free updates. Have tried the rest Garmin, Navman but wouldnt use anything except Snooper Truckmate.
Thats only MHO.

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back