maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Normally my engine battery sits at 12.8v when parked up and doesn't shift from this figure. But over the last few days it's been noticeably dropping when parked up. This morning it was down to 12.4v after 3 days parked. :Sad:

I drove the van over to ATS this morning but the battery tested fine. So presumably something is causing the battery to drain down but I don't know what. I haven't been doing anything different with the van to usual. Has anyone any ideas what I should be doing to work out what is wrong? Thank you.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Sometimes it can be 'back feeding'through the alternator...

If you have any electrical knowledge....you could rig an amp meter is series with the battery to measure any current drop and then take out fuses until the drop disappears. This then would tll you what is causing your problem to within an area..

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If you have any electrical knowledge....you could rig an amp meter is series with the battery to measure any current drop and then take out fuses until the drop disappears. This then would tll you what is causing your problem to within an area..

Thank you. But if I have limited electrical knowledge and no ammeter? ............... :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If nothing has changed then I would put it down to an ageing battery .. it may well test ok but has lost some of it's youthful vigour .. how old is it ?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
After market stereo? Usually the culprit, as some demand poower even when 'off' - the drain can be surprisingly high. You can measure with a voltmeter.

To do this, take a feed off the live after turning everything off and waiting twenty minutes. Use the hab door, and not the front....the vehicle needs to 'go to sleep'

If you need to go for a full drain check, let me know and I'll tell you how to do it.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If nothing has changed then I would put it down to an ageing battery .. it may well test ok but has lost some of it's youthful vigour .. how old is it ?

Age unknown, and because of its location (squashed into back of A class engine compartment) impossible to get at to read any labels that might be on it. :Sad: Having said that, it still started easily first time when reading 12.4v ..........

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
After market stereo? Usually the culprit, as some demand poower even when 'off' - the drain can be surprisingly high. You can measure with a voltmeter.

To do this, take a feed off the live after turning everything off and waiting twenty minutes. Use the hab door, and not the front....the vehicle needs to 'go to sleep'

If you need to go for a full drain check, let me know and I'll tell you how to do it.

Stereo hasn't been used since I got the van in March. I took the front off and put it in the glove box 2 days after I got it. I like to listen to all the noises the van makes going along, so I can hear if something's about to drop off! ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Age unknown, and because of its location (squashed into back of A class engine compartment) impossible to get at to read any labels that might be on it. :Sad: Having said that, it still started easily first time when reading 12.4v ..........

so, possibly the original, how old is the van .. ?

we can assume it's charging as it's starting the engine ok, but doesn't hold a charge ..

Still points to an ageing battery ... personally I would replace it unless you know it's less than three years old, but even if so, it may have had a hard life and need replacing.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

we can assume it's charging as it's starting the engine ok, but doesn't hold a charge ..

Still points to an ageing battery ... personally I would replace it unless you know it's less than three years old, but even if so, it may have had a hard life and need replacing.

I believe the battery has passed a test and has dropped only 0.4 volts in three days... Is this a sign of a failing battery or maybe some small drain from something that didn't do so before?

I understand that to change the battery on this model is a major bit of business... it would be a shame to go to the trouble and expense to fit a new battery only to still have the small draining continue...

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Normally my engine battery sits at 12.8v when parked up and doesn't shift from this figure. But over the last few days it's been noticeably dropping when parked up. This morning it was down to 12.4v after 3 days parked. :Sad:

[HI]I haven't been doing anything different with the van to usual.[/HI]

I believe the battery has passed a test and has dropped only 0.4 volts in three days... Is this a sign of a failing battery or maybe some small drain from something that didn't do so before?

You may well be correct JJ .. but distance diagnosing is to say the least difficult, I am only going on the info provided by the OP..

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Van is coming up to 6 years old - have no means of knowing if battery has been replaced before. But why would it need replacing if the ATS test showed the battery was good? :Confused:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Van is coming up to 6 years old - have no means of knowing if battery has been replaced before. But why would it need replacing if the ATS test showed the battery was good? :Confused:

I absolutely appreciate what your saying .. but without physically checking I can't give an answer.. from what you describe about it's location I doubt it's ever been checked or given any TLC ..

To establish whether the drain is caused by a parasitic load or if it's just old age would require further testing which can't be done from an armchair.. The only way to test for a parasitic load is to remove the negative cable from the battery and connect a digital ammeter between the battery and the cable.. it should read 0.000 amps

Bear in mind, clocks, alarm systems, radios etc all draw a very small current that will eventually flatten the battery no matter how well it's charged and an old battery will be less capable as it ages, despite testing ok, batteries lose performance over time.. some last 4 or more years .. others can fail in 6 months or less if abused.

Havewheelswilltravel

Free Member
Feb 25, 2011
Farnham
Funster No
MH
American RV A class
Exp
God 1st a Bedford when the wheel was invented
I had much the same problem after a few days battery voltage dropped and never had the problem before checked batteries swooped them around still loosing charge, just happened after 2 weeks needed something out of a locker opened locker and light was on found the switch was faulty replaced switch and all ok now.

Hope it's something as simple for you.

Alan

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
Your statements suggest that you do not have a security alarm fitted???
If you do have an alarm, and it is armed, it would normally run a vehicle battery down in a few weeks........the plot thickens:Cool:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I had much the same problem after a few days battery voltage dropped and never had the problem before checked batteries swooped them around still loosing charge, just happened after 2 weeks needed something out of a locker opened locker and light was on found the switch was faulty replaced switch and all ok now.

Hope it's something as simple for you.

Alan

Hi Alan. I hope it is too. I've checked every switch I can think of, but they've all been off. :Sad:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Your statements suggest that you do not have a security alarm fitted???
If you do have an alarm, and it is armed, it would normally run a vehicle battery down in a few weeks........the plot thickens:Cool:

Do they?? :Confused:

No, I do have an alarm fitted (VanBitz Strikeback), but that's been there for over 2 months without causing any noticeable drain down. I use it most nights but have never noticed any difference to the voltage reading whether it's been on or not.

My plot is quite thick enough already! :winky:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The only way to test for a parasitic load is to remove the negative cable from the battery and connect a digital ammeter between the battery and the cable.. it should read 0.000 amps

Was going to try this - Heyuplad is here with a multimeter - but it's proving impossible to get onto the wee bolt to disconnect the negative. :RollEyes:

I've found an auto electrician listed about 8 miles away so think I will be phoning them on Monday to check everything out .............

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The battery is proly past its sell by date.. At 6 years old you should consider replacing it any way...

What a lot of people miss is the fact that a battery that is past its prime will also put a strain on the charging circuit of the vehicle.. The alternator will be working hard trying to bring the battery up and KEEP it up to its natural gassing voltage of 13.8v

But in all honesty .. I do think you are perhaps being a bit paranoid.. If everything is working ok why worry :Smile:

A battery can change its quiescent voltage with all sorts of things.. temperature being the most obvious but an odd one is air pressure ! ( I did know the reason but having done the course on lead acid cells some 40 years ago I am blowed if I can remember !! )

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Was going to try this - Heyuplad is here with a multimeter - but it's proving impossible to get onto the wee bolt to disconnect the negative. :RollEyes:
I've found an auto electrician listed about 8 miles away so think I will be phoning them on Monday to check everything out .............

This is a false economy, get the bat changed and check the negative cable from the battery before connecting it. You know it makes sense. :thumb:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The battery is proly past its sell by date.. At 6 years old you should consider replacing it any way...

What a lot of people miss is the fact that a battery that is past its prime will also put a strain on the charging circuit of the vehicle.. The alternator will be working hard trying to bring the battery up and KEEP it up to its natural gassing voltage of 13.8v

But in all honesty .. I do think you are perhaps being a bit paranoid.. If everything is working ok why worry :Smile:

A battery can change its quiescent voltage with all sorts of things.. temperature being the most obvious but an odd one is air pressure ! ( I did know the reason but having done the course on lead acid cells some 40 years ago I am blowed if I can remember !! )

I don't know that the battery is 6 years old. Although with the difficulty to get at it, replacement is probably something that previous owners would have delayed as long as possible. If I could be bothered to go outside and open the bonnet up yet again, I would take a photo to show you just how inaccessible the ****ing thing is! I did consider replacing it - that's why I took the van over to ATS in the first place. They tested it and said it was fine.

If keeping an eye on things and hoping to avoid a potential failure is paranoid, then I'm certainly paranoid and glad of it! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
This is a false economy, get the bat changed and check the negative cable from the battery before connecting it. You know it makes sense. :thumb:

Economy doesn't come into it! I took the van to ATS fully prepared to pay the £110 quoted to replace the battery. So they test it as fine, but I say 'You're wrong. Change it anyway.' ??

I'm also fully prepared to pay an auto electrician to check out the wiring.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me thinks you are confusing ATS comment Fine does not equal perfect
The battery may well perform happily in the tested range for quite a while yet
Go looking for problems and you will find them
Monitor voltage over a week or two before condemning the battery
Geo

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Economy doesn't come into it! I took the van to ATS fully prepared to pay the £110 quoted to replace the battery. So they test it as fine, but I say 'You're wrong. Change it anyway.' ??
I'm also fully prepared to pay an auto electrician to check out the wiring.
It is your call maz but me thinks if the battery is showing any signs of age like Geo says then proceeding with the extreamly difficult job of replacing it is best done now under controled conditions rather than on the first frosty morning when you are all packed up in your Sunday best with a ferry to catch.:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I don't know that the battery is 6 years old. Although with the difficulty to get at it, replacement is probably something that previous owners would have delayed as long as possible. If I could be bothered to go outside and open the bonnet up yet again, I would take a photo to show you just how inaccessible the ****ing thing is! I did consider replacing it - that's why I took the van over to ATS in the first place. They tested it and said it was fine.

If keeping an eye on things and hoping to avoid a potential failure is paranoid, then I'm certainly paranoid and glad of it! ::bigsmile:

We ended up changing our engine battery this year as it's performance had dropped. After much checking and rechecking of all possible power drains we decided it was oldish age (our first thought anyway) and asked for it to be replaced when it had it's MOT. Apparently there was much swearing, cursing and bruised and bloodied knuckles. Possibly a strained back too. As it was we were using a local garage. The guy in ATS may well have looked and thought he did not want to do it... he will get paid for his day without actually touching anything!
We got through quite a few batteries when we had lorries, generally they got sluggish and then a cold night just killed them and made for a bad (or no :Doh:) start to the day. The last few nights have been unseasonably chilly and the days not much better. In my opinion, unless the electrician is cheap I would get the battery done as a precaution. Jane :Smile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It is your call maz but me thinks if the battery is showing any signs of age like Geo says then proceeding with the extreamly difficult job of replacing it is best done now under controled conditions rather than on the first frosty morning when you are all packed up in your Sunday best with a ferry to catch.:thumb:

Yes, I agree with that. Now all I have to do is find a garage that is able/prepared to do the job for me. :Smile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We ended up changing our engine battery this year as it's performance had dropped. After much checking and rechecking of all possible power drains we decided it was oldish age (our first thought anyway) and asked for it to be replaced when it had it's MOT. Apparently there was much swearing, cursing and bruised and bloodied knuckles. Possibly a strained back too. As it was we were using a local garage. The guy in ATS may well have looked and thought he did not want to do it... he will get paid for his day without actually touching anything!
We got through quite a few batteries when we had lorries, generally they got sluggish and then a cold night just killed them and made for a bad (or no :Doh:) start to the day. The last few nights have been unseasonably chilly and the days not much better. In my opinion, unless the electrician is cheap I would get the battery done as a precaution. Jane :Smile:

I would certainly like to get the battery changed. :Smile:

The following photo shows just how tricky this is going to be:

Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Photo very small - battery is top left if you're wondering where it is ..........

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I would certainly like to get the battery changed. :Smile:

The following photo shows just how tricky this is going to be:

Link Removed

Link Removed

I think you should stop prevaricating and do the job properly.

Change the van with one that has a better battery access ! :Doh:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I think you should stop prevaricating and do the job properly.

Change the van with one that has a better battery access ! :Doh:

I'm convinced the van was built around the battery! :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back