First trip overseas (1 Viewer)

roky1983

Free Member
Jun 9, 2010
wales carmarthenshire
Funster No
Exp
6 months
Wanting to go away for 3 weeks from Monday , thoughts are Dover - Calais stop over near there , then either follow the coast down to Brittany with a few stop overs for a couple of days then the boat from Brittany home spending atleast the 3 weeks in France, or from Calais down to Disney with a few stopovers finishing in Brittany then home . I have 2 kids 5 and 2 would like parks with plenty to do , we love cycling and the beach, but I'm a total novice motorhoming so help and recommendations needed
Thnx all

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
first time driving in france....or first time abroad in a motorhome ?

first time driving, i would suggest making a card with the words KEEP RIGHT.....and place it on the steering wheel when parked.

so easy to leave a site after a day or two and forget to drive on the right, especially on quiet back roads.

what am i talking about :Doh:all french roads are quiet compered to ours. :roflmto:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
This might sound a silly answer, but I'd get a good book of campsites and and also the via Michelin guide for the area you want to go to, see what sights or attractions interest you and then plan your trip. I'm sure the children would love Disney, but I've never been there and can't comment. The coast along to Britanny is beautiful with miles and miles of sandy beaches and there will be lots of places to stay. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 14, 2011
Charente Maritime
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 18
Exp
I'm a newbie, 15 years touring.
first time driving in france....or first time abroad in a motorhome ?

first time driving, i would suggest making a card with the words KEEP RIGHT.....and place it on the steering wheel when parked.

so easy to leave a site after a day or two and forget to drive on the right, especially on quiet back roads.

what am i talking about :Doh:all french roads are quiet compered to ours. :roflmto:

The Peripherique de Paris, leaves the M25 standing.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't really do parks but did go to Le Grand Parc (Loire region) which was excellent and a bit different, and I am told Asterix park is better than Disney.

mollyold

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
burstner argos
Exp
Not sure how far south you want to go but futuroscope in Poitou is a excellent couple of days out and there is also secure Aires for the motorhome on-site.

The evening finale is something else, a man-made lake with hundreds of fountains that play to music and then the show, using lazers to project annimations against the spray of the fountains, hard to explain but check out their website.

Also to let you knw that both Disney land and Astrix allow motorhomes to park up for a few nights while visiting

Have a great time and think KERB

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Bearing in mind where you live, and your intention to visit Brittany, why not travel from Portsmouth to either Caen or Cherbourg. That way you'd save a whole load of driving and fuel by going to Calais, and then shlepping all the way west in France. If you look on a map, I think you might agree.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi.

The ACSI card is really only useful out of peak season and you will be travelling through France during peak season. All the Aires book is worth having with you at all times, although this time of year you will find the most popular aires fill up very early.

Even though you have chosen to holiday in France during their buisiest season you will still find a large variety of sites with spaces. A good site book to carry is the Michelin site guide readily available in French hypermarkets.

Have fun and enjoy our holiday.:Cool:

Cheers Mike.

OP
OP
R

roky1983

Free Member
Jun 9, 2010
wales carmarthenshire
Funster No
Exp
6 months
As usual some very good advice , I agree travelling to Dover would be silly, silly question maybe ! But is there enough to do in the Brittany area and are there plenty of sites / beaches and aires,

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I've never been to Britanny, well not in a MH, but everybody seems to love it and the lovely beaches. I'll get there one day I'm sure but if you look on the internet, I'm sure you'll find good places there for children. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

Take a look at the link

Link Removed
:thumb:
Lesley

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Bearing in mind where you live, and your intention to visit Brittany, why not travel from Portsmouth to either Caen or Cherbourg. That way you'd save a whole load of driving and fuel by going to Calais, and then shlepping all the way west in France. If you look on a map, I think you might agree.

I agree with this. The Cherbourg peninsular (Cotentin) is really nice - great beaches, nice towns (Coutances, Agon-Coutainville, Granville, Villedieu les Poiles) and villages (I lived in Hauteville sur Mer), and good Calvados! Plenty of opportunities for wild camping if that floats your boat.

Then you can go round the corner into Brittany via Mont St Michel, and then what all the others have said.

I've got Alan Rogers, and a list of aires as well as 'All The Aires' (because they're not all in the book).

And there's a few hints and tips about useful phrases on the current thread on aires etiquette.

There's also a fair bit about our experiences in France with The Rosabella in the blog (link below). Have a look at the 2009 archive.

Bon voyage! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back