Schools for Full Timers Children (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Question please. If you are a fulltimer living in an area and have young children are they entitled to a permanent place at the local school. Reason I ask is house prices are hugly inflated in areas of excelent schools if you get the drift.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry Buttons, this is a good question that deserves it's own thread so I've given it one:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Simple answer is yes.. unless the school is over subscribed.. we certainly never had a problem enrolling Charlotte .. and in her first school in Basildon before fulltiming.. there were many travellers kids form Dale farm.. used to come to school on a pony and trap .. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Question please. If you are a fulltimer living in an area and have young children are they entitled to a permanent place at the local school. Reason I ask is house prices are hugly inflated in areas of excelent schools if you get the drift.

No child has a right to a place at a local school.
Each school has its own admissions policy.

I must say, though, that all of the fulltiming families I've met or read about have been home educating.

Admissions procedures

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Our daughter Jessica is at a very, very good school 2 mins from where we live, indeed so close we can see it. If she passes the 11 plus there is a grammer school 3 mins in the opposite direction or if not the secondary school is 5 mins away. And that is in a small town of 2700 and one you can walk the entire length of in less than 10 minutes.

Its one of the main reasons why we have moved back into property. Jessica has loved her first year at school, she is 6. We wanted to give her a chance at school and if it had not gone well we would ahve home educated back in a motorhome.

I think though what you are really getting at is could you park your motorhome up in a top school location and claim a place. I think the answer is no unless you own the land and you are paying council tax on it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Right to Education
Everyone has the right to education and Local Education Authorities (LEAs) have a statutory duty to ensure that education is available for all children of compulsory school age (five to 16 year-olds) in their area, appropriate to their age, abilities, aptitudes and any special educational needs that they might have. LEAs also have a duty to give parents in the area the opportunity to express a preference as to which school they wish their child to attend.

[HI]These duties apply to all children residing in the LEA’s area, whether permanently or temporarily and, therefore, Gypsy and Traveller children residing with their families on temporary or unauthorised sites are included within this duty.[/HI]

read more Link Removed

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Do the children of someone who chooses to live in their motorhome have the same rights as the ethnic group called travellers/gypsy?

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Do the children of someone who chooses to live in their motorhome have the same rights as the ethnic group called travellers/gypsy?

It's irrelevant really.
If you are in a particular LEA and want your child to go to school, the LEA must provide a school place.

You just can't insist on a place in any specific school.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What is the definition of chooses to live in their motorhome. Is this not what travelers are doing.:Smile:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think the question has been aptly answered buttons .. do you have a particular reason for asking ?
No Jim I'm happy. My question was related to my earlier comment with regard to the price of friend on mines house. This vastly inflated price is 100% due to the local schools.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I suspect it is looking for a way to bend the law a little and provide a better school than would otherwise be offered. Unless of course you actually intend going fulltime for a few years buttons.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No Jim I'm happy. My question was related to my earlier comment with regard to the price of friend on mines house. This vastly inflated price is 100% due to the local schools.

ok I understand...

.... you were thinking of parking your Vdub close by this school, renting it to a small travelling person to inflate it's price :roflmto:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
I think the issue is not whether the LEA has to offer a place its how you establish you live in that area.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think the issue is not whether the LEA has to offer a place its how you establish you live in that area.

On the two separate occasions while living in the RV we told them where we were living .. I don't recall having to prove it .. or indeed being asked why .. maybe it would have raised eyebrows if we said Tesco car park .. but it would still be an address.,. If it were an unauthorised site .. I guess you give the GPS co ords.. or your van reg, :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Its one of the main reasons why we have moved back into property. Jessica has loved her first year at school, she is 6. We wanted to give her a chance at school and if it had not gone well we would ahve home educated back in a motorhome.

I think that was a wise decision Stew .. It was also one of the reasons we decided to go back to a house..
I believe there is more to education than simply teaching the three Rs .. by that I mean, they learn to interact with their peers and enjoy activities away from the parents.. I also believe that very few parents have the skills and patience to home educate to the required level required for secondary school.. I am sure she will thrive in such a nice environment.

Charlotte has also been attending our very small village school of about 90 pupils.. which she has enjoyed greatly and has benefited enormously from .. our village only has a population of about 400.. many pupils come from the local farms and smaller hamlets.. It is a safe and lovely place to live, she has so much freedom, fields and woodlands on our doorstep with a remote and deserted beach less than a mile away, great for walking the dogs.

In Sep she will start secondary school which is about 8mls away. We have been to it several times and we are very impressed by the staff and pupils. it has an excellent reputation and has a waiting list from those outside the catchment area .. we feel lucky to have found such a great place to live.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back