alko axle without grease nipples (1 Viewer)

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
i have a mh fitted with an alko tag and air suspension from the factory i cannot find the grease nipples and after a chat with the alko tech people they say it is greased for life any body with any ideas on how to grease the axles, can i remove the end plate and just pump grease in or even remove a bolt on the end plate and fit a grease nipple to fill the axle, what does the end plate cover, do the bolts hold anything or just the cover. i do not believe in grease or oil for life so can anybody come up with any suggestions/solutions please

thank you

andy:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
under no circumstances remove any bolts from the axle ends......they carry the torsion bars !

if alko say its greased for life, then its greased for life and not servicable.

OP
OP
ciderman

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
Alko have said there are only two torsion bars instead of three does anybody have a workshop drawing of the axle breakdown
Thank you:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Trust me don't mess with a sealed for life torsion bar you might find it very very expensive. They truely are sealed for life.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And they bite when you mess with them, sealed or not:Eeek:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
alko chassis

We have an twin axle Alko chassis on our Fiat based Autotrail Arapaho, it has a grease nipple just behind each wheel on the axle, you can`t miss them.
If yours haven`t got any nipples and it is as Alko say then it must be a different set up than ours but hey your`re lucky as you have to jack each wheel up individuallly till it hangs in mid air then pump the greaser in, apparently 8 to 12 pumps once pressure is felt, though you will need a powerful grease gun, approx once every 12 months I was told.
That`s all there is to it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry , nothing to say on this.

Nipples drew me to the thread...

OP
OP
ciderman

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
sealed for life worries me grease goes hard over time = shagged axle.

a little story about bmw motorcycles started doing final drives sealed for life in the end warranty claims where so great the final drives now come with a fill drain and level plug.

can anybody point me to a schematic of the alko axle so i can see how it works to form a plan to grease it unless of course any body wishes to sponsor me to see how long greased for life is :ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
with the state of the roads i don't think it will outlast the body but if alko say it greased for life they must mean about 10 years as that is the average life of most motor vehicles.

try to get something in writing from alko stating that if it fails due to lack of lubrication they will stand a replacement and associated costs.

then you have no worries.

if alko won't do this then see if they will fit grease nipples to it for you.

after all alko want your axle to fail in a few years so they can stuff you for the £2000 odd bill for a new one.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
sealed for life worries me grease goes hard over time = shagged axle.

a little story about bmw motorcycles started doing final drives sealed for life in the end warranty claims where so great the final drives now come with a fill drain and level plug.

can anybody point me to a schematic of the alko axle so i can see how it works to form a plan to grease it unless of course any body wishes to sponsor me to see how long greased for life is :ROFLMAO:

With the greatest of respect, a driven rear axle of the BMW type running in oil, and an undriven trailing axle whose moving parts are only torsion bars, are two very very different things, and the comparison is unfair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back