Mobile problems may be solved (1 Viewer)

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Running it on my phone. Quite surprised how much it reports I do have a 3G signal to be honest.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
considering we've only had mobile phones for the last 20 odd years and we did quite well without them before that, i cant see the problem of a bit of patchy signal coverage.
annoying, but not the end of the world.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Its only for those with iphones and therefore useless.....

errrr no, it's for those with androids, but agree, it's useless, takes no account of handset, and whether indoors or out .. or doing 90mph :Doh:

I'd rather they spent money on providing a better home broadband .. this is during the day.. of an evening it drops to less than 2.. this is third world speed.. an absolute disgrace that we are spending cash on overseas development when we don't have a modern communications network of our own :Angry:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
More knowledge is better than less knowledge. Hence I'm happy to take part.

There are lots of houses now going without fixed lines as they have mobile connectivity, so why pay twice for something they rarely use.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Downloading government funded spyware into your phone....hmmm......let me think for a nanosecond...NO WAY :Eeek:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
However, if you take the time to check what information is being sent out you would know it was harmless ;)

Easy to do with Android and to block anything you don't want to go out.

It is sending out nothing that doesn't already go out to the mobile towers. In fact far less as it does not send personally identifiable information. Just the reference so it can tack the single device and then the network provider, 2G/3G type, location and transfer speed.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Sorry my mistake. I knew it was one way or the other...just made the wrong choice...

My comment still stands that its useless for most of us...I want a phone not a mobile computer...

Unfortunately its a case of your phone is not capable of doing what they need, so its not a case of excluding people. Dumb phones can only do dumb things, which for many is plenty. However the rest of us can generate data that will hopefully result in you benefiting from future targeted network improvements.

Apple's case is because the walled garden of Jobs will not allow it interaction with the phone they need.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are lots of houses now going without fixed lines as they have mobile connectivity, so why pay twice for something they rarely use.

mobile connectivity in our neck of the woods is a joke .. No 3G and GPRS is patchy.. lucky to make a mobile phone call let alone use data.. .. and the land line is wet string strung across the fields.. I believe , not a joke, installed by the army during WW2 for communicating with the coastal bunkers :RollEyes:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Can be patchy around here too.

Hence why I am more than happy to help evidence where it is and they need to invest to benefit everyone, no matter what type of mobile connectivity they need.

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More knowledge is better than less knowledge. Hence I'm happy to take part.

Problem with that being, BT are so behind the times (along with other telecoms) they won't let you have a Broadband connection without a landline, they tell you it can't be done when in fact it can!

It angers me!

We are waiting on Fibre being installed in our area, exchange is done but not available just yet. Then I will dump BT and go with virgin who offer a Broadband only line :)

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
By dropping the land line I mean going to 3G for getting on line via dongles and 3G routers.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
However, if you take the time to check what information is being sent out you would know it was harmless ;)

Easy to do with Android and to block anything you don't want to go out.

It is sending out nothing that doesn't already go out to the mobile towers. In fact far less as it does not send personally identifiable information. Just the reference so it can tack the single device and then the network provider, 2G/3G type, location and transfer speed.

Sorry, but don't be so naive, once you let any software in you don't know it may be doing behind the scenes. For one it will know exactly where you are at any time, ok that is done already in certain circumstances, but I am not assisting in that. :thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Sorry, but don't be so naive, once you let any software in you don't know it may be doing behind the scenes. For one it will know exactly where you are at any time, [HI]ok that is done already in certain circumstances, but I am not assisting in that. [/HI] :thumb:

think you will find that is done and kept on record at hmg instance

by mobile operators by use of your phone position between the masts

whether its smart or dumb

so if you have a mobile switched on someone is able to see where you is:Eeek:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Sorry, but don't be so naive, once you let any software in you don't know it may be doing behind the scenes. For one it will know exactly where you are at any time, ok that is done already in certain circumstances, but I am not assisting in that. :thumb:

Actually, I do know exactly what it is sending out because I log it and can filter it. I work with technology day in day out and am quite comfortable with what it is doing.

Every smartphone knows where you are at any time with no applications installed. If you take that view of the world, unfortunately you'd best not use any technology at all.

Afterall your IP address is traceable everytime you post on here unless you take steps to ensure it isn't.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just realised..

Think I will download the app and see what they make of a trip around Europe !!!

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years

DNS translates friendly names into IP addresses. DHCP assigns your IP address.

iPhone and iPads for example are permanently tracked by Apple for location.

Admittedly Google do the same with Android, the difference being one is anonymous ;)

If you don't want your phone tracked, switch it off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back