hobbynobby

Free Member
Jul 22, 2010
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C.Class
Exp
:Blush::Blush:Hi,we are planning our first trip to France in September and if anyone has got any suggestions then it would be a big help:helpsos:.
OK,I am being a little dramatic but we really would like to plan a route that does not use the Toll Roads all the time and gives us the chance to use some good sites near to town or villages.
We initailly thought we would head down to the South of France and visit the popular places like St Tropez,Nice and Cannes but should we avoid them and head for other areas in the South?
We have a couple of weeks and then we are heading down to Spain to meet some pals so if you have any suggestions for a trip down France then they would be very much appreciated.
Thank you very much
hobbynobby::bigsmile:

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
We went to Salou last year on our first big trip told tom tom no tolls and tom tom did the rest and we went to some fantastic towns and villages on the way down and did the same on the way back via Andorra. absolute dream of a journey. Others with more knowledge of France and Spain will be along soon.
My wife was worried about facing on coming traffic and said after about a hour she had no worries at all. We had no plans and just stopped at aires that took our fancy on the way.

Rob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK,I am being a little dramatic but we really would like to plan a route that does not use the Toll Roads

Simples.

Google Maps.

Get Directions.

Options - avoid toll roads.

And a good idea too because French tolls are roughly equal to the cost of fuel.

Via Michelin will give you a route with toll costs but google maps does a superb job, hard or impossible to beat by hand.

Because the Nice/Monaco coast is steep and mega expensive it is not motorhome friendly, limited expensive sites. Try the ACSI site for help or buy the ACSI dvd.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We didn't use one toll road on our 2 months tour round France, we just set the snooper to avoid toll roads and went to some lovely places, we used the acsi sites everywhere and the acsi DVD is brilliant even plotting a route for you, only thing with the acsi is you cannot choose to avoid tolls I dont know why, so had to accept them when planning where to go but relied on the Snooper really, It didnt let us down!!!

Thanks Jim for the info on the costing of tolls, we plan to go as far south in France for the winter and wanted to know the cost of tolls using motorways getting there versus the cost of going through villages.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
All the advice about France on here is valid. We had our first trip there in June.
The most useful advice I had was given on here simply said "France is a doddle." Couldnt agree more.
Our only plan was to turn right from Calais and head in the general direction of the sun.
Worked a treat for us.
Take the ACSI and Aires books with you, listen to advice and you wont go wrong.
Dont plan too much, France is a big place.
Crap tea bags, take plenty.
Enjoy.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Agree with everything that has been said and really must emphasise just how vast a country France is! So don't be too ambitious. Setting the satnav to avoid tolls works a treat. We were a bit confused, however, when we headed toward Honfleur with the intention of crossing Le Pont Normandie. We were being directed away from the area and did not realise why until it dawned on me that the bridge has a toll on it so we had to temporarily remove the toll restriction. Otherwise no problem.
Wyn

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
ACSI

I agree with all of the above but most of all "DON'T FORGET TO JOIN A.C.S.I., it will pay for itself after using one or two sites.
Good luck,
Adrian.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
1..Purchase ACSI Book
2..Purchase All The Aires Book

Purchase a large Scale road atlas of France..Don't rely on Satnav a large scale map gives you a good overall view of an entire area and sat nav is notorious for going wrong just when you really need it!!

Above all enjoy france it's extremely Motor Home friendly!!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I;m sure you've got them but don't forget your safety items:
Warning triangle (I carry 2 in case needed on narrow roads)
1 hi-viz jacket per adult accessible without leaving the vehicle (easy in a m/home)
Set of bulbs (I drove round for a few years with set of bulbs in glove box--the found out none actually fitted my car!)

Just take a few seconds before pulling out of garages, lay-bys etc... to check you do pull onto the right hand side of the road. Be esp careful if you are coming out of an "exit only" giving you a right and left option--our natural instinct going left is to pull onto the left. nearly done it a couple of times coming out of local DIY store--and I've lived here 4 years.

Some good info is here: Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back