LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi we are going to pick up the new motorhome tomorrow, our daughter and the grandsons are taking us. My question is, the grandsons (aged 11 and 14) want to travel back with us in the motorhome but it has side seats with no seatbelts.

My understanding from the time we bought our first motorhome was that it was ok to travel without seatbelts in side facing seats, could anyone please confirm this. We would hate to get pulled over on our first journey.

Hope you can help.

Ginny and Mike.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You need to research this. BUT I think there was a law change about October 2007.
This made it illegal to travel / carry passengers in a side facing seat registered after this date, although if you have a vehicle registered before 2007 then that is legal ?? However not safe and if you have seen the adverts in the past on TV, you basically have 2 large objects ready to smash into you in a sudden stop or smash...

As I say DO CHECK.... Not only might it be unwise to carry them from a safety point of view. Legally you could be at fault for allowing them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi we are going to pick up the new motorhome tomorrow, our daughter and the grandsons are taking us. My question is, the grandsons (aged 11 and 14) want to travel back with us in the motorhome but it has side seats with no seatbelts.

My understanding from the time we bought our first motorhome was that it was ok to travel without seatbelts in side facing seats, could anyone please confirm this. We would hate to get pulled over on our first journey.

Hope you can help.

Ginny and Mike.

It's my understanding that adults and 'youths' over 50 cm in height can travel in sideways facing seats without belts. Children under 50 cm's have to face forward and wear full 3 point belts.

I've travelled all over Europe, and continue to do so, in a similar motorhome without ever having had a problem with the law.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
You need to research this. BUT I think there was a law change about October 2007.
This made it illegal to travel / carry passengers in a side facing seat registered after this date, although if you have a vehicle registered before 2007 then that is legal ?? However not safe and if you have seen the adverts in the past on TV, you basically have 2 large objects ready to smash into you in a sudden stop or smash...

As I say DO CHECK.... Not only might it be unwise to carry them from a safety point of view. Legally you could be at fault for allowing them.

I may be wrong but I think the regulations state 'manufactured' as opposed to 'registered' after 2007. The question posed was whether it is legal, not whether it is safe or unwise. That is for the OP to decide. I have a close friend who's life and that of his wife was saved because they weren't wearing seat belts ... they both would definately have been killed had they been.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Two things really, I know we all grew up and travelled in the back of cars with no seatbelt but its much more dangerous now. Also, if you are carrying unbelted kids, then you can bet your slippery insurance company will have some cop out. Why not split the journey and let them travel one at a time up front, properly belted:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's my understanding that adults and 'youths' over 50 cm in height can travel in sideways facing seats without belts. Children under 50 cm's have to face forward and wear full 3 point belts.

Almost correct.. it's 135cm .. 50cm is only 19.68 inches :roflmto:

the exact wording from Direct Gov. is

Children aged 12 or older or 135 centimetres tall may use an adult seat , they don't need a child's car seat..

If your vehicle has side-facing seats:

Child car seats must not be used in side-facing seats. For this reason, a child who needs to use a child's seat can't travel in a sideways-facing seat. This is because seat belts in side-facing seats don't protect passengers in a crash and can cause serious injuries.

So,, if they are age 12 , or more than 135cm, they can use a side seat without a belt legally.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sorry to go negative on the subject but Tonka is right. Whatever the legal aspects, we in this country haven't travelled unbelted for as long as I can remember, and I collect my pension in a couple of months! As Dirty Harry said, do you feel lucky? I wouldn't risk anyone in unseated belts. :Blush:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi IT MAY BE TOO LATE BUT IF THE VAN WAS BUILT BEFORE 2007 YOU CAN CARRY IN SIDE SEATS :thumb: (OOOOPS SORRY FOR CAPS :ROFLMAO:) after that all passengers must have belted seats
terry

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Put another way
how much do you value your grandchildren

I just couldn't imagine them travelling without a seatbelt
Even on holiday in foreign parts