Airstream - Investment OR Money Pit? (1 Viewer)

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I have seen an an Airstream 345 1982 for sale, is this a nice little project or a money pit, views please :thumb:

Link Removed

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I think you should buy it, great investment and if you want a Technical Project Manager, then I can highly recommend Road Runner..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Looks like a fabulous bargain to me (if genuine) and if you have the space to keep it and you want it, I would say "snap it up"...

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I can't believe it has been for sale since June, there is one here for sale :Eeek:

Link Removed

How about a Funster project, all put in a few bob and refurb it? :thumb:

Last edited:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have seen an an Airstream 345 1982 for sale, is this a nice little project or a money pit, views please :thumb:

Link Removed

I can't beieve it has been for ale since June, there is one here for sale :Eeek:

Link Removed

How about a Funster project, all put in a few bob and refurb it? :thumb:

Looks like the same van to me.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It is Old, Iconic and has a history with it - so could be an investment.

Depending if there is desire of others to own it. With all these things, it is only an investment if it appreciates in value, and it will only do that if others want it.

Have you held a desire to own one? Could you find a buyer for it? Or do you just want to keep it a while to say you owned one? There is only one life, so nothing wrong with just wanting your name on a log book - friend done that with a Bentely once!

Only you can decide - but do consider storage space, and if that is going to cost you money - as long as these thing go up in vlaue, then yes it will be an investment as long as storage does not overtake appreciation.

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I like older solid things (not talking about the wife :ROFLMAO:) I have some other classic vehicles, and I know the position you can end up in, the last service on one of mine a couple of months ago was £15k :Eeek: and then the alternator went the following week damaging some other parts and that was another £1,200 :Eeek::Eeek:

I have room to keep it, but it would need to be used, as motorhoming is a compliment to our main investment which is boating, I would only ever have one motorhome. I love the Kontiki 645, it is ultra reliable, well built and a great layout for my current needs. There is something romantic about the Streamline, I saw the caravan style at the NEC, but they looked a bit blingey, maybe it is just a dream owning a 345 that could come crashing down when the bills start falling on the mat :Eeek:

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Nice detective work people, one to steer clear of I think! :Eeek:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
A 7.4 petrol engine might put me off.......looks interesting from the outside
inside its grim.

So its implant a 2.3 Fiat engine and you might get 15 mph out of it .

Its not really a goer .... be honest:Smile:

barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have room to keep it, but it would need to be used, as motorhoming is a compliment to our main investment which is boating, I would only ever have one motorhome.

That being the case .. I'd forget it ..

It's a museum piece and will cost a packet to get back to original condition and a fortune run and maintain.. this is an ideal project for the ' American RV Show' enthusiast with a fat wallet .. and a big ego.

As an aside.. the ad says can be driven on grandfather licence .. no mention of it's GVW .. but to me it looks over 7.5t.. I may be mistaken but worth checking before buying.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
A 7.4 petrol engine might put me off.......looks interesting from the outside
inside its grim.

So its implant a 2.3 Fiat engine and you might get 15 mph out of it .

Its not really a goer .... be honest:Smile:

barry

And if your lucky 15 MPH(just re read post and thats what you said, DOH!)

As Jim says, likely over 7.5 ton, mind you there is a 37' Winne, tag axle with large slide on ebay at the moment that the seller states clearly it doesn't need HGV to drive:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It is all going to come down to giving it a good once over :thumb:Underneath and outer skin are the money grabbers :thumb: especially the alloy outer skin :Eeek: If that is in good condition the inside is easy peasy :thumb: as this would be very easy to change :thumb:that comes down to personal preference:thumb: I think it is a very good price provided the alloy skin is good
terry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
yes but which price is the good price? the price on the op ad or the price on the second add which are of the same vehicle
so £6,500 or £25,500 - I know a lot of the old iconic airstreams are collectors items
I too would probably snatch the hand offering it at £6,500 off.

I notice that on the ad that is dearer there is a mobile number, and the first ad was in june with the second dearer ad being in july - so wonder if someone did snatch someones hand off

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
yes but which price is the good price? the price on the op ad or the price on the second add which are of the same vehicle
so £6,500 or £25,500 - I know a lot of the old iconic airstreams are collectors items
I too would probably snatch the hand offering it at £6,500 off.

I notice that on the ad that is dearer there is a mobile number, and the first ad was in june with the second dearer ad being in july - so wonder if someone did snatch someones hand off

I think it's more likely that the first ad accidently missed a first '2' off the price ......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back