WiFi - SatNav - Bluetooth - Music (1 Viewer)

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm sure a lot of you are using all these but thought I would do a little review on what I use and what I will be putting in my MH, maybe help someone else?

I use an Android based HTC Desire mobile phone, which comes pre loaded with Google Maps, I find it the best Sat Nav out of all I have used although it does have some limitations, it needs a data connection! I pre load the maps on WiFi in the house before I leave and then leave the 3G connection on for any updates which it usually doesn't need unless I change route.

The Desire comes with a "WiFi Hotspot" option that I use to connect my laptop too, of course again you need a good 3G signal but find it more reliable than trying to pick up another WiFi signal, broadband speeds when it's a good connection! It is wireless so no cables needed from laptop to phone.

Music Player - 32 gig card in the Desire which I load my music onto.

Connect all this to an amazingingly cheap but well equipped Wharfedale Stereo in the car, Handsfree bluetooth, stream music, USB charging point, SD card slot and all for £49.99 at Argos :)

So whilst I am driving, the satnav is going on the phone, the music is playing on the phone, the stereo cuts the music when sat nav instructions are read out through the car speakers and cuts the music when I take a phone call which is played over the speakers. Stereo has a small MIC for phone calls.

When I stop, switch on the WiFi hotspot and I have an internet connection.

Maybe preaching to the converted? but thought i may help some? ::bigsmile:

Anyone else using similar setup?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Like you Ally, I use my smartphone (Nokia E72) for a many things - music, emails, blog posting, Fun checking, videos of City goals at Wembley etc but you seem to have taken it a few steps further...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Like you Ally, I use my smartphone (Nokia E72) for a many things - music, emails, blog posting, Fun checking, videos of City goals at Wembley etc but you seem to have taken it a few steps further...:thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Yeah forgot - use it for all that too :) (apart from the City @ Wembley bit ) :)

I still find it amazing that it can do all those things, I'm just waiting on the "bring beer from fridge" app :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Do exactly the same via the same phone.

Are you running a stock ROM? Have the Cyanogen Gingerbread ROM on mine which improved battery life no end.

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Do exactly the same via the same phone.

Are you running a stock ROM? Have the Cyanogen Gingerbread ROM on mine which improved battery life no end.

Yeah stock Rom at the minute, I had an early Desire and it suffered fromm the Motherboard problem, overheated and kept rebooting after about a years use. They sent me a replacement handset around a week ago, this one is great and battery life is about two days now whereas the other one was a day or less, not sure why but a vast improvement!

I keep looking at the Android forums and want to use the different ROM's but been scared of breaking it :)

I jailbreak iPhones for friends but for some reason not done it to my Android :Confused:

Easily enough done?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had the Samsung Galaxy S more than a year now.. and yep, use it as a WiFi hot spot if I canna get on to another..

With T Mobile and it costs me £15.00 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited ( fair use ) internet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Just need the mobile network providers to have realistic international data roaming packages. Few years off seeing that though I fear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back