Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All cold weather campers, please don't forget to check your Carbon Monoxide detectors. They do have a finite life and need renewing every few years. If you have not got one, they cost around £25 but are definitely worth having. When you check your detectors take the time to check and the vents and flues are not obstructed. In addition have your heaters, boilers Fridges and gennies serviced regularly.

Known as the silent killer, Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas produced by incomplete burning of fuel, such as propane, petrol, natural gas, wood and charcoal. If we inhale enough of it we will die. Symptoms of
Carbon Monoxide poisoning include nausea, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, breathing difficulty and confusion -- but they are general enough to be confused with the flu so be aware of this.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our detector actually went off when we were out in the 'van a few weeks ago. I turned off the heater, opened the door and all the windows then set out to find out what was wrong. The mushroom vent on the top of the flue had been knocked off when we went under some trees, causing a "blow back" of fumes by the wind. A trip to Pioneer Caravans at Eye Peterborough resulted in a replacement FOC. I fitted it and then tried the heater. After about an hour or so the detector stayed silent. I consider that a CO2 detector a must for every motorhome and think they should be fitted as standard. As Jim said "Known as the silent killer, Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas". If you dont have one fitted, go and get one before it's too late.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

F

fjmike

Deleted User
For those who don't have a carbon monoxide detector B&Q are doing a portable model for about £15 at the moment. Money well spent if you ask me

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I just looked and they can be bought from our very own shop:thumb::Smile:
Link Removed

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Bloody ell, never thought about having one in me van, always had one in me boat.
Looks like me bird will be getting an extra present for christmas:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the heads up Jim

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Totally agree with the orginal post,

The only thing i would say is reverse what has been said and make sure your appliances are checked and serviced first, PLEASE DON'T buy a Carbon monoxide detector and then wait until that goes off before having your appliances checked as that can be to late especially if the detector fails ? because you forget to replace the batteries or took them out for something else ? as people do, that's obviously assuming its battery powered.

Also read the instructions on the placement of the detector if you are going to buy one ?? they need to be sited correctly

And if you are using one at home or on a boat etc. please remember that Carbon Monoxide comes from the incomplete combustion [burning wrongly] of any fossil fuel, so make sure you check your wood burners, coal fires, and your gas applainces as they all need servicing regularly.

hope that helps

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
When we first started out on our travels in the RV we were woken in the wee small hours by our gas alarm going off. I got up and checked the cooker, couldn't find anything wrong, so calmed the dog and went back to bed.

Then the alarm went off again. This time I found the cause.

Janna, our Golden Retriever, being frightened of her new lifestyle, had come into the bedroom to sleep near us. She'd curled up on the floor in the corner, with her bum resting against the gas detector.

So it didn't take too long to figure out the source of the gas emissions! Still, at least we know our alarm works. . .

Janna is available for hire as an alarm tester should anyone need this service :roflmto:

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Just thought it may be worth mentioning that there are in general 3 types of alarm [and a 4th that we won't mention] which need to be positioned correctly as otherwise they may not detect the situation correctly and could end up being useless ?

A general rule

Smoke alarm in general these should be fitted at a high level,

Gas [LPG] alarm and again generally this should be fitted at a low level [if it was for household gas methane then it would be at a high level]

CO [carbon monoxide] alarm and this again generally should be fitted at a high level,

Please don't take my word on these positions as they are really very very important so please read the instructions.

They do make combined alarms I'm not sure that they are made for all 3 items above but if you are short for space then it may be worth checking, but please remember the positioning?

There are a number of different types of Smoke alarms each with differing sensitivities which are specifically targeted towards certain circumstances so its really worth checking which ones suits your situation, before you buy, albeit it is worth saying that the sealed for life battery units that have a timed out function [button] for a few minutes, which then automatically resets are the ones I would chose. In certain areas you can arrange for a free inspection of your home through the fire brigade and in some areas they actually give away free smoke detectors ? check your local area

I am not an expert on this subject so it reallyis worth reading the instructions that come with the Alarm/Detectors

Hope this helps

When we first started out on our travels in the RV we were woken in the wee small hours by our gas alarm going off. I got up and checked the cooker, couldn't find anything wrong, so calmed the dog and went back to bed.

Then the alarm went off again. This time I found the cause.

Janna, our Golden Retriever, being frightened of her new lifestyle, had come into the bedroom to sleep near us. She'd curled up on the floor in the corner, with her bum resting against the gas detector.

So it didn't take too long to figure out the source of the gas emissions! Still, at least we know our alarm works. . .

Janna is available for hire as an alarm tester should anyone need this service :roflmto:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
quote"CO [carbon monoxide] alarm and this again generally should be fitted at a high level, "

Cheers mate I was just about to ask that very question.

Thanks again and a Very Merry Cristmas To you and yours, and all Readers.::bigsmile:

G

gthompson

Deleted User
While we're on the topic of carbon monoxide:

A 17.5 million dollar lawsuit was pursued after a hotel decided to bypass the carbon monoxide detector on the boiler. The detector had switched off the boiler for safety reasons while staff simply bypassed it to please the hotel occupants need for hot water. The air conditioning system sucked up the carbon monoxide leaving some with illness and some with Link Removed.

Remember Carbon Monoxide is a 'colourless' and 'odourless' gas that left unchecked will prove fatal.

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
which one

I just looked and they can be bought from our very own shop:thumb::Smile:
Link Removed

hi jim,
just looked on the shop whichis the best one to by the battery operated or mains, bearing in mind we are not always on hook up please recommend what you think thanks:Smile:
ruth

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

I deliver to Allied Pharmacy group shops. They have Carbon Monoxide Detectors on sale for £12.95. Now thats a BILLY BARGAIN

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Ruth
I would recommend a battery operated version for the reason you mention :thumb:
Any links Dave?

Keith

E

Elaine Downes

Deleted User
Just bought one after reading all this

Thanks
Just been and bought one off amazon...
Elaine:Smile:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks
Just been and bought one off amazon...
Elaine:Smile:

Hi Elaine, pay particular attention about where to place the detector for best effect. Follow the instructions that come with it carefully. In the absence of good instructions call the help line or visit the manufacturers website, most have them.

Some generic advice:

Do Not install the gas alarm:
  • Behind furniture (including curtains) or in enclosed areas such as a wardrobe cupboards or cabinets
  • In any area that does not have good air circulation.
  • Within 12 inches of a window, exterior doors, heating or return vents, or in any other drafty areas.
  • Within 5 feet of any cooking appliance or kettle.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Ruth
Any links Dave?

Keith

Hi Keith

Sorry no links but every Allied Pharmacy I have been in sell them. However. the offer ends soon. I bought another 2, 1 for the house and another one for the top bunk where Edwina sleeps - thats 2 fitted to the van!!!! Belt and Braces :ROFLMAO:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi Ruth
Any links Dave?

Keith

thanks for the advice keith, just bought one on line from lloyds pharmacy £12.99
is on special offer at the moment good guarante too::bigsmile:just key in lloyds pharmacy in search engine.:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Most carbon monoxide alarms are intended for household use,as if you read the instructions they have to be fitted within certain peramiters wich cannot be achieved in most motorhomes or you will get false alarms.My answer to that is i would rather have false alarms than no alarm.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I'm tagging onto this older thread ....

Generator exhaust can be a source of carbon monoxide. Some run their generator all night and don't wake up. Others run their generator and kill their neighbor. Here's an article about carbon monoxide poisoning suffered by a family of RVers who were attending yeterday's Indy 500 race.

One of the things we encourage RVers to use is a gadget called a Genturi. It's essentially an exhaust stack that connects to the generator exhaust and releases the exhaust gases above the roof line. The manufacturer's web site doesn't show a photo of the Genturi installed, but click here and all will be revealed. The Genturi is easily removed, breaks down into smaller sections, and stores in a bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Our LPG Alarm went off during the middle of the night two weeks ago. It woke us immediatley

We identified the problem, and there was a problem, fixed it and went back to bed.

Without that alarm, who knows what:Eeek:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
During inclement weather I was using the BBQ in the awning with the window opened. Suddenly beep! beep!. Wassat! CO alarm, which I had forgotten was going manic. At least it tested the alarm, on of Lidl's specials.
I.ve fitted it discreetly under the table, and a LPG alarm next to the gas locker.

The smoke alarm goes off when the OH cooks, much to her annoyance and my mirth!

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Some time ago in the USA we hired an RV for an extensive tour of the far west. It was towards the end of October and nights (and days) got very cold near the Grand Canyon.

The RV had one terribly annoying fault. The inner fly screen door rattled noisily all the time so I bought some of the rectangular cross section stick on foam tape and it worked wonders.

However the tape didn't stick well enough in some areas so I bought a rube of Uhu glue and stuck the foam tape back on. Now on exiting we had to descend two or three steps down and the carbon dioxide meter was placed at the lowest point right NEXT to the door AND the Uhu affixed foam tape.

The glue unfortunately gave off fumes which the carbon monoxide meter took to be carbon monoxide and we could not stop the meter sounding off (as it was hard wired into the power supply and for safety purposes had no on/off switch).

It was late in the evening, very dark and very cold (-18 Celsius most nights) and the only way to stop the very loud noise disturbing all our neighbours was to leave the door open for about three hours.

Boy were we cold but I learnt something about Uhu glue and carbon monoxide meters.

PS: were are now mixing up carbon monixe and smoke meters

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Gas alarms

I must concur with kijana -we had a Winnebago Rialta a couple of years back- when we went to bed the alarm suddenly went off in the middle of the night. After much investigation nothing was found to be amiss so we settled down again.After another short period it went off again! the only thing that had happened was that I had farted!. This I think proves the link and also shows how sensitive the detector was. Mind you it was fitted near the floor on the kitchen unit. So beware- it might happen to you!!
Sweet Dreams:winky:
Dave& Jen:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

It is very very important to site CO monitors/detectors and Smoke Alarms in the correct place, some of the suggestions on possible positions in some of the threads should be checked against the monitor/detector manufacturers recommendations

Its really important for them to be in the right position ???

hope that helps

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Re siting of smoke and co alarms up high.

While it is not so important in the small volume of an RV, generally the wall or ceiling within 6" of the wall/ceiling junction should be avoided because air does not flow well in that area.

[on a similar note to the dog setting off the gas alarm - my LPG alarm went off and there was no evidence of a leak. Eventually realised there was a very faint smell of rum on the doormat next to the detector. Traced it to the bottle that had tipped over on the top of the fridge and was dripping a couple of drops a day.

Given the price of booze, the detector paid about a third of its purchase price that day]

bedfordmj

Free Member
Jun 25, 2008
Funster No
The first weekend away in our truck we'd turned generator on - to just make sure it worked ok, left Dog inside went back 30 mins later to find alarm going off. Fumes were getting inside and Dog was happy to get outside. It was a very still day, please be careful and fit a monitor and don't be as stupid as I was to leave a generator running unattended. My Dog is almost 14 and I cherish everyday I could have finished him off early and I'd never have forgiven myself.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
maybe we should all be carrying canaries in our vans? :whistle: as a general pupose alarm.:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back